Author Topic: Mansfield burial please - 1847- COMPLETED  (Read 3874 times)

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mansfield burial please - 1847- COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 19 May 11 21:01 BST (UK) »
I`m hoping to find more about the death of Samuel Thurman (possibly recorded as Thorman).  He was born in 1762 in Nottinghamshire (possibly Blidworth) and in 1841 he`s in Ratcliff Gate, Mansfield with his son William - but is not with him in 1851.
There`s a death for a Samuel Thurman in Nottingham District Jul/Sep 1847 - it would be great if I could find out if this is him without having to send for the certificate (I`m trying to economise!)

Many thanks              Jane

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mansfield burial please - 1847
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

If your man died in Nottingham district then he would not necessarily be buried at Mansfield.

I can't help with the burial, but I did find this which could possibly be of interest - on the chance that your Samuel had a son of the same name. May be completely irrelevant, but I thought I'd post anyway. It seems to indicate this man's father died around 1847:

Nottinghamshire Guardian, Thursday, April 10, 1851; pg. 4; Issue 262.
On the 5th instant, at Fairfield House, the residence of Mrs. Wilson, Torquay, Devonshire, Mr. Samuel Thurman, of Derby Terrace, Nottingham Park, aged 42 years. He was a deacon of the church worshiping in the Castle Gate Meeting House, Nottingham, having been elected to that office in 1847, after the death of his father.

Alexander

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hello.... :)

Here he is......

Burial at Mansfield St Peter
SAMUEL THURMAN - 3rd Nov 1841 - aged 79 yrs - abode Ratcliff Gate

Also this one

Mansfield St Peter
ELIZABETH THURMAN - 30th may 1819 - aged 64 - abode Ratcliff Gate - Wife of Saml

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 May 11 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Dizzifish

thanks very much for that.  I would like to get a copy of Samuel`s death cert so I can find out what his occupation was.  I`ve search the death index on Ancestry for that period but the records are pretty well illegible.  Do you know if there is any other way I could find a reference for the certificate?

Jane

p.s. sometimes the surname is Thorman - but that hasn`t helped me so far!

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 May 11 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane...

I will have a look and see what I can find and get back to you.... I have to go out in a minute.... :)
If all else fails you could always buy the certificate from Mansfield Register Office, they shouldn't charge if they can't find it but they are usually very good.....you know the event happened in the Oct/Nov/Dec Qrt of 1841 and it is narrowed down by the burial taking place 3rd Nov so the death would only have happened a couple of days beforehand.

Just a thought, a death certificate that early may not give his occupation?

Sheila.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 May 11 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Just found - I think - your Samuel.  His surname is Thermon on the death
register maybe thats why you couldnt find him.

Samuel Thermon died 4 quarter of 1841 in Mansfield   ref Volume 15 Page 332

regards
Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 May 11 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much both of you.

I`ve had another look at the index and I think the one found by Sandymc is the best bet - I can`t see any more for Mansfield that look remotely right.  I`ll cross my fingers and send for the certificate.

Best wishes       Jane

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mansfield burial please - 1847 completed
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 May 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Sheila & Sandymc

Just to put an end to my query - I`ve now received the death certificate & Sandymc was right - the entry for Samuel Thermon was my chap.  It shows that he died at Ratcliff Gate & the informant was his son William.  It also gives his occupation as Frame Work Knitter - which is what I expected but it is good to know for sure.

Many thanks for your help

Jane

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 May 11 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thats great news Jane, it makes you feel good to find out information that is 150 years old. Well done and you got your man lol
 :)
regards Sandymc

p.s. There have been a lot of mentions of the Frame Work Knitters  lately on here. Very prevalent in Notts, Leics and Lincs areas. It didnt pay much making stockings but at least you could stay at home and look after the kids.
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown