Author Topic: More McDougalls  (Read 8170 times)

Offline Guymac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
More McDougalls
« on: Thursday 26 May 11 08:14 BST (UK) »
I'm here in Australia and I know there was a John McDougall (b. 1822) in Rothesay, Bute. His son was a John as well, (b. c.1850) and immigrated to Australia.

The first John (1822) married Marian McPherson in 1848 in Rothesay. Marian was a daughter of John McPherson and Mary McFie.

I cannot find anything on John's ancestry before 1822! Who can help me!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: More McDougalls
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 11 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I see this is your first post, although you joined some years ago so Welcome to Rootschat!

On the 1851 Census there is a couple that seem to fit. John and Marion are living at 4 King Street, Rothsay

John McDougal, 30, butcher
Marion, 29
Margaret, 5
Mary, 2
John, 4 months

All b. Rothesay

I think that this maybe John in 1841:

King Street, Rothesay

Isabella Mcdougal, 60
John, 20, flesher J(ourneyman)
Isabella, 15
All b. Bute

A flesher was a butcher

Unfortunately, the 1841 doesn't give relationships so we can only assume that Isabella was his mother. Further, ages of those of 15 and over were usually rounded down into 5 year age bands - thus Isabella could be 60-64, John 20-24 and Isabella 15-20.

I'll see if I can find anything on the two Isabella's that might give more information.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 11 09:20 BST (UK) »
I've managed to find a possible marriage for sister Isabella:

20 Oct 1845, Rothesay
John McDougall, Cattle Dealer, Rothesay, son of Daniel MacDougall, Cattle Dealer here and Isabella McDougal, daughter of the late John Mcdougal, Tailor, Rothesay

On the 1851, this couple are living  in Rothesay

John Mcdougal, 25, Horse Dealer, b. Kingarth, Bute
Issabella, 25, b. Rothesay
Daniel, 5, b. -do-
Issabella, 1, b. -do-
Christina Carmichael, 17, house servant, b. Greenock

It looks as if the couple used  the traditional naming pattern for their children - Daniel for John's father and Is(s)abella for Isabella's mother.

So - it looks quite likely that John's parents were a John Mcdougal(l), tailor and an Isabella.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 May 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
I've managed to trace the family to Camlachie, Glasgow in 1881 and find that Isabella died there on  27 Nov 1883.  Her parents are given as John McDougall, tailor, deceased and Isabella, maiden surname McPhee.

These, I would think were also your John's parents.

Do you have a death record for him in Australia? This might give his parents names as confirmation.

There's no sign of any baptisms of marriagages for the family. It could be that they were not Church of Scotland or that the records are missing for other reasons.

gnu

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 May 11 09:44 BST (UK) »
A bit more ~

I've found a possible baptism for John's mother, given that she would have been born 1876-1881 (using the 1841 census info) -

Rothesay 27 Feb 1776  Isobel MacFee. Parents - James MacFee and Isobel MacCurry

gnu

Offline Guymac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 05:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that!
I'll go see how that all comes together. I'll let you know.

I was in Rothesay (all the way from Australia) last year for 5 days to do some homework, but nothing came around. I did manage to find some McDougalls who gave me their tree, but nothing came together.

Lets see how I go with your information, thanks.