Author Topic: Stelling Gate Inn Lyminge Kent  (Read 4844 times)

Offline Nanny with Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Rosie
    • View Profile
Re: Stelling Gate Inn Lyminge Kent
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 May 11 18:51 BST (UK) »
Casalguidi - thank you for those links - you are a mine of information.

I will no doubt be requiring your expertise when I start on another branch.

Once again thank you
NANNY WITH ROSIE
Baker, Cousens/Couzins, Delo, Goldsack, Hayes, Matson, Munday, Shether/Sheather, in Kent
Askew/Henocq/Wigglesworth in London/Middx/Norfolk and Yorkshire
Lonsdales in Lancashire
Saunders in Lancashire/South Wales and Somerset

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 May 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Nanny with Rosie
Can I ask about the Mary Ann Swain mentioned in your posts and how it ties in with this family. Swains from this part of Kent tie in with my family tree and I was hoping I might be able to help you with some information.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline Nanny with Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Rosie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 May 11 21:45 BST (UK) »
 Hello - thank you for your response.  I am working from my laptop so cannot access the tree at the moment, but I think Mary Ann Swain m. George Cousens (and the spellings can very quite a lot) in the Lyminge records. 

George is listed as the landlord of the Gate Inn Rhodes Minnis (I believe this is the correct address) before Sarah Causins in the 1881c (I think this should read Mary Ann Cousens as I have found her later on at Elham Workhouse mentioned as a innkeeper/inmate) dates tally.

A previous landlord of the pub was Nicholas Swain also of Mockbegger which I see is pretty much next door to the pub.  Is that part of your family?

I am trying to see if this Cousens branch goes back to Cousens in the St Margaret's-at-cliffe and thereabouts.

NANNY WITH ROSIE
Baker, Cousens/Couzins, Delo, Goldsack, Hayes, Matson, Munday, Shether/Sheather, in Kent
Lonsdales in Lancashire

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 07:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the names and dates, I'm back to work this morning >:( but will have a look tonight to see if I can tie them into my tree. There is a large Swain tree held at Canterbury archives that may be of help to you, if you ever get over that way. Mine are just one branch of what I has been researched so far.
Regards panda
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline Nanny with Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Rosie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 09:18 BST (UK) »
Morning panda

Just looked on my tree and have Mary Ann Swain being born c.1806 Lyminge (but that could include Rhodes & Stelling Minnis) and being married to George on 11 October 1831 at St Mary & St Ethelburga Lyminge.

In the 1891 census she is a widow living with her son George at Eastling Down Farm Waldershare and in the 1901 census she is a public house keeper/inmate of Elham workhouse.

I must admit it seems more shocking that in just over 100 years someone in the family, who had been in business, should end up in the workhouse. 

NANNY WITH ROSIE
Lonsdales in Lancashire

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Nanny with Rosie
I've had a look at my tree and can't see any direct connection straight away. all my lot appear to be from Elham/Alkham valley way. When I am next over at the archives I will have a look and see if  I can find out any more information for you.
Regards panda
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 19:14 BST (UK) »
I've had a look on Kent online parish clerks and in the parish of Lyminge It gives George and Mary Ann having twin daughters Charlotte and Eliza 6 June 1832. They are given as living at Rhodes Minnis and he is an ag lab. No other children are listed as being baptised with parents of that name. The spelling is given as Cousens.  I could see no entry for marriages for these two or deaths listed on the web site.
Hope this helps
Regards panda
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline Nanny with Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Rosie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
Evening panda

Thank you for looking up that info for me - I have the two children baptised in 1832 but for some reason I have Eliza b. 1831 Guston and Charlotte b.1832 Lyminge.  I presume Eliza was on the way when they got married.

There were ten children (well that is how many I have found and the dates were quite regular - about every two years).  I found the marriage I think it was the website www.Hastingleigh.co.uk and then Lyminge!!

Any time you come across Cousens (or any other similar spelling) I would appreciate hearing from you.  Likewise I will let you know when I see a 'Swain'.

Nanny with Rosie

Lonsdales in Lancashire

Offline seaborn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 April 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am writing from Australia and have noticed the long thread that includes George Couzens (or one of many spellings), his wife Mary Ann and their family.  I am directly related to this couple, they are my gt gt gt grandparents.  My Gt Gt grandmother was Harriet Elizabeth Couzens, who married twice and ended up living her long life in Essex with a Gamekeeper.  I believe that she most likely lived for some of her early time in the Gate Inn at Stelling Minnis.  Am not sure where she married her second husband.  I believe some of you have the same thread?  Also Mary Ann was the daughter of Nicholas Swain, who was licensee of the Gate Inn and I am trying to work out how the transfer of this license happened?  Was it the sort of thing that was handed down through the family?  I won't write more at the moment, but got excited when I saw this thread and this forum