Author Topic: West Mark School, Petersfield  (Read 69090 times)

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: West Mark School, Petersfield
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 09 November 14 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes Ramsey, what a good idea. How about extending this to other ex Westmarkers, say a reunion? The only problem I can see is how to advertise this to everybody in Rootschat and to a wider field/audience? Has this been done before for W/M? Any ideas? Anyway we can meet in Woking anytime - that would be great.

Mike

Offline ramsey barber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 November 14 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi mick yes a meet in  Woking sounds good,I don;t know Woking that well,I know the Station and Macdonalds in the centre,we could meet outside there say midday this THURSDAY 13th what say you?
  Ramsey Barber

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 November 14 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Evening Ramsey.
Sorry I can't make it this week, but next week, commencing 17th looks pretty clear so far you choose a day. Venue - there are two Mc Donald's in Woking, the one nearest to the Station is Waterloo House, 11-17 Chertsey Road we could meet there, though parking could be a problem.
Otherwise, I could find a pub in or near Woking to meet for lunch. Would you be coming by car?
Regards.  Mike

Offline ramsey barber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 November 14 20:52 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Mike how about a meet on Thursday 20th Midday at Chertsey Rd Macdonalds Woking we could just meet there and go elswhere for lunch.I will  be coming by car and I Imagine I;ll park in the Peacock Centre , Or I know the Otter Pub at Ottershaw [ on the roundabout] What say you.
Regards Ramsey 

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 November 14 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Ramsey, it's a deal, but at 12.30 the Otter pub car park in Ottershaw on the 20th, I look forward to meeting you. I'm on mobile 07713 923569, in a BMW series one silver/blue.

Mike

Offline ramsey barber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike 12;30 it is at the otter ,I'm in a black Panda and looking forward to it
Ramsey.

Offline fay66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all old West Mark Camp School Pupils.
Just found this chat room and signed up.
I only attended the Christmas Term in 1952 when I was 14 years old, I'm the youngest of 3 boys and I've never figured out how I came to go to West Mark, while neither of my older brothers did, and I have no recollection why I went in the first place; at the time I was a pupil at Chamberlayne Wood Road Secondary Modern School, Kensal Rise, NW10, I finished school at the Christmas in 1953 as I turned 15 in the november..
I would like to second the many previous comments about how good West Mark was, and others happy memories, I remember the experience with great affection, I loved being there except that I was never any good at sports, and my pet hate was the cross country runs in the cold, wet, & mud, and if my memory serves me well I was always among the back markers.
However I loved the practical way history was taught, with Excursions out as already mentioned.
One that stands out was when we visited the Naval Dockyards at Portsmouth, besides being shown over HMS Victory, we were also shown over the aircraft Carrier HMS Warrior, what an experience it was standing on that huge deck!
I also remember after our trip to Chichester we all went round to Mr Keatings home in Chichester for tea, I know he could be a bit of an ogre, but I liked him very much.
IF you look on Friends Reunited site, a while back I posted that I have the school magazine from the Christmas Term 1952, which had been produced by the pupils, at the time I had everyone I could sign it, also listed were the staff and their positions. and I posted these names on Friends, I've never had much of a response, although I offered to copy the magazine if anyone was interested, not receiving any requests up to now, I haven't bothered to copy it.
This evening I've been on a real nostalgia trip with Brian Waxman, who was also at West Mark in 1952 and beyond, Brian rang me and it's the first time I've spoken to anyone who was at West Mark for best part of 60 years, and we were talking for over an hour!
I don't remember too many people from back then though, but Brian and myself intend meeting up in the near future, he lives in Amersham and I live in Silsoe Bedfordshire, so not a million miles away.

I was in Buriton , and my best pal was Vivian Harris who came from Tottenham, not too long after both of us had returned home I cycled from my home at Kensal Green, to Tottenham to meet up with Viv, I think I kept in touch for a while, but shortly afterwards my parents broke up & I went with my Mother to live near Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire, so we lost touch, assuming he hasn't fallen off the perch I'd love to meet up with him, so if anyone has any information would they please let me know.

I went back to West Mark about 10 years ago and was disappointed to see hardly anything left, although I think a new house had been built there, the Dell is still there and we drove past the church which was our sunday morning destination, and it was just if if the clock had been turned back 60 years, what happy memories, and I think how lucky I was to go there.
I note from the National Archives site that Hampshire Records Office have the files on West Mark for between 1949 and 1955 when it closed, does anyone have a copy, to save me having to contact them?
I think the idea of a reunion for all ex pupils that can still get around! is a great idea and I'd be interested in helping to put something together if there's enough interest in a reunion, in or around Petersfield seems the obvious choice?.
Brian Hilton

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brian
Nice to hear from you. Your idea of a school reunion sounds great. Through Rootschat I met Ramsey Barber also an ex West Marker, we had lunch in Woking just before Xmas. Ramsey has a number of photos and printed matter relating to the school. Your right, if we do meet it has to be initially the Half Moon Pub. Perhaps we could get permission to visit the actual school ground. Wow that will be nostalgia after all these years. I wonder how best to advertise this reunion to get as many ex West Markers together? I live in Guildford so Petersfield is just down the road.
Kind regards

Mike Pitson 

Offline fay66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brian
Nice to hear from you. Your idea of a school reunion sounds great. Through Rootschat I met Ramsey Barber also an ex West Marker, we had lunch in Woking just before Xmas. Ramsey has a number of photos and printed matter relating to the school. Your right, if we do meet it has to be initially the Half Moon Pub. Perhaps we could get permission to visit the actual school ground. Wow that will be nostalgia after all these years. I wonder how best to advertise this reunion to get as many ex West Markers together? I live in Guildford so Petersfield is just down the road.
Kind regards

Mike Pitson
Hello Mike,
Thanks for your reply, I did read your postings about meeting up with Ramsey, sounds like it went well.
good idea about meeting at the Half Moon, i'd forgotten all about it, i'll look up on line and see if they do food as usually suits most people.
Any idea who owns/runs the old West Mark site? if we can find out I'd be happy to contact them, we'd also need to visit late spring/summer when hopefully we would have dry conditions, all of us are mid seventies + now and no so steady as we once used to be.
It would also be worthwhile contacting the local paper to see if they'd run an article, but that's getting a bit ahead of ourselves.
Not sure how many of the visitors to this forum are ex West Mark Pupils, but this and friends reunited is going to be the main contact point (I'll put a note on there that we're hoping to have a reunion later this year, and see if we get any response), I don't 'Do' Facebook, but if someone does it might be worth putting out feelers there as well.
I live about 90 miles from Petersfield but I often get down to Goodwood, so it's no great hardship  for me as long as the M1 & the M25 are running ok!
Cheers
Brian
NOTE.
IF YOU'RE A EX WEST MARK PUPIL READING THIS, PLEASE LET US KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT A REUNION LATER THIS YEAR.