Author Topic: Foot family  (Read 12668 times)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Foot family
« on: Saturday 21 May 11 16:44 BST (UK) »
I would be pleased to hear from anyone connected to Foot's from Dorset. My Foot's come from East Coker (Somerset) but mainly north Dorset and around Cerne Abbas. Mark

Offline Leilamargaret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Foot family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 11 06:48 BST (UK) »
Mark,

I am a descendent of George FOOT and Elizabeth DAVIS of Redcliffe, Dorset (5 X Great Grandparents) (married 31/03/1777), through their son George FOOT who married Susannah (possibly MULLETT) and lived at Lytchett Minster, Dorset.  George and Susannah FOOT christened 10 children at Lytchett Minster between 1813 and 1837, their 5th child Richard FOOT christened 1821 married Mary CURE in 1844.  Richard and Mary are my 3 X Great Grandparents.  Richard and Mary had 9 children, all state they were born Lytchett Minster in various census, but I have not yet found where they were baptised.  It would appear that the CURE/WINZAR families baptised their children in non conformist churches. george FOOT born 1850 was the third child of Richard and Mary FOOT.  He married Jane BAILEY? in 1870, they had a child with them on the 1871 census that was Ellen FOOT who was 10 months old.  I am yet to find any further record of this Ellen FOOT who may or may not have been the daughter of George FOOT, as it would appear that Ellen was born to Jane BAILEY prior to her marriage to George FOOT.  I am yet to verify all of this information re George, Jane and Ellen FOOT.  After the death of Jane FOOT (nee BAILEY) in 1872 George FOOT married Charlotte BRENTON, these are my 2 X Great Grandparents.  George and Charlotte FOOT had 7 children, including a daughter Charlotte Bessey born in 1878 who married Frederick Edwin SMITH in Oxfordshire in 1900.  Fred and Bessie SMITH emigrated to Australia in 1907.  I have gathered a lot of informaiton on this FOOT family.  Anyone else out there researching this family?

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 20:56 BST (UK) »
Foot family

many thanks for your email. I do have quite alot of information on many branches of the family. Do you have George's birth date? I have a Susannah Mullet married to a William Foot both born around 1790.

All the best,  Mark

Offline Leilamargaret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 01:07 BST (UK) »
Mark,

A lot of my information has come from the Lytchett Minster and Wareham Dorset OPC site.  My George FOOT and Susannah according to the 1851 census where they are living in Lytchett Minster were aged, George 71 and born Redcliffe Dorset, and Susannah aged 58 and born Dorset Lytchett.  They commenced baptising children at Lytchett Minster on the 7/2/1813 with their son George, and continued baptising all 10 children at Lytchett Minster, the last being a daughter Henrietta 30/06/1837.  In 1the 851 census the 3 children at home were David aged 20 born Dorset Lytchett, Henrietta aged 17 born Dorset Lytchett, and Elizabeth AMES aged 31 born Dorset Lytchett. 

When I found on the IGI the marriage of a George FOOT and Susannah MULLETT at Gosport in 1812 (I know I do not know their ages or witnesses or fathers name, as I have not seen the register), I marked this as a probable marriage of my George FOOT and Susannah.  With the information on ages and birth places from the 1851 census I found a baptism of a George FOOT in Wareham to a George and Elizabeth FOOT on the 7/1/1780.  I then found the baptism of a Susannah MULLETT in Lytchett Minster on the 15/01/1792.  The dates of baptism fit with the ages given on the 1851 census.  I am aware that the children could have been older then a few months at the time of baptism.  I also found at Wareham the marriage of a George FOOT of Redcliffe Farm and Elizabeth DAVIS on the 31/03/1777.  Given that George and Susannah FOOT named their 4th child Elizabeth Davis FOOT, I believe that this is the parents of my George FOOT married to Susannah.  I am yet to verify who Susannah possibly was. 

If anyone has access to the Gosport Parish Registers and is able to look at the entry for marriage of George FOOT and Susannah MULLETT on the 5/3/1812 at the Holy Trinity Church and let me know what additional information is recorded I would appreciate it. 

I have noted FOOT and MULLETT connections when I have been undertaking my research.  I would be interested to know what informaiton you have on your William FOOT and Susannah MULLETT born about 1790.  I have found a William FOOT and Susannah MULLETT marrying at Mappower on the 22/3/1790, witnesses were John FOOT George LEGG.  I have not connected this William FOOT with my FOOT family at this stage.

I am at a disctinct disadvantage, in that I really have not looked into the relative distances between a lot of these locations relating to the FOOT family.  Something I have to do .

George FOOT and Elizabeth DAVIS married Wareham 31/03/1777.  I believe th following children baptised at Wareham could belong to them: following children at Wareham:

George 7/1/1780
Richard 1/1/1784
John 18/4/1786
William Davis 4/1/1792 (born 19/11/1788)

On the 24/7/1811 there is the burial at Wareham of a Elizabeth FOOT wife of George FOOT aged 65, is this possibly the Elizabeth DAVIS who married George FOOT?  This would have made birth of Elizabeth about 1746.

On the 21/09/1785 there is the burial of a George FOOT aged 64 at Wareham.  This would have made birth of George about 1721.  Is this the George FOOT who married Elizabeth DAVIS?

The children of George FOOT and Susannah baptised at Lytchett Minster are:

George 7/2/1813
Susannah 9/10/1814
Eleanor 11/8/1816
Elizabeth Davis 18/4/1819
Richard 2/9/1821
John 2/11/1823
William 14/8/1825
Sarah 27/4/1828
David 27/3/1831
Henrietta 30/6/1837

I have some information on all of the children of George and Susannah FOOT except their daughter Susannah.  I am descended from the Richard FOOT and Mary CURE line.

Regards,

Leila

Offline j_russell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was a foot and his name is : William John foot born thornford 1883 and died 1951 and married alice ada peckham.

William's siblings are: charles 1883, sidney 1886, percy 1894, benjamin 1897
Im unsure if there is any more. But i have traced the foot family back 1720 in cornwall.

look forward to hearing if we are connected.

Josh

Offline mhfoot51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 June 13 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark and others in this thread,

My name is Martin Foot and I live in Melbourne, Australia. I'm interested in discovering family links in the UK. To date,I have relied entirely on ancestry.com, which has provided me with the following information: My gg grandfather William John Foot was born in Blandford (Forum?) in 1818, was baptized 31 May 1818 in Stourpaine, married Jane Rebecca Hooper Maidment in 1846 (either 4/10 or 7/12), was living in Islington, Middlesex in 1851, but by 1856 was on the goldfields at Long Gully, Sandhurst, Victoria, Australia (Sandhurst was later renamed Bendigo). His death is noted as 20 Jan  1888 in Bendigo, however, the death record gives his age as 78 and his birth year as 1810 which is puzzling. He had nine children, three born in the UK and the remainder in Australia, including my g grandfather Walter Henry Foot. Can anyone help me find William John or Jane Rebecca's ancestry?

thanks

Martin Foot

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 June 13 10:30 BST (UK) »
There's a Dorset baptism of a Jane Rebecca Hooper Maidment 7 Oct 1827 parents James a mariner and Jane.  Abode Longfleet.

Henry Hooper Maidment baptism 7 Feb 1830 parents James a mariner and Jane.  Abode Longfleet.
James Hooper Maidment baptism 4 June 1823 parents James a mariner and Jane.  Abode Longfleet.
William Hooper Maidment baptism 2 Sep 1822(?) parents James a mariner and Jane.  Abode Poole.

The Hooper name is a good indication they were siblings. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 June 13 10:43 BST (UK) »
Father James is marked as deceased when son James marries in 1849.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 June 13 10:48 BST (UK) »
The marriage for William John Foot 7 Dec 1846 gives his father as Bartholomew Foot sailor.

Marriage for James Maidment & Jane Hooper 22 March 1819.
Pick - Frocester Glos