Author Topic: Where would he have worked .  (Read 1789 times)

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Granny Emma
    • View Profile
Where would he have worked .
« on: Saturday 28 May 11 19:16 BST (UK) »
3 x greatgrand father says he is a Gardener on the 1841-1851 census living in Llanbeblig and his daughter states he is a gardener on wedding cert in 1856 , so what type of garden's would he have worked in were there large estate gardens in and around Caernavon at those dates .

Kind Regards Mrs Griff
Glamorgan, Merioneth,Caernavon
Roberts,  Williams.
Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where would he have worked .
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 May 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Mrs. Griff

Possibly Vaenol or Glynllyfon?    A gardener on a large estate may well have lived in a tied cottage on the estate.  Have you looked at the enumerators route for the 1841/1851 censuses to see if there are any clues there?   

Heather   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 11 01:03 BST (UK) »
As Heather says, if he was a Gardener for either the Vaynol or Glynllifon estates he would most probably have lived in on the estate.

There were plenty of large houses in the town which would have provided work for him: on the approach into town from Bangor there is Griffiths' Crossing with many very large houses, and nearer to town there is North Road; exiting the town towards Pwllheli there are many more large premises on South Road and on to the Pwllheli Road; overlooking the town is the Twthill area and not far away is Cwellyn (Quellyn) a very large mansion house; on the Bethel Road are more houses, including Maesincla.

Take a look at the maps on Old Maps (http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html), it will give you a better idea of the layout of the town.

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Granny Emma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you both , my ancestor was John Smith in 1841 he lived in no1 Henwalia 1851 no9 Henwalia and he died in 1858 from Henwalia ,found his death on Carnavon Traders , I think Henwalia was close to the places Keith mentioned also on the 1861 census there were 2 other Gardener's living in Henwalia Joseph Morris and a Owen Roberts , and the next address after Henwalia was The Vicarage possible work place ? as my rellie died 3 years before could they have been working together ,

I have mentioned the other names because they be on someone else is tree and he have some more info .

Kind Regards Mrs Griff
Glamorgan, Merioneth,Caernavon
Roberts,  Williams.
Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HDeFer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 September 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there, while doing research I saw your post pop up...a brother of my 4X Great Grandfather lived on Henwalia during the 1841 census as well, his name was Robert Evans.  He lived there with wife Ann, son Emanuel, and daughter Ann.  Am not sure what number they lived at...will come back and post if I figure it out!

Heather DeFer