Author Topic: Shumacker Johnson Wedding 1844 Cork  (Read 8822 times)

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Fin Barrs Cathedral records 1844
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about or have access to marriage records in the cathedral for 1844.

I have not posted names because I have asked for enough help regarding this marriage in other posts.

I have only recently found confirmation that this marriage did indeed take place in the cathedral, hence the reason for this specific request regarding the records

I believe that the parish record exists in the RCB. Can I request a copy of this?

I don't expect it to have much detail but it would be nice to have some record of this elusive family

I have the date of the marriage, confirmed through different sources

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Fin Barrs Cathedral records 1844
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 04 February 16 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Names etc. please
Maggsie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 04 February 16 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Take your pick- there are at least 4 topics looking for marriage:

topics merged
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 04 February 16 14:30 GMT (UK) »
As I said I didn't include names. As you can see from the links above I have periodically consulted the collective wisdom of rootschatter over the years, beginning I think in 2011. This wedding did not appear in any records, and even with help we could not find it. All I knew was the date and place, Cork.

As of two weeks ago I found confirmation that the wedding took place in the cathedral ( a newspaper announcement) hence the specific request re records held.

Sorry I do not know how to link previous questions. I did mark them all as completed.

Now I not only have a specific date but confirmation of location.

Maggsie, if you can offer any assistance with information regarding availability and/or access to records of marriages at the cathedral I would be very grateful.

If I knew that the records definitely existed I might be able to proceed.

Offline tabbey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Church of Ireland Cork 1844
« Reply #49 on: Friday 05 February 16 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Anglican communion is known in England as Church of England
                                            in Ireland  as Church of Ireland
                                            in Scotland as Church in Scotland    (Church of Scotland = Presbyterian)
                                            in US         as Episcopalian.

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Shumacker Johnson Wedding 1844 Cork
« Reply #50 on: Friday 12 February 16 16:34 GMT (UK) »
I have made enquiries to the RCB regarding this wedding in 1844.

I've been told that marriages for 1844 do not appear to survive for the cathedral in Cork, that there is a gap between 1804 and 1845, a year too late for me.

It has been suggested that I look at the records of the Registry of Deeds, in Henrietta St Dublin, that the sources in the Registry of Deeds were not affected by the fire in 1922, and include surname indexes organized on a county by county basis. See http://www.landregistry.ie/eng/ I have been told that often marriage settlements were registered there.

Does anyone know anything about these records?

What were marriage settlements? Are they only for some people and not others? This marriage was between a sugar boiler and a brewer's daughter so I wouldn't imagine there was much money around.

"Dec 1 by the very Rev the Dean of Cork, in the Cathedral, Kate youngest daughter of the late Mr Noble Johnson of this city to Mr Henry Sochomorker of Germany"

This from The Evening Packet, Thursday December 5 1844

I may have to satisfy myself with the newspaper announcements

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 12 February 16 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The Johnsons were probably well off  as generally it was only well to do /landed gentry who submitted their birth/marriage/death information for publication in the newspapers.   

Noble Johnson is listed on the Estate records - 

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=2838

You will notice that Noble Johnson had a connection to Castletownroche, Barony of Fermoy and also leased a house named Rockenham, at Marmullane ( Passage West).    From what I remember of your queries I think initially you mentioned Fermoy????   

Catherine's father  you say was Noble Johnson.   Well a Noble Johnson was Lord Mayor of Cork City in  1809   this man may have been Catherine's father or grandfather.   I think we may have mentioned this information previously too.

Marriage settlements were almost always done prior to the wedding.   It  was a legal agreement   between  the parents of the bride and possibly the father of the groom.  I have an original one where the parents of the prospective bride assigns a large acreage of land ( over 150 acres) to the bride and groom for them to set themselves up.   A lot of marriages were arranged between two well to do families known to each other and often related so that they could keep the estates within their families.

It might be worth it to gain access to the Marriage settlement records as it might give you Catherine's mother's maiden name and also the address where the mother resided at the time of marriage, I think Noble had died by 1844 ( not sure if you mentioned that before or if is said deceased on marriage notice in newspaper).   You would also learn what land/house/money they were given on their marriage.

You still have a lot of searching to do.

Mary
Celtic Liberty.

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 13 February 16 07:07 GMT (UK) »
I certainly do.

Interesting as it doesn't really fit with what I know.

Catherine Johnson married a sugar boiler, his mark appears on subsequent birth certificates instead of a signature, although he did end up as a manager of a refinery in Glasgow thirty years later.

Her father was listed as a Brewer.

These other Noble Johnsons pop up a lot, probably because they were well to do. I need to figure out if they were connected and how. The lack of certificates and records makes this tricky.

Catherine's father was dead in 1844. Catherine and her husband left Ireland a few years after the wedding.

As you say, a puzzle why the announcement appeared in various newspapers if they weren't well to do

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 13 February 16 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Don't dismiss the idea that Henry Shumaker had money just because he was a sugar boiler.

We are fairly sure that he worked for Evans, Thwaites & Co in Cork. He may well have been the only skilled employee ... as the boiler, he ran the production of the refined sugar surrounded by unskilled labourers. It's quite possible that neither Evans nor Thwaites got their hands dirty in the sugarhouse and without Henry production would have ceased. If that was the situation he would have earned good money.

He was, or became, a skilled man because he went on to manage the refinery of Murdoch & Doddrell at Port Dundas in Glasgow.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017