Author Topic: Ebenezer Atkinson Thirsk  (Read 4870 times)

Offline still-searching

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ebenezer Atkinson Thirsk
« on: Saturday 21 May 11 22:11 BST (UK) »
Could someone please help me go back one generation?

Ebenezer Atkinson m Hannah Adamson 1809, Kirby Hill. Pallotts record. He was a Blacksmith and Publican.

I have looked on IGI and found a record but the birthplace was Hartwith (about 24 miles from Thirsk).

In 1841 he can be found here:

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1249; Book: 1; Civil Parish: Pickhill; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 3; Page: 8; Line: 9; GSU roll: 464231.

He died in 1850.

Any help very much appreciated, thankyou.
Jones, Knight, Bateman, Lightfoot, Ostler, Childs

Offline still-searching

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ebenezer Atkinson Thirsk
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 May 11 13:33 BST (UK) »
Do I need to give more information if I can find any?

Thank you

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 May 11 16:58 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census generally rounds ages down to the nearest 5 so that someone showing as 20 could be up to 24 etc.  That being the case you may need to expand your dates for searching.   Taking 70 from 1841 means you need to be looking from 1771 back.
Andrea

Offline still-searching

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 May 11 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. I got confused re your 1841 - 70 doesn't = 1809 but I see you have edited. I thought it was me going mad  :'(

I realise the early census ages are very unreliable I was concerned about 24 miles between known living area and possible birth area. I guess it's feasible.

Thanks again.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 May 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
Yes, I got confused too!    One problem is that the IGI is not full coverage so there could be several other baptisms in churches which are not on it.  The only way is to work out from the original place and search all the registers.  It is very time consuming.  Atkinson is such a common name in that area too.
Does the marriage entry hold any clues in the way of witnesses?   Did he leave a will?
I am assuming that the Ann who is with him in 1841 is a daughter, or even grandaughter.  What children did he have?    He may have named them after his parents.
Andrea

Offline still-searching

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 May 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
This is what I have found:

Birth year clueless unless his age as 71 +/- tolerances on 1841 census is correct

Married Hannah Adamson 1809 Kirby Hill - only occupation and from Thirsk information on record

Died 1850

Children: Henry 1813, James 1818, Anna 1821 - 1892 (my 2nd gt. grandmother) - found by trawling through PRs.

The family settled in Pickhill.

I have looked and looked but probably overlooked something that will be glaringly obvious to someone else  ??? so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. As he is direct line I really want to go back a little further.

Thanks again.

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 May 11 19:57 BST (UK) »

The 1841 does state Ebenezer was born in county. Although the IGI record mentioned for the birthplace, states Hartwith - it also has the place of Ebenezer's baptism ( 11th November 1768 ) and their residence as St. Botolph, Bishopsgate in London.

I wonder if this birth is supposedly the same as the above :

Ebenezer Atkinson
Birth, 11th November 1768
Knaresborough, Yorkshire
Parents : James and Jane Atkinson

For some reason this doesn't sound right to me. Not a lot of help really, but I agree with Andrea - I'm not sure his birth is listed online.

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline still-searching

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 May 11 21:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying Pels. Looking at it logically, well as far as I can, the family do seem to be rooted in Pickhill. That's the reason I didn't accept the Hartwith location.

I accept that one or two children could be born outside of the family area due to Mother visiting relatives but not a bundle of them.

I thought it would a fairly easy name to research - wrong!

Thanks again.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 May 11 23:01 BST (UK) »
A possible way forward might be to get a copy of the marriage record from the parish records (not the pallots record as they don't usually have all the information) as there might be extra information on there taht couyld help you identify him going back
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.