Author Topic: McGregor, McLaren, McKerrachers  (Read 13022 times)

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGregor, McLaren, McKerrachers
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 May 11 21:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry.  117  will probably be burial plot number.
                              Kenny

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 May 11 21:47 BST (UK) »

Monk:  Haven't seen the Holy Grail for many years. I must have another look on my return to Canada.
           I have an address for a local heritage centre in Doune and intend to visit.  Is there such a thing in the Blair Drummond/ Gargunnock area?   Jan

Poppyd:  My McKerrachers were John b. 1743/44 at Glen Lyon, Fortingall  d. 1794  ?? m.  Elizabeth McNaughton
              He appears at #32 Kirk Lane in the 1814 Moss Census along with his son Finlay (b. 1783/84 Glen Lyon)  and his wife Janet McKendrick. They emigrated to Ontario  Canada with their kids in 1832. He died at age 84 and she at age 75. They are my 3g grandparents.  More information on them and their kids if they are a match to some one you are looking for.

Thanks all,  Jan

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 May 11 22:23 BST (UK) »
Jan.  The Information and Heritage centre is on the Main street in Doune opposite the old church (I stay a couple of streets away) The staff are friendly and Nigel Bishop who is in charge is very helpful as much as he can be. Blairdrummond itself is mainly farms with a few houses and Scotlands only Safari Park ( NO shops etc  ) it is only 2 miles from Doune. Gargunnock doesn't have a heritage centre (it only has one shop) but there is a website run by a local gentleman John McLaren  who knows quite a bit about the local area ,his family have been around there for many generations so you could try contacting him, mention that it was me who gave you his name Kenny Lauder.
Gargunnock is about 6 miles from Doune and 4 from Blairdrummond so you can easly get between them in a day.

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 May 11 22:27 BST (UK) »
Should have said that there is only about 8 or 9 houses on the Kirk Lane these days.
With the progress in agriculture over the years bigger farms appeared and the smaller holdings disapeared.

Offline poppyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 May 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,
I don't think we have a connection. My 3x great grandfather is Malcolm McKerracher or McKercher born at Fortingall in 1796 and son of Donald McKercher and Christian McLellan.
Thanks for replying .
Regards
Poppyd

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 May 12 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am also "trying" to research at least one McKerchar line from Fortingal Parish in the Glen Lyon.

As you would know, there were a number of Malcolm McKerchars baptised in Fortingal between 1795 and 1800; however, the main one of interest to me at this stage is Malcolm McKerchar born and bap. 27 Mar 1796 Camsuvrachan, Glen Lyon.

As yet, I have not confirmed his survival/death/ marriage/ locations. He was the son of John McKerchar (1746-1835) and Margaret Campbell from Slatich. His parents have left Glen Lyon post 1801 and settled at Tirai, Glen Lochay. I have researched a number of his siblings, with the youngest James McKerchar returned to occupy Dalcherlich for the 1841 - 1861 Censuses.

There are a number of possible spouses (if he did marry); however, I need the appropriate proof that makes the connection.

This John McKerchar was one of the McKerchars from Balnahanaid. His granddaughter Elizabeth McKerchar married into the McCallum/Menzies Clan from the Innerwick Inn, thus my connection and interest.

Looking to share information.

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 May 12 23:16 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Canada Keith,  My folks are spelled McKerracher but could be a variation.  Mine are John McKerracher and wife Elizabeth McNaughton who left Glen Lyon @ 1807 moving to Kir Lane on Blair Drummond Moss near Stirling. Their son Finlay & wife Janet were there until emigrating to Canada in 1832. Their son Robert is my 2G grandfather.

I went to Fortingall and Glen Lyon a year ago - found only 1 McKerracher stone.  The place I stayed was a ways down the Glen at Camusvrachan!!

Send me a PM if you'd like to know more.   Cheers,  Jan

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Annejan , interested in your McLarens. your Peter who dies in 1856. i am in contact with descendants of his brother Malcolm McLaren. see this link re these McLarens.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=doigk&id=I42290

send personal message and i will give you , their email address in Canada. have also looked at Peter's death certificate on Scotlandspeople , can e mail you too (supply your e mail)

yours gordon

Offline ab325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Annejan , interested in your McLarens. your Peter who dies in 1856. i am in contact with descendants of his brother Malcolm McLaren. see this link re these McLarens.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=doigk&id=I42290

send personal message and i will give you , their email address in Canada. have also looked at Peter's death certificate on Scotlandspeople , can e mail you too (supply your e mail)

yours gordon

Thank you so much for the link.  The link takes me to my gg-grandfather's line, but I did not see the McLarens that were from the Midlothian area of Scotland around Edinburgh and Restalrig. Two McLaren brothers, Peter (b. 1862) and George worked for the railroad.
Bryce (Doune), May (within 15 miles of Edinburgh), McLaren