Author Topic: William Regan at age of 15 in 1890, had his own stamp and coin shop in Bayswater  (Read 9114 times)

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Assuming that this is 'your' Florence:-

Births Sep 1881 

Regan  Florence Mary    Marylebone  1a 623   

then this marriage has a lot of the right ingredients:-

Marriages Sep 1902 

Ball  Tom    Eastbourne  2b 137   
Denis  Adrien     Eastbourne  2b 137   
Hawkins  Florence     Eastbourne  2b 137   
Regan  Florence Mary    Eastbourne  2b 137   

9 years later they are in Lewisham, but no sign of any kids.

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Regan at age of 15 in 1890, had his own stamp and coin shop in Bayswater
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 May 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
Dorothy Florence was married to an Adrian ? Who was a French Printer

1901 census of Bloomsbury St George and St Giles in The Fields - RG13/Piece: 237 Folio: 80 Page: 28 @ 110, High Holborn

Ernest Denis 56 Head of Household born BRUSSELLS : a Tailor
Maria Denis 48 Wife ditto: Tailoress
Adrian Denis 23 son St Pancras: ?Music? Engraver (annotated 'Sculp')
Paul Denis 21 son  ditto: Hair? Maker
Victoria Denis 16 dau Lambeth: Asst Millener
Pacter Denis 13 son born Bloomsbury: attending school
Alice Denis 11 dau ditto
Ernest Denis 5 son ditto

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Regan at age of 15 in 1890, had his own stamp and coin shop in Bayswater
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 May 11 16:33 BST (UK) »
There are several trees on Ancestry that have Lilian Maud married to a Percy Leonard Utting Fitt.
Whilst always taking trees with a bit of caution, this would seem to fit .

Marriage 27 Aug 1910, St Mary,Lewisham

Percy Leonard Utting Fitt B 30 Grocer   Father John Utting Fitt, shoemaker
Florence Maud Regan      S 23               Father  George Regan, Philatelist
Address 16, Mount Pleasant Road
Witnesses
Adrien Denis,    ? Regan and Fanny ?

Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Schooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 May 11 16:36 BST (UK) »
The photo's.

Violet Regan
ACKLAND / JONES – Berrynarbor/Nevada/Nebraska/East Indian Company.
BENNETT – Abbotsham/Appledore/Bideford/Ilfracombe/Northam/Cardiff/Swansea/Newport/Newton Abbot/Penarth/Plymouth/Weymouth.
BOON – Appledore/Combe-Martin.
BOYEN – Ashburton/Charles/Stoke Rivers/Ilfracombe/Grimsby.
KIVELL – North Devon.
MOGRIDGE – Bratton Fleming/Charles/South Molton/Ilfracombe.
MUXWORTHY – Great & Little Torrington/West Buckland/Fremington/Appledore/Bideford.
POLLARD – Cawsand/Porlock/Ilfracombe.
SEARL - Bridgwater

Offline Schooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 May 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again

WOW!!!. I have returned from collecting our grandson for the weekend and found all this fantastic information that you have all sent. Thank you so much to you all for spending your time on this for me and getting back so fast with the information.

Goodness knows how many pages on Jersey marriages I went through last night, to try and find a connection between George and Mary. Hence it was a dead end.
From my other topic that I posted today, I now know what the Scagliolist trade was. A very interesting site. http://www.scagliolaco.com/contact.php

The other thing that I have discovered over the last few months, is that it appears that some Census sites for checking B, D and Marriages appear show on one and not on another. A bit frustrating at times. Or is it me?

Could you please clear up the following points that gratefully you have passed on to me:

1. Mort 29 - In 1901 you have found them in Eastbourne at the same address as where they are in 1881.  You say that in 1901, George is recorded as a 'British & Foreign Stamp Dealer' . Could you please confirm that this George and not William. I ask this as because George in the 1881 census is living at 34a Edward Street, St  Marylebone with Mary and William and Georges occupation is recorded as a Scagliolist . If this is correct then this would make sense  with William having the shop and may be George doing the travelling to do the buying and valuations etc. 
But why give up his trade as a Scagliolist? .A mystery that no doubt will remain a mystery. You also found the missing  Lily. This is putting the family jigsaw together nicely. Thank you.

2. Cathy - Another big thank you. You have found his other sister Florence and I would suspect that her second Christian name was Dorothy. Did you by any chance note her year of birth and where. As with the information on Lily I would be able to have the fun of looking for their marriages. I would love a copy of the transcription that you have.

3. Jacques - Thank you for checking this up for me. Can you confirm that Selina Mary B Prout was indeed born in St Heliers, Jersey.

4. Hi Jenifer - Thank you. I have no clue who Agnes Elizabeth Regan is. I know that from my mother, that William only had two sisters. Perhaps she may have died an infant. Something else for me to look at. Nice one just noticed death details from you. Many thanks.

A little history:
I have included two photographs, one of the shop and one of Violet Eleanor Regan nee Frankcom. She was my g Grandmother and wife of William- They married in 1903. William died in 1953 and violet in 1963. Both at Combe Martin in Devon. Having left London in 1939. They brought my mother up during the war, after her having been evacuated from Newcastle.  She remained with them after the war until in 1953 she married my father at Ilfracombe.

Once again a Big, Big thank you for all your help.

My very best regards to you all.  ;D
Schooner
BENNETT – Abbotsham/Appledore/Bideford/Ilfracombe/Northam/Cardiff/Swansea/Newport/Newton Abbot/Penarth/Plymouth/Weymouth.
KIVELL – North Devon.
MUXWORTHY – Great & Little Torrington/West Buckland/Fremington/Appledore/Bideford.
SEARL - Bridgwater

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 May 11 17:29 BST (UK) »
1. Mort 29 - In 1901 you have found them in Eastbourne at the same address as where they are in 1881.  You say that in 1901, George is recorded as a 'British & Foreign Stamp Dealer' . Could you please confirm that this George and not William. I ask this as because George in the 1881 census is living at 34a Edward Street, St  Marylebone with Mary and William and Georges occupation is recorded as a Scagliolist . If this is correct then this would make sense  with William having the shop and may be George doing the travelling to do the buying and valuations etc.
But why give up his trade as a Scagliolist? .A mystery that no doubt will remain a mystery. You also found the missing  Lily. This is putting the family jigsaw together nicely. Thank you.

They were in Eastbourne in 1901 - in 1881 they were in St Marylebone, so I dont understand your comment about 'same address'.

Yes, its only George (with wife Mary & dau Lily) in the 1901 and the occupation is as stated above.

I think if you look at the 1891 that Cath found (Rg12/1045  12/20) George is that same original occupation again, whilst young William is a Telegraph Messenger for the GPO - so I'd say its Dad who ran the shop where they eventually lived in Queens Road.

If you look at later posts you will see that Florence was registered as Florence MARY, at birth and Eastbourne marriage to Adrien Denis.

Good luck with the hunt for the CI origins!  :)

Offline Schooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 May 11 17:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Mort 29.
The picture of the shop will not send as to big to receive. I will ask my son tomorrow to try and sort this for me. It suddenly clicked with me that when Williams father died that he changed the shops sign to show his own name. Common sence.

Thanks for all your help today.
Regards
Paul (Schooner)
KIVELL – North Devon.
SEARL - Bridgwater

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 May 11 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Here is the 1891

5, Clarence Road, Willesdon

George Regan  head mar 39 Seagliolist Artist in Colour  Surrey,Lambeth
Mary      "         wife   mar 37                                            St Helier, Jersey
Wiliam   "         son           16 Telegraph Messenger GPO Surrey,Rotherhithe
Florence  "        dau           9                                             Mx. Marylebone
Lilian       "         dau          3                                              "          "

By the way no 51, Queens Street, Paddington seems to have been unocccupied in 1891
RG12/16  113/4

Cathy :)                                          
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Schooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 May 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cathy you are a star.
BRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIAAAAANNNNNTTTTT

Regards
Paul (Schooner)
KIVELL – North Devon.
SEARL - Bridgwater