Author Topic: Yuill and Cochrane Family- Paisley-Renfrewshire  (Read 4452 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Yuill and Cochrane Family- Paisley-Renfrewshire
« on: Sunday 13 June 04 02:24 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was a Yuill with ancestors from Paisley Scotland.  I am hoping to find more information on my Yuill family.  

Dugald Yuill married Janette Cochran In 1860 at High Church Paisley.  Dugald Yuill, born 1836, was the son of James Yuill and Margaret Hardy of Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland. He was a shawl weaver and Janet was a warehouse girl.  Janet was the daughter of Michael Cochrane and Margaret Young, born in 1839.  Dugald Yuill and Janette Cochran arrived in the US about 1868.  They had 4 children in Scotland and 5 more when they arrived in the US.  The 4 born in Scotland were born in Abbey, Paisley, Renfrewshire.  Dugald Yuill had the following children: James, Margaret, Robert, Dugald, Alexander, William, Janette, Elizabeth and Isabella.

Alexander Yuill (my g-g grandfather), Jessie Kennedy Yuill (ALex's wife), Janet Cochran Yuill and Dugald Yuill are all buried in Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn NY.  Alexander Yuill and his brother Dugald Yuill were block cutters in Brooklyn.  William Yuill (Alexander's son) was an electrician.  William was an only child born in 1892 in Brooklyn.

I would love to know if anyone has some of the Cochrane and Yuill's in their tree.

If possible, could someone look up the Dugald and James Yuill in the 1861 Scotland Census.  Thank you.  I beleive they were in Paisley, High CHurch or Abbey.

George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Yuill and Cochrane Family- Paisley-Renfrewshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 January 05 02:09 GMT (UK) »
I have found a bit more on the Cochrane family since I posted this message.  Wondering if there are any Yuills out there to connect with. Love to hear from you!!- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 February 05 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Here is a website with more on the family.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~howiefamily/

Offline Georgie7372

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 07 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi I saw your post and thought I'd respond (albeit a good few years after your original post!).

I've been researching my husband's side of the family and we have an Agnes Yuill (B circa 1842, D 10/09/1906).  She was the daughter of John (Robert) Yuill and Agnes Lawrence.  John was a surgeon.  Agnes Yuill married my husband's Great-Great-Great Grandfather, William Black and they had numerous children, amongst whom was Thomas Paterson Black, he in turn had Thomas (my husband's great-grandfather).

Hopefully we might have a match somewhere along the line.

Best wishes

Georgina Black

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 01:40 BST (UK) »
The names don't ring any bells. My family seems to be more of the working class as it is littered with weavers and block cuttters. I will keep the names just in case.

Offline Georgie7372

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 April 07 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I found the following entry in the 1861 census;

1861   YUILL   DUGALD  M  24  ABBEY BURGH/RENFREW 559/01 032/01 004

If you would like me send you a copy please let me know.

Georgie

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 02:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the offer.  I have them in the 1861 census now.  - Kristin

Offline johnyuille

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 November 16 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi nutkin

A living Yuille here. My grandfather was John Yuill born in Dumbarton 1898, my great grandfather was  John Yuill born in Glasgow in 1868, my great great grandfather was William Yuill born in Paisley in 1835, and my great great great grandfather was James Yuill or Yool born in Paisley in 1792. Any help?

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 November 16 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply! I am willing to be we are related. Your James is probably the brother of my Dugald Yuill bapt in 1780 in Paisley (my 5xs great grandfather.)  Son of James Yuill and Margaret Campbell. Dugalds's son was James Yuill who had a son Alexander Yuill who immigrated to the US and settled in Brooklyn NY. My grandmother was Gertrude Yuill.

Cheers Kristin