Author Topic: Burials: William and James Grant of Grantown  (Read 2910 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burials: William and James Grant of Grantown
« on: Thursday 26 May 11 19:56 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be able to help me find the burial sites of my ggg grandfather William Grant who died in Grantown on 15th July 1875 and his son James, my gg grandfather, who died in Grantown on 18th February 1900.

Jenny

Offline Karyn Dziura

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burials: William and James Grant of Grantown
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 July 19 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny. My Great Great Grandmother was Isabella Grant (nee: masson) (1860 - 1908). She was married to James Grant up until his death in 1900. They had 4 children between them being John, Eric, Grace and Isabella. My Great Grandfather Alexander Grant was born to Isabella 18 months after James death. Alexander was born in July 1901. From what I have been told, the biological father of Alexander is one of James Grants brothers. So there is a good chance we maybe related. I am hoping to be able to fill the gaps and find family.  :)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 July 19 17:52 BST (UK) »
I am afraid Alexander cannot be the son of one of James Grant's brothers.  James 1812-1900 had three brothers, two of whom emigrated to Australia in the 1860s, William 1824-1904 (died in Ashfield NSW) and John Charles 1828-1911 (died in Deniliquin NSW).  The third brother Robert was born in 1830 but he has disappeared from all the records from the 1841 census onwards.  Most of his older siblings are at the family home on that census so I am assuming that he died.  It may be that Alexander's father was a brother in law or a relative but I don't think we will ever know.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 July 19 17:58 BST (UK) »
There is a vickigardiner167 with a tree on Ancestry with whom I had communications about 10 years ago.  She is the great granddaughter of Isabella Masson and is an Australian.  She knew Alexander.  If you can contact her she may well have lots of information for you.

Offline Karyn Dziura

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 July 19 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny, Thank you for that information. It certainly helps with the puzzle. Yes I know Vicki. I will try and get back in touch with her about this. Good luck in your search.
Regards, Karyn.

Offline Anita Grant Steele

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,
When in Grantown in 2014, I managed to go through the old cemetery and took pictures of every Grant & Cameron marker I could find. I don't think I missed any.  I sent the Grantown museum a CD with all the pictures.  They may be able to help?
Anita
Grants of Inverlochie near Tomintoul. William Grant of Trois-Rivieres & Marguerite Fafard dit Laframboise. Cuthbert Grant of Trois-Rivieres.
Grants of Glenlochy & Kilgraston.
Camerons of Temiscaming.
Dobie, Grant, Gerrard, Findlay, Jordan.
Langie/Levreault de Langie

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 August 19 19:10 BST (UK) »
That was very good of you.  None of my 19thC Grants have stones as they very unhelpfully belonged to a religious sect that didn't believe in them.  They are all in unmarked graves! 

Offline Anita Grant Steele

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 August 19 04:16 BST (UK) »
Definitely unhelpful! Do you mind me asking which religion that was?  Burial records were allowed though? Where were they buried?
Grants of Inverlochie near Tomintoul. William Grant of Trois-Rivieres & Marguerite Fafard dit Laframboise. Cuthbert Grant of Trois-Rivieres.
Grants of Glenlochy & Kilgraston.
Camerons of Temiscaming.
Dobie, Grant, Gerrard, Findlay, Jordan.
Langie/Levreault de Langie

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 August 19 18:25 BST (UK) »
They were Christadelphians and a number of them are in Inverallen Graveyard.  I guess I'll have to check the burial records next time I am up there to see which bit of bare earth is them!