Author Topic: Mackenzies of Lots of Scoraig  (Read 13806 times)

Offline CISSIE88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mackenzies of Lots of Scoraig
« on: Saturday 28 May 11 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My g-grandfather John Mackenzie was born at 14 Lots of Scoraig around 1850. I can't find any record of his birth in the parish records at all and yet all his siblings were registered. I have looked at the Scoraig transcriptions from Ullapool museum,family search, and Scotlands people. Can anyone suggest anywhere else I may try or why he wouldn't have a record other than his parents forgetting!!!

Does anyone have Mackenzie relations from Lots who may be related- there seems to be hundreds of them in the 1800's with the same forenames and I would be grateful for any help unravelling them.

My ancestors John Mackenzie's parents were William Mackenzie from Scoraig (parents possibly David Mackenzie and  Mary Mcgegor) and Annabella Mackenzie nee Mackenzie (parents John and Annabella Mackenzie from Achindrean).  John married his 2nd cousin Margaret Mackenzie from Rhirevach  in 1879 in Inverness and settled there.
    Any help would be gratefully received.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mackenzies of Lots of Scoraig
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 11 16:45 BST (UK) »
Have you tried a graveyard search?

http://www.rosscromartyroots.co.uk/
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline CISSIE88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 11 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, thank you I had.

Think I am going to have to go up and visit the area myself. I can't believe there are so many Mackenzies- maybe I'm related to them all!!!

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
Scotland originally had the clan system of extended families (a bit like tribes) and that persisted up to the 1800's in the more remote areas.  So you will find certain areas with higher instances of certain names.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Mavey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 July 11 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi my family are mckenzies of rireveach. If you look on the website for scoraig run by steve Webster you will find our family story in there and how we ended up in Inverness. Have you tried searching under the alternative spelling Mckenzie as certainly we believe that was our surname and I'm sure the Margaret you mention moved with Kenneth and son Donald to petty near Inverness - all of this is on our family letter on steves website. The best place to look for records is the census. Also check out Gaelic versions of the name you are looking for mis spelt in English. Hope this helps

Offline Mavey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 July 11 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi here is the site that has our family letter. Interestingly my mother recently told me it was mc but in thus letter written by my gran it's mac. Anyway enjoy the little insight http://www.scoraig.com/People.html

Offline CISSIE88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 July 11 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Mavey,

Thank you for your message. Yes I had seen Steve Webster's site. I have been trying very hard to find a connection between your family and mine but have failed.

Do you know the parents of Kenneth Mckenzie mentioned in the story ? If they were Abigail and John it would be marvelous. I'm sure we are connected somewhere as the photo of your Abigail looks awfully like us lot.
As far as the Mack... or Mc..... thing is concerned, we are Mackenzies and have been since the late 1800s so it has been drummed into me to write it that way but I always check both.

If you think there may be a connection and want to discuss it any further I can sens you a personal message with more details. Some relations did live in Portmahomach but I'm not sure of the Petty connection.

Regards

Offline Mavey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 08:05 BST (UK) »
No these weren't his parents. However very interesting. My mckenzies married into a family of blacksmiths from near rockfield close to Portmahomack. I have long thought there must be some connection. Very intriguing as I would expect the couple perhaps met when they visited relatives ?? My uncle and aunt are going to scoraig in august so if you want anything checked out in the cemetery let us know. Have you Bern up there ?? No surprise my great grandmother looks like you guys they had a limited pool of genes cut off on the peninsula

Offline Mavey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 08:09 BST (UK) »
My family always believed the name abigail was after the lady in the big house. However when I started my research I discovered it goes right back to the start of the records.