Author Topic: PENROSE family Cornwall  (Read 3314 times)

Offline giddeygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PENROSE family Cornwall
« on: Wednesday 25 May 11 03:19 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the burial sites of the family of Thomas and Sarah (nee Sowden) Penrose.
Their children were: Jane b. 1823; Betsy b. 1825;William b. 1834; Sarah b. 1836; John b. 1838; Mary b. 1840; Paul b. 1842; Thirza b. 1844; Elijah b. 1846; Joseph b. 1848.
Thomas senior died in Oct qtr 1849 in Launceston, vol. 9 p.102 I think, and Sarah died either in Liskeard, Jan qtr 1863 v. 5c p.44 or Liskeard Jan qtr 1865 v. 5c p.43.
I think Joseph died in 1858, April qtr Lauceston v. 5c p. 20. I cannot find Sarah's, Thomas's or Joseph's burials.
Any ideas of places other than churchgrounds?
Thank you. GG

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: PENROSE family Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 08:39 BST (UK) »
Thomas Penrose 11-Dec 1849 aged 49 residence Kelly Bray Corner, Joseph Penrose 01-Jun 1858 age 9 residence Launceston Union, Sarah Penrose 22-Mar 1863 aged 59 residence Linkinhorne in burials Stoke Climsland in Cornish Parish Records (Good possiblilities due to the years being in correct order)

http://www.stokeclimslandparish.org/church_history.htm Genuki has Stoke Climslands Church contact details.

The thing about 'Launceston' is it seems to include all the small parishes surrounding it, I am certainly finding it with my family (not related to yours ;)
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline giddeygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 10:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. Giddeygirl

Offline Alisunny

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 February 17 17:02 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother was Alice Penrose, her father Paul married to Emily (nee Hern).
Paul's father was Thomas Penrose married to Sarah (nee Sowden).
Paul Penrose was previously married to Ann Giddey but was widowed. Paul spent a month in Bodmin prison for embezzlement. Hopefully the only member of the family with a criminal record!!

My Grandmother Alice, Paul's daughter was born in Stoke Devonport. She spent some time in Canada (I believe there are relatives, cousins there) but returned to UK and set up home in Paddington, London W2. She married George Scott. They had three children Margaret (my mother), Julia and Ken.

Would be lovely to hear from anyone from the Penrose / Hern / Sowden family. I live in Essex xx

Offline mrs magoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 01:22 GMT (UK) »
I might be a very distant Penrose decendant living in New Zealand,i have 11x Grandparents John Hill and Alice Penrose marrying 15 sept 1595, Wendron Cornwall. My ancestors on Dads Grandmas side lived in Cornwall for a long time,until A decendant couple Hanibal Gilbert and Elizabeth Congdon his wife and family came to NZ 1860 to Otago,nz. I have sent my DNA test recently and waiing on results. Would love to know any cousins on these sides of family. My maiden name is Jacobs and Married name Beaver   
Karen