Author Topic: Possibly Evangelist Gipsy Simon Smith?  (Read 13480 times)

Offline maxtyler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly Evangelist Gipsy Simon Smith?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 June 11 16:31 BST (UK) »
The large photo is Gipsy Simon ..

Offline maxtyler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 June 11 00:15 BST (UK) »
The oldest man in the group photo does not resemble my great grandfather .. Simon ..could it be Naomi's husband or some other family member ??The mouth doesn't look to be the same or the nose.. but I could be wrong.. my mom has looked at it also ..

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 June 11 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there, Heather - thanks for getting in touch.  I'm your 3rd cousin, once removed (Naomi, Susan, Clara Naomi, June Beatrice and me, Sarah Louise a.k.a. Sarah-Lou).  Please email me if you're interested in exchanging family tree info.  My tree has 10 children for Simon, two of whom were called Violet, so I'm assuming the earlier one died and that she would have been one of the twins - do you have the names and d.o.b. of the twins?  Can you shed any light on the group photo, here?  Another Canadian descendant of Simon's, Liana Brennan, thinks it could be Simon.
Best wishes,
Sarah-Lou (email: sairhug at hotmail dot com - usual at and dot)

Offline maxtyler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 June 11 04:32 BST (UK) »
So good to hear from you Sarah -Lo (( my 3rd cousin ..one removed))
This is so exciting.. getting in touch with family !! Where are you living ??
I am living in Niagara Falls . I would love to get involved in the family tree with you . I will give you my email as well
it is  *  I am on facebook as well ((Heather Paisley))  I will have to get some photos scanned and on here for you to see.

My mom is certain that in the group photo that is not her grandfather Simon.. she has no clue on who the others could be.
Madge ,Don and the twins were born in Canada ,the rest were born in England .

My Great Aunt Violet was born in England before the twins as far as my mom knows..

I added more info to my first large post if you would like to go back and re-read it..

I beleive you have been in contact with my Great Aunt May's... son (Larry's)... daughter

Take Care
Heather

* Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 June 11 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I do not think the two men in the photos are the same.  I have placed them side by side so that you can see how different they look.
Having said that, I can see some similarities so perhaps they are related.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 June 11 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks - definitely not the same guy now they're side by side.  The earlobes give it away  ;D.  Even though, when I first clapped eyes on the photo I'd immediately thought "That's Simon Smith!" I had started to doubt it when the date was set at around 1912, because no way is the young man in the photo 37 (Simon having been born in 1875).  Hmmm.  His youngest brother, Bartholomew was born in 1884 ...

Offline momofreds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 02:57 BST (UK) »
I too am the great-granddaughter of Gipsy Simon Smith.  My Grandmother was May (Alice).  I would love to chat with you maxtyler and exchange info.  Britgal and I have been in contact for a couple of years now.    If my memory serves me I thought that the boy twin, died either at birth or shortly after and the girl lived until about age 2.  The reason that I believe that is that the photo that Nana used to have hanging in her hallway included the youngest girl.  I too am not sure of the name, but Bella or Rose comes to mind. 
I will contact you through FB.  I would love to see what photos you have and it you know of the one that I am searching for of the family that includes the youngest girl.  I just had a scan of a photo sent to me that has 7 of the children, which is a great find.  I am still hoping to find a copy of the other one that has more of the children in it.
Also, and Evangelist in South Carolina, that I met published a small book on Gipsy Simon Smith, just last year.  It is very interesting and you may wish a copy.
Here is the photo I just received.

Offline maxtyler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
That is a wonderful photo.. Aunt May was very special to my mom.. she would always get her fancy outfits and spend lots of quality time with her.. they had a very special bond. My Uncle David had the original
 "Adventures of a Gypsy Boy" it was lent out to Aunt Dorothy for copies to be made and sadly,never returned . Not sure what happened to it after she passed away .. Would you happen to know where it is by chance?? It had alot more detail than the copy we acquired from Texas..

My mom says the twins both died a few weeks apart .. of pneumonia . She says that is not one of them in that photo . I will get a scanner and get some photos on here.. and get some form my mom.

It would be great to get info on getting a copy of the book you found down in the US .  from you ..
please look me up on facebook and we can talk some more. I get to Toronto often  as well .. maybe we could meet up for coffee some time..  Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Heather

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 21:45 BST (UK) »
Wow, what a fantastic result!  I'm so glad you've made contact with each other :) :) :)

You might consider continuing your conversation on another board or by email...not that I want to be a wet blanket, but we're going off topic now ("on topic" being restoring photos  ;) )

Cheers
Prue