Author Topic: Mounsey Family  (Read 6757 times)

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mounsey Family
« on: Saturday 28 May 11 14:57 BST (UK) »
Trying to trace if any connection between William Mounseyand Janet Paterson c1719 and Alexander Mounsey and Jane Mounsey nee Rogerson c1730? Their daughter Joan Mounsey married to Joseph Hamilton and died 1856. Also any connection with Dr Mounsey of Rammerscales and Dr John Rogerson both in service to 18thc Czars

Offline bouzoukisis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mounsey Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 May 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
Where is the family from.....I know Mounceys in Ontario, Canada....???

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
sorry - family local to Dumfriesshire, Scotland

Offline jnicoll1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 June 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
My gg grandmother, Janet Mounsey born 1804 was the niece of Joan mounsey.  You mention a William mounsey marrying a Janet Patterson but it was a Thomas Mounsey who married Janet Patterson probably in the 1680's.  William Mounsey was actually Thomas and Janet's son.  Thomas married for the second time to mary Steel and Dr James Mounsey was their son.   Doctor Rogerson and James were cousins. Alexander Mounsey was the grandson of Thomas and Janet.  Janet Paterson was the sister of Sir William Paterson connected to the Bank of England

Regarding the Ontario connection, my Janet Mounsey lived in Sutton Ontario Canada, two brothers Alexander and Thomas lived in Vaughan township and sister Elizabeth Mounsey married to John johnstone Rogerson lived in Guelph area.

John

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 June 11 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks John you have filled in the gap I was trying to identify. Janet Mounsey was my ggggrandmother on my mothers side . I had obtained a copy of her birth certificate and details of her marriage and burial but could not tie this in with the earlier generations. Thanks again!!!

Offline jnicoll1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 June 11 23:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your note.  I want to confirm that the janet Mounsey who you refer to as ggg grandmother is the same janet Mounsey who was my gg grandmother born 1804 in tinwald Dumfriesshire.  She married Edward Lorimer or Latimer or sometimes referred to Edward Lotimer.  The couple resided in Sutton Ontario Canada.  This Janet Latimer's parents were James Mounsey and jean White.  There was another Janet Mounsey born in 1764  whose parents were Alexander Mounsey and Jane or Jean Rogerson.   That Janet Mounsey married Samuel Rogerson in 1787.  There was a lot of Rogerson and Mounsey inter marriages.  Which Janet Mounsey is your direct ancestor?

It looks very much that we are cousins. How do you connect with Janet Mounsey?  My great grandmother Janet Latimer daughter of Edward Latimer and Janet Mounsey born in 1836 married Robert Nicol in Sutton inabt 1858.  My grandfather John Nicol was born in 1873 and died in 1962 in Toronto.

I hope that I hear from you

Offline bouzoukisis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 June 11 23:43 BST (UK) »
Where is the family from.....I know Mounceys in Ontario, Canada....???
Let me check and get back to you....I think its in the Richmond Hill area...but, I'll double check.....OK.....

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 07:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry I have got this wrong. My ggggrandfather was Joseph Hamilton (1770-1839). He  married  Joan Mounsey (1767-1856)  in 1792. Her parent were Alexander Mounsey and Jane Mounsey ( Rogerson) . Can confirm this information is correct as I have checked with Death Certificate- Joan Mounsey and Memorial Inscription at Wamphray churchyard where Joan Hamilton ( Mounsey ) is buried

Offline WHISKEY-JACK

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 March 17 01:40 GMT (UK) »
New to this . Just registered and saw some requests re the Mounsey family from Dumfriesshire. I have  an old copy of a family tree in my possession and thought perhaps it might be help full in filling in some blanks in others family tree.