Author Topic: James THORPE - arrival in Australia  (Read 10897 times)

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James THORPE - arrival in Australia
« on: Thursday 19 May 11 12:17 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the date of arrival in Australia of James [/bTHORPE/ THORP. His wife, Jane and their five children came out to Australia on the "Adam Lodge" in 1837 with James' brother, John. They travelled from Donegal in Ireland. I am presuming that James was already in Australia - he and his wife had more children after her arrival in Australia. According to the details on the Thorpe headstone (in Maitland Cemetery), James was born C1803.I have found a James Thorp in the "Bellona" which arrived in Sydney in 1793 but that was before he was born - so that is not him. James and his brother were supposed to be stone masons (and involved in building the Darlinghurst Gaol with convict labour) but when he died, James was a teamster travelling near Murrurrundi. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  :) Maxene

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: James THORPE - arrival in Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 May 11 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

From the newspaper cutting there's a Certificate of Freedom issued to a James THORP in 1834.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2216965  Sydney Gazette 30 August 1834

From the NSW State Records Office, that James Thorp arrived 1820 on the Elizabeth, and the CF was dated 7 June 1834.  Also he was likely tried at Lancester Assizes.  Most likely this would indicate a 14 year sentence.
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx

The building of Darlinghurst Gaol was commenced around the time that this particular James Thorp arrived in Sydney, so perhaps you could trace him through Musters and Census in the 1820's to see where he was assigned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlinghurst_Gaol

Hope this helps give you some further clues,

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 May 11 02:17 BST (UK) »
Majm ;D - what a great help you are!!! You have given me several avenues to pursue and they look pretty spot on. Thank you SO MUCH!!!!! I will post any further info I get on this. Thanks again. Maxene

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 May 11 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

James is a bit elusive but there is some early Sydney Directory info on John Thorp.

Sydney Directory 1858 (Sands & Kenny)
Thorp, John, mason, 3 Mount-street, Pyrmont

Sydney Directory 1863 (Sands)
Thorp, John, stonemason, 3 Mount-street.

Sydney Directory 1865 (Sands)
Mount -street, Pyrmont, West Side
Thorp, John, mason

Regards
Gerry

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 May 11 03:01 BST (UK) »

I think John THORP died the same year as his last Directory Entry, 1865

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0dbs/

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 May 11 03:11 BST (UK) »
Various families from Mount St and Little Mount St Pyrmont were stone masons working for the Saunders Quarries supplying the builders of Sydney's (now) historic buildings with the foundations ...

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 May 11 03:20 BST (UK) »
To Sue and Gerry Hi.  :D
Thanks for your help. You are absolutely correct. James is far more elusive than his brother! It took years and a number of false leads to find a record of James' death. It was recorded as Unknown Male Thorpe died at Murrurrundi 1858 and it wasn't until someone located a family headstone at Maitland Cemetery which had his date of death (plus his wife, son & grandson) info on the one headstone that we were able to work backwards and link him and the death record for 1858 in Murrurrundi. I had previously found the records for John that you have located but because he is not part of my direct line, I haven't pursued anything on him. Well, not at this stage anyway.
Majm, I think John Thorpe was in Pyrmont but James' children's births were registered at Maitland/Beresfield /Branxton. Not sure whether he just travelled home on weekends??????
I really appreciate the time you  have  all taken.
Maxene

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 May 11 04:51 BST (UK) »
Maxene,

I see in the Empire newspaper 23 rd April 1860 a mention was made of a Mrs James Thorpe of Rutherford near Maitland.  There was a murder inquest held at Mrs Thorpe's house which was located near the Ravenfield Quarry.

Wonder if this was your Mrs Thorpe and wonder if James may have worked at the quarry some stage as a mason!

Gerry

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 May 11 05:32 BST (UK) »
Wow! Gerry!  :o That is some find. I will have to try and find out more!!!!! I knew there were cattle duffers in the family...more scandal to potentially add????
I'll have to do some research. Thank you, Maxene