Author Topic: Home Guard Battalions  (Read 8194 times)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
Re: Home Guard Battalions
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 13:23 GMT (UK) »
RAF Lutterworth   played a very important role in the development of the Jet engine.

Someone suggested that the "prefabs" around Hillsborough Road/Swinford Avenue/Henray Avenue were all build for Power Jets workers... I still don't have any concrete evidence of this.

BTW... Did you know that as a young girl, Sue Townsend (the author), lived in one of these?

John.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)

Offline ChrisEM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 November 16 12:39 GMT (UK) »
John,

I recently had a glance at a copy of "To The Last Round". Amongst other things it tells us that LEI 8 was the 8th (Market Bosworth) Battalion. That Battalion had six Companies of which "D" had platoons in Barwell, East Shilton, Thurlaston and Desford/Newbold Verdon and a fifth described as "Aerodrome Platoon" based at "Desford Aerodrome and Factory".

Elsewhere in the book is an image of the Enderby platoon and I think that that village has been mentioned in this thread.

It looks to me as though a thorough examination of this book might be useful to you. There is a lot of (unindexed) information within it which, with your knowledge of the area, might give you further clues in solving your mystery. It is readily available on Amazon UK, both new and second-hand, and I should imagine that some of the possible suppliers will ship to France.

Chris
The Home Guard of Great Britain - the story of units and individuals 1940-1944 - http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 November 16 12:54 GMT (UK) »
John,

I recently had a glance at a copy of "To The Last Round". Amongst other things it tells us that LEI 8 was the 8th (Market Bosworth) Battalion. That Battalion had six Companies of which "D" had platoons in Barwell, East Shilton, Thurlaston and Desford/Newbold Verdon and a fifth described as "Aerodrome Platoon" based at "Desford Aerodrome and Factory".

Elsewhere in the book is an image of the Enderby platoon and I think that that village has been mentioned in this thread.

It looks to me as though a thorough examination of this book might be useful to you. There is a lot of (unindexed) information within it which, with your knowledge of the area, might give you further clues in solving your mystery. It is readily available on Amazon UK, both new and second-hand, and I should imagine that some of the possible suppliers will ship to France.

Chris

Many thanks for that Chris. Much appreciated and that seems to fit in with the area my Grandad would have been in. I also know the area well as I lived in Hinckley as a child and later on went to Bosworth College in Desford.

I now know what to ask Santa for this Christmas ;-)

Cheers,

John.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)

Offline Welford1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 October 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,my great grandad was in the home guard and I'm trying to find out some information,like where he would have been based or what he did,his name is John Robert Alcock and he lived in Bow E.3 London,any help would be great.

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 October 17 12:50 BST (UK) »
To apply for a copy of his record:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-home-guard-service-records

My dad sent for his some years ago;  not much detail but it brought back happy memories for him.  :)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk