Author Topic: Holy (Holley or Holly?) Family  (Read 7220 times)

Offline Andalula

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holy (Holley or Holly?) Family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 July 16 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all, This is all new to me, but while researching, I came across a Mary or Maria Holy in county Sligo as mother in baptismal records of Bridget/Brigida Warren (with William/Guillermus Warren).
NLI Catholic records:
Microfilm 04603 Drumcliff; County of Sligo; Diocese of Elphin. Baptisms, Jan. 1844 to Feb. 1844

Should other people need to broaden their search, I wanted everyone to know that this name is found elsewhere.

That said, I have no reason to think it was ever another name, even if it was -- I just don't know. And Warren is such an English sounding name, it wouldn't surprise me if this Holy turned out to be Anglo-Irish. Also, I'm not even sure this is my ancestor.

I found this record because I hit a brick wall and started randomly searching for family with the right names (Bridget of Wm and Mary Warren), at the right time, and this family fits the bill perfectly, although that would be a shock if I lucked out in some way. I know they left between children, as one is born in Ireland (US census says "free states of..." but you never know), and the next is born in 1847 in the US, so that puts departure 1844 to ~1847 along with so many others.

If anyone has information on this Holy-Warren family in county Sligo, I'd be all ears. Or for that matter, any William & Mary Warren from any province with at least one child named Bridget who left circa 1845. I supposed they might have had other children who didn't survive the voyage, though that is a horrible thought. Bridget married a Michael McCarthy also born in Ireland, and there is a possibility that these two families knew each other back home -- from what I've read of other peoples' anecdotes.  Getting to the home county is not my only broken link, I also think they lived early on in Nantucket, but I'm having a hard time achieving certainty that the Warrens there are they. If the Drumcliff, co. Sligo Holy-Warren family is my family, they'd have left by the time Griffith's Evaluation started. And if it's not, I might be able to find them still listed as residing there. I'm just not well-versed enough yet to know exactly how to tease the info from the records, but I'll get there. I do know I'm doing this backwards. I just haven't got better ideas.

Cheers,

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 July 16 07:30 BST (UK) »

... Hi all, This is all new to me, but while researching, I came across a Mary or Maria Holy in county Sligo as mother in baptismal records of Bridget/Brigida Warren (with William/Guillermus Warren).
NLI Catholic records:
Microfilm 04603 Drumcliff; County of Sligo; Diocese of Elphin. Baptisms, Jan. 1844 to Feb. 1844

Should other people need to broaden their search, I wanted everyone to know that this name is found elsewhere ....

Hello and welcome to RootsChat. 

We can hear what other folk think once they've clicked on the link below to the NLI register, but to me Mary's surname is more recognisable as 'Hoey' (left page, 5th entry down):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633949#page/9/mode/1up

It also makes more sense given wider context, for example, Griffiths Valuation shows several Hoeys in the civil parish of Drumcliff, local print date 1858:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 July 16 07:38 BST (UK) »
I read the name as Hoey also  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 July 16 08:51 BST (UK) »

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i03/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i04/

Interestingly, for the only 'Holey' entry in Sligo in the above links (Thos Holey of Carrowdarny), I'm seeing something different again in the original, ie. a Thos Foley - and again, there is a potentially corroborating (albeit later) entry in Griffith's Valuation for a Thomas Foley of Carrownadargny in the CP of Shancough.

Edited to add: Only had time to check a couple more of the 'Holey' records in the applotment book links above (the ones not in the far south - counties Leitrim and Mayo) and they look like 'Foley' as well, there may be a mistranscription pattern emerging. 

Offline Andalula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 July 16 09:50 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks everybody! Everyone is absolutely right about Griffith's. I could not find a single Holy in the area, so my post here is sorely misplaced. But I am very glad for everyone's responses and I will check in soon again.

I will look into Hoey and Holey, and wait for others to weigh in.

And thanks especially for showing me new resources I had not found yet!

Offline TOCUMWAL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
I wrote to you a couple of years ago. My greatgreat grand father is Jeremiah Holy (HOLEY) I know he lived in the town of Smythesdale, Victoria. I know he own a hotel in geelong and lost it. so I was wondering where you are up to 
JEREMIAH HOLY,
SWINNERTON, AH TUE, STROGLER, BOCK, ACCOLA, CLARE, CASTLE, OWEN,SCHAECHE,ROBINSON,JONES,SMITH,CLARKE,BARRY,SHAW,WAY,
SCHMIDT, HOLLINGWORTH,MATER,BALCOMB,ASHWELL