Author Topic: Need help with location in Bethanl Green  (Read 13825 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with location in Bethanl Green
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 May 11 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

As there was only one death registration for a Jane Coulson in the December quarter of 1851 that would be the Jane buried in adjacent Hackney who was aged 38.

If you have proved from censuses they were both still alive on the 1851 census then your chances of finding them buried in a churchyard and therefore with an entry in a church register in the more central area around the city of London diminishes rapidly as the 1850s proceed. Past 1854/1855 nearly all burials were in cemeteries most of whose records are not online (around 150 were established for present day London over the years including into the C20th crematoriums). Even before 1854/1855 burials were switching to the first newly established large civic cemeteries that began to be built in the 1830s and 1840s.

Have you found both Thomas and his wife on censuses?

If Jane junior was born circa 1814 then her parents births would be likely to be in the 1780s/early 1790s but no later and it could be earlier if Jane wasn't the eldest child. Most of the population if they had survived that long didn't live much beyond their 50s.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 May 11 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,

Oh dear, now I am confused. If the Jane Coulson who died in 1851 was 38 then she could be Jane Coulson the daughter, who was born 1813 Durham, and not the one buried in St James the Less. I think I need to get some death certificates :-)

I'm pretty sure Thomas had died by 1841 as he's not living with his wife and children in the 1841 census. He was born 1789 in Haughton le Skerne.

In 1841:
St Saviours Southwark - Grove 300
Jane Coulson 55 head Independent means
Jane Coulson 25 independent means
Hannah Coulson 20
George Coulson 20 flax dresser
Thomas Coulson 4
all not born in county

In 1851:
St Saviour Southwark Surrey - 1 1/4 Mary Anne Place
Jane Coulson 70 (or 74) head widower Scotland
Jane Coulson 37 daughter unmarried Durham flax dresser
Hannah Coulson  34 daughter unmarried Durham flax dresser 
Thomas Coulson 13 grandson  unmarried Yorkshire scholar

I know what happened to the rest of the family - Hannah married Charles Robinson 1851 St Saviour, George married Elizabeth Tweddle 1845 St John's Waterloo and grandson Thomas married Maria Sarah West 1868 Halifax.

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 May 11 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Jane Coulson burial in Hackney gives no indication she wasn't of the parish. Her death registration is in Middlesex.

From the censuses you don't have any evidence that Thomas Coulson died in the London area. He may have died before the family moved down to Southwark. If he did die in the London area, the 1851 census gives Jane senior's birth as at least circa 1781,  so this burial could be Thomas' since it is of a compatible age

28th May 1837 St George the Martyr Southwark
Thomas Coulson aged 60 Suffolk Street

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 May 11 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,

That's a good point - I hadn't really considered Thomas dying before the family came to London. I guess I thought that a widow wouldn't move her family to the city but then again George would have been 23 in 1841.

I think the Thomas Coulson who died in 1837 is too old. He would be born ca 1777 - my Thomas was baptised 18 Jan 1789 in Haughton le Skerne.

Regards
Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 May 11 14:13 BST (UK) »
The Cross Bones Cemetery is now located on Red Cross Way.  Which used to be Red Cross Street.

In my old A-Z (1920/30's) it is still shown as Red Cross Street, but as someone who lived in the area (am now pushing 60) I have always known it by the current name of Red Cross Way.

As for making it a 'tourist' destination.  That would in my opinion be inappropriate.  London is rapidly becoming little more that a theme park (will not go on anymore as I get so frustrated!) The women who were buried here were nearly all lost and it is only through local activists etc., that this site was not demolished and disappeared under new buildings.  I think that it is still in jeopardy, it is a prime location.

I do think that a room one of the local buildings should be made into a museum, whereby people who are interested in the history of this very sad place, could find out more.  And maybe some research done into those who are known to be buried there, not that many unfortunately.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)