Author Topic: Tracing my Holdsworth family beyond 1800! Can someone please help?  (Read 22979 times)

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my Holdsworth family beyond 1800! Can someone please help?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 14:47 BST (UK) »
I knew that there were lots of Gills in the Forest of Knaresboro area so when I saw
My Gt Gt Gt Grandfather was Charles son, William Holdsworth b.1819, who married Mary Gill in Otley
I remembered finding information about Gills on the Harrogate people site.
Whenever I hit a potential brick wall and even if I have no problems at all, I look at the bigger picture.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
Information on marriage of Charles and Mary Hornby, I don't think it came via a Calverley.info link?
Using IGI pilot, 24th July 1833 marriage of Charles Holdsworth to Mary Hornby location Otley.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 18:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brian, I went back to my Ancestry tree yesterday and was thinking I was going mad as I couldn't find the marriage on calverley.info again.  I hadn't made any note of the marriage there either. This then must have been Charles second marriage as William was born in 1819 and Thomas in 1821, Mary 1823, Ann 1825 Maria 1831.  So this means that Charles, Harriet and Susannah may well be the only children by Mary Hornby.

William and Mary had , Charles Henry (my Gt gt Grandfather) a combination of his and her fathers names, William Thomas (is this a clue to gt Grandfathers names?), Mary Jane (is this after step-mum and Mother?), Smith Gill (Mary's Mother was Hannah Smith) and Nancy Hannah. 

Brian and Dave, I like the idea of looking at the bigger picture on this one.  I've trawled all through Cudworth's books and can find definite links to many of my other family lines that show established links to the areas for generations back, but my Holdsworth line just seems to appear in the area in 1841. This family line wil disappear with my generation, because my Dad is the last remaining Holdsworth and he only has girls.

Cheers,
Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 21:11 BST (UK) »
I am in the same boat re family survival!
Me and my 2 daughters, my 2 sisters had sons.
Ah well now back to business.
So have you had a look round Otley (why choose Otley for marriage of Charles and Mary?)
http://www.wharfegen.org.uk/
 Brian

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 23:25 BST (UK) »
Good point Brian, whay would they marry in Otley?  Mary was actually born in Idle, but I can't track the Gill family further back in the area either.  Henry Gill, her Father was also a Farmer.  I will go back and check the marriage certificate again later this afternoon, just to be sure about Otley, as I just checked my Ancestry tree yesterday.  One reason for marrying out of the area, may have been shame, as William may just have come out of jail.  He was sentenced to 9month jail in Oct 1841 and they married in Sep 1842, not long after he was released.  I wonder where he would have gone to jail?  Do you know if any further records still exist?

Thanks for the website address, I wouldn't have discovered this on my own.

Cheers,
Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 May 11 06:31 BST (UK) »
For old newspaper articles I use a link via my local library, but that is down as we speak.
(For prison I would thing Armley Gaol) :o
Given the year of marriage of Mary, she could have gone to Horsforth/GuiseleyRawdon churches (Leeds areas)
or non conformist church Bradford areas (other than Calverley).
Just looked at above church records on Genuki. http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/index.html
Holdsworth named people there also.(Horsforth/Guiseley)
 Brian

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 May 11 08:02 BST (UK) »
Jill,
The Gills were prolific in the Fewston area which is just North of Otley. There is an on line burial web site for Fewston Parish Church ( can be found under 'Teal family history' http://www.tealfamily.co.uk/fewgen.html ).
Places of marriage were usually at the parish church where the bride was living at the time.

Armley prison started to take inmates in 1847 but York and Wakefield are likely candidates.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 May 11 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the correction Dave.
 Brian

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 May 11 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I just went back over my notes and it was Susannah Holdsworth's birth/baptism that was on the Calverley.info site where I first saw Charles Holdsworth listed as Father and Mary Hornby Mother, birth cert confirms this.  I checked today and found Charles and Maria's Baptism/births also listed on the site.  No sign of the older children though.  Yet William and the others are listed as being born in Idle/Calverley.  I think that probably confirms there was a first wife. The church was in Idle (I've just forgotten which one) the same one that Mary was buried at in May 1838.

Confirming also that William and Mary Gill definitely married in Otley so the link with Charles and Mary Hornby marrying there is worth exploring although all children were born in Idle/Calverley.

Thanks for the other web-sites to explore.

Jill

Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange