Author Topic: Michael Dwyer Siblings  (Read 35682 times)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Dwyer Siblings
« on: Wednesday 18 May 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have any information on the siblings of Michael Dwyer the 1798 rebel.  I heard many years ago that my mother's family, which came from the Glen of Imaal on both sides, had a connection with Michael Dwyer through his sister.  My mother's family names were Keogh, Kelly, White - all from the Glen - and Bourke (or Burke) from Hollywood area.  The townlands the family were connected with were Knocknamunnion, Seskin, Leitrim, Stranahely, Coolmoney, Coliga and Camera.  I think the Dwyers might have connections with the latter.  There is, understandably, plenty of material on the web about Michael Dwyer's immediate family and descendants but I haven't found anything on his siblings and their families.

I would appreciate any help.

Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Dwyer Siblings
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 19:22 BST (UK) »
dont know if you've already seen these but some other posters asked about Michael Dwyer a while ago

see :

Dwyer
  John Dwyer, father of Michael Dwyer famous Wicklow rebel
  Descendants of Michael Dwyer Genealogy, born 1772, Wicklow Chieftain

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane

Thanks.  Yes, I've seen those.  My interest is in Michael Dwyer's sister and her descendants - whoever she was.  Years ago, there was a programme on RTE radio - or Radio Eireann, as it was then - called "Meet the Clans", as far as I can remember.  Probably in the 1960s.  The presenter was Eoin 'Pope' O'Mahony.  In one of those programmes, he dealt with Michael Dwyer.  My uncle, Tim Keogh - a famous bagpiper - appeared on the programme and O'Mahony sketched out his relationship with Dwyer.  I was, unfortunately, too young to take it in or remember any of the details.  Deep regrets now, of course.

Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline genseacher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 11 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Dermo

I am researching Michael Dwyer as well. The above links and site our from me.
I am trying to get info on Michael Dwyer's father John Dwyer, who his siblings were. (Interested in the male line)
In relation to Michael Dwyer which sibling(s) are you interested in.

Regards
Genseacher
Byrne - Wexford
Carey - Dublin
Clifford - Dublin
Dwyer - Carlow and Wicklow
May - Dublin
Moore - Dublin
Noctor/Naughter - Wexford tarahill
Rooney - Dublin
Rossiter - Wexford
Wafer - Wexford and Dublin
Whelan - Carlow

Offline genseacher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Dermo
While looking through my file on michael dwyer siblings of Michael Dwyer (2) ( I did not know I had this info)

1 John Dwyer + Mary Byrne

2 James Dwyer

2 Peter Dwyer + Catherine
   3 Elizabeth Dwyer
   3 Catherine Dwyer
   3 Thomas Dwyer
   3 James Dwyer b 1824
   3 Hester Dwyer b 1824

2 Esther Dwyer

2 Catherine Dwyer + Laurence Donoghoe
   3 James Donoghoe
      4 James Donoghoe
   3 John Donoghoe + Mary Ann Shepherd
      4 Patrick Donoghoe + Mary O'Hara
           5 T N Donoghoe + Margaret
      4 Elizabeth Donoghoe b. 1843
      4 Catherine Donoghoe b 1844
      4 Robina Donoghoe b 1847
      4 Maryanne Donoghoe b 1849
      4 John Donoghoe b 1850
      4 Esther Donoghoe b 1855
      4 Margaret Donoghoe b 1856
      4 Theophilus Donoghoe b 1862
      4 Augusta Donoghoe b 1863

2 Mary Dwyer + John Neil

2 Michael Dwyer b 1772 d 25 Aug 1825 + Mary Doyle b 1777 d 1860

Regards
Genseacher

Byrne - Wexford
Carey - Dublin
Clifford - Dublin
May - Dublin
Moore - Dublin
Rooney - Dublin
Rossiter - Wexford
Whelan - Carlow

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 May 11 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Genseacher

Sorry I didn't see your initial post until now.  I am mainly interested in Michael Dwyer's sisters and who they might have married.  My understanding is that my Glen of Imaal relations are connected on the female side.  As of now, I don't know exactly how.  My mother's parents - John Keogh and Anne Kelly - came from the Glen (born circa 1880).  Their mothers were White and Burke, so I have a few avenues to explore.  (My great grandparents were born mid-1830s to 1850; two to three generations removed from Michael Dwyer).  My great grandmother White came from the Camara townland where, I understand, Michael Dwyer was born.  I read, too, that his father farmed near Seskin - another townland with which my relations are connected.  I'm hoping to verify the Dwyer connection as I work back.  Your information, I hope will help.
I know Michael Dwyer, his wife and children were transported to Australia.  I am presuming some, at least, of his siblings remained in this country.  Can you confirm that, and maybe which of them stayed since it must be with one of those that my family is connected?  So far, the only surname familiar in what you have posted is Donoghue.  One of my grandfather Keogh's sisters married a Donoghue but that would mean the connection is quite tenuous .  I'm hoping the relationship is a bit more solid than that but, if not, so be it.
I'm very grateful for your help.  I've seen your website and greatly admire what you have achieved.

Best regards

Dermo

Offline genseacher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 May 11 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Dermo
Michael Dwyer and his wife Mary decided not to take their children (the 4 eldest) to New South Wales as it was too dangerous. It was 20 years later 1828 that the 4 eldest children arrived in Australia (3 years after Michael's death) and were reunited with the other 3 children (who were born in Australia) one brother and two sisters. From looking at my file on Michael Dwyer it seems all children settled in Australia and died there too.

As for Michael's siblings I do not have much information on them.
There was another brother John Dwyer not on list above b. approx 1782.

My link which I am researching is with the male line - Dwyer and I think it would be either a brother of Michael Dwyer or Michael's father John Dwyer. I have not found the link yet.
My great great grandfather was Patrick Dwyer (Carlow I think) who married Ellen Doran (Carlow)
and one of their children was Ann Dwyer (B. 1861 Carlow Bagenalstown) who is my great grandmother
Ann Dwyer married Patrick Whelan
and one of their children is Michael Whelan who is my grandfather

Regards
Paula
Byrne - Wexford
Carey - Dublin
Clifford - Dublin
May - Dublin
Moore - Dublin
Rooney - Dublin
Rossiter - Wexford
Whelan - Carlow

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 May 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
Paula

I can imagine the difficulty of trying to establish relationships that go back into the 18th century.  I'm not that far back with my researches yet.
I meant to ask,  do you know if Michael's siblings continued to live in Wicklow?

Regards

Dermot

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 May 11 17:52 BST (UK) »
Paula

Further to my previous posts,  a sister of my grandfather John Keogh married a Tom Donohoe who, I now find, was her first cousin.  If he was connected with the line descended from Catherine Dwyer through her marriage to Laurence Donoghoe it would make a more than tenuous connection.  However, note the slight difference in the spelling  - Donohoe/Donoghoe.  I'm sure that could arise over time but is the "g" definitely in the surname you found?

Regards

Dermot