Author Topic: casey/davoren - any information welcome!  (Read 7653 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: casey/davoren - any information welcome!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 December 15 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Some Wills..  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gnu/  based on where they DIED!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 December 15 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Some Wills where they are named as Beneficiary
(as per Search Criteria here http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/index.jsp !)..

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gnw/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline rolfhm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 December 15 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carleen,
It's quite a long story! It began more than 15 years ago when I tried to track down a copy of my grandfather's Irish birth certificate so that I could apply for an Irish passport. I could find no record of James Leonard Fletcher son of James Davoren and Amelia Quinn - but I did, almost by chance, find a record of a man called James Leonard Casey with very similar sounding parents. The name Davoren was the key. My uncle is called Davoren Fletcher. Mum knew that her father had been married before, but the story went that his first wife, and the father of his two elder daughters, had died.
It seemed to me that they Casey and Fletcher may be the same people. They had the same birthday - except Casey was born in 1886 and Fletcher claimed to be born in 1890. And Casey was born (to Irish parents) in SA, not Ireland. I obtained a copy of casey's marriage certificate to his first wife, and compared it to a copy of Fletcher's certificate to my grandmother, and their signatures were identical, except for the surname!
My uncle Davoren said that after the death of my grandfather in the mid forties, my grandmother (who lived in Armidale in nsw) advertised in the  Melbourne papers for his family, but we don't know if she knew he had changed his name and advertised under Casey or Fletcher. My guess is she never knew.
I'll get my mother to send me the details that she has. From memory they were living in Melbourne when he died - because of the war they'd come south to live with my grandmother's sister. My mother has always wondered about her elder half sisters, but has never been able to track them down.
Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll ask mum.
Best,
Ralph

Offline cma

• RootsChat Member
  • grandad Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 December 15 03:12 GMT (UK) »
This is incredible - it's been a dead end for so long that I had given up all hope of finding him! I have sent you a PM with my contact details. The photo on my thread is James Leonard at about 20 in South Australia; he worked for my great grandfather Speed in the Alma Hotel.
Carleen
Wallace, Casey, Arnold, Speed, Wells, Bullen, Cassidy