Author Topic: casey/davoren - any information welcome!  (Read 7650 times)

Offline cma

• RootsChat Member
  • grandad Casey
    • View Profile
casey/davoren - any information welcome!
« on: Thursday 19 May 11 03:40 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on any of the following:

James Davoren Casey - born in Ireland, Clare or Cork abt 1851. (Death Cert lists Cork but Casey & Davoren appear to be more common names in Clare & both appear on the Griffiths valuation in the same area)

parents: James Casey - b.abt 1820 & Bridget Davoren - b. abt 1819

James Davoren came to Australia (Sth Australia) to join his two brothers Jeremiah Darby & John - not sure when but maybe early 1870s; he married here in 1876 to Amelia or Emily Quinn.

Ideally, I'd love information on when the 3 boys travelled to Australia plus where in Ireland the family lived as well as anything else to be found on James & Bridget (parents).

Researching James Casey is a bit like looking for John Smith! I've posted this to the Cork board as well because of the notation on James D's death certificate.

thanks in advance,
cma
Wallace, Casey, Arnold, Speed, Wells, Bullen, Cassidy

Offline Marien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: casey/davoren - any information welcome!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 March 12 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi CMA
Lovey to come across some one else looking into the Davorens of South Australia.  I have been researching Thomas Davoren who arrived in SA Feb 1858, died 1895,  Initially he lived at Willunga and eventually moved to Norwood.  I know he came from Co Clare however I have not got beyond that point at this stage.

There are so many variations to the spelling of Davoren so that adds to the challenge.

If I find anything on your James I will post it on this site for you.

Good luck
Marien
Douglas, Jones, Couper, Harper, Miller, Bailey, Harder, Wallmann, Davoren, Kearce, Wegener, Fischer, Jungfer, Lindner, John, Schubert, Meesen, Gnerich, Franz, Hausler,

Offline cma

• RootsChat Member
  • grandad Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 12 06:19 GMT (UK) »
hi Marien,
great to hear from you - i'd given up on this message! do you know anything else about Thomas? James Davoren Casey's son James Leonard was born in 1886 in Stirling SA, but later lived in Norwood where my mother was born in 1915.

thank you for the offer of posting information here - so many brick walls but i guess i'm not very good at researching overseas either.

cheers,
Carleen

Offline Marien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 12 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carleen

I have a lot of Thomas DAVOREN Australian story pieced together but nothing for Ireland yet.  I am very much a novice too on the overseas research. Have you tried the County Clare Library site?  Also there is a site called TheShipsList which is good.

Cheers
Marien
Douglas, Jones, Couper, Harper, Miller, Bailey, Harder, Wallmann, Davoren, Kearce, Wegener, Fischer, Jungfer, Lindner, John, Schubert, Meesen, Gnerich, Franz, Hausler,

Offline cma

• RootsChat Member
  • grandad Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 March 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
hi,
no I haven't tried either of those sites but will certainly do so now! thanks :)
carleen

Offline rolfhm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 October 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
Dear CMA,
I'm fairly sure James Davoren Casey is my grandfather too. It seems he changed his surname to Fletcher and married my grandmother in Armidale NSW in the early 40s. The last of his three children with her, Davoren, was born shortly before he died.
Hope this is useful. Let me know if you need any other info and I'll talk to my mother and get back to you.
R

Offline cma

• RootsChat Member
  • grandad Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 December 15 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear R,
Do you mean James Leonard Casey? James Davoren Casey was my great-grandfather. James Leonard disappears from my records sometime after 1917 and I have hit a real road block trying to find any trace of him. It would certainly make sense that he changed his name!
Regards,
Carleen

Offline rolfhm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 December 15 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Dear Carleen,
Yes, sorry I do mean James Leonard Casey. Sorry, so many names! My mother Margaret (his daughter) would love to get in contact and learn more about your side of the family. Her father died when she was young and she knew very little about his life before he married her mother. What would be the best way to get in contact? I live in newtown in Sydney.
Best, Ralph

Offline cma

• RootsChat Member
  • grandad Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 December 15 22:25 GMT (UK) »
why do you think the two people are the same? I'm fascinated!
Carleen