Author Topic: Edward Alexander Bury 1850-1896  (Read 2933 times)

Offline ChuckYanikoski

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Alexander Bury 1850-1896
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 September 12 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, Kattie --

In case you are not aware of it yet, Rev. Bury's daughter Elisabeth, as a child, corresponded with Lewis Carroll (of Alice in Wonderland fame).  Apparently, his sister, Rosamond Bury Warner, took Elisabeth and probably one Elisabeth's sisters, to meet Carroll (presumably in Oxford) on December 2, 1892.  On February 15, 1896, Carroll visited the Warners and saw Elisabeth again.  On the following March 8, he wrote a letter to Elisabeth, which is reprinted in volume 2 of The Letters of Lewis Carroll, edited by Morton Cohen.  The editors' footnote explains all of this, and more.  None of it is directly responsive to you inquiries about Edward's whereabouts, but some of the pictures maybe were been taken in Oxford.  I don't know how long the Warners lived there, but I gather that Rosamond died in Oxford in 1920.  I should mention that I have never been on this chat board before, and maybe never will be again.  So if you want to get back in touch about this, it's best to email me directly: *

* Moderator Comment
Email address removed in line with Rootschat policy to avoid spamming etc.
Please use the Rootschat Personal Messaging system to exchange personal information.
Those new to Rootschat must post three times to send and receive pms.

Further information on personal messaging

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 September 12 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat

According to Kattie's profile she has not online sice July 2011. Hopefully the poster will see your post and respond. Rootschat has a personal messaging system. A pm will send a notification directly to Kattie's email address and alert them there has been a post. You will need to post three times on Rootschat to use the pm system. Responding to this post will mean you will have posted twice.

Regards

Valda
Co-moderator London and Middlesex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ken Lord

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 February 16 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Edward Alexander Bury was the first vicar of St. Marks Church New Ferry from 1886 to 1896. In May of this year the church will be celebrating it's 150th. anniversary. We would love to contact any descendants of Edward in order to invite them to any of our celebrations if they live within travel distance.
Please reply with any info you may have.