Author Topic: 93 Sydney Street Chelsea/Kensington 1930  (Read 9675 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 93 Sydney Street Chelsea/Kensington 1930
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 July 11 23:51 BST (UK) »
It's not renumbering - the block is between the same roads in each directory: Cale Street and Britten Street.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chocmonster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 22:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome Heather, been lurking around for a while but just had to post when I saw your thread!

Interesting information Shaun thanks for adding it.  :)

Offline booboomac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 October 11 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just by chance I googled Rassell and football and came up with this page of yours. So had to register with Roots to get to reply!

My mother in law was a Dunkley and her aunt was Rose Rassell and the footballer we believe was one of her Children.
We have photos somewhere.
Believed he played for Dulwich hamlet and he was not a professional, but not sure on that as this part of the family we haven't researched much.
We do have extensive Dunkley research however, which might be of interest..

Hope that is of interest to you

cheers

booboomac or just reply to Christine

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 October 11 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine!  Welcome to Rootschat, it's a great place and full of very helpful knowledgeable people  :)

Yes your reply is very interesting and it would be fascinating to see some photos  ;D

Since I wrote this thread, and through a link another Chatter posted on this forum, I found a newspaper report giving more information.  I have details on another computer that I'll look up tomorrow  :)

Briefly though I can tell you the man was named Ernest William Rassell and his mother was nee Rose Dunkley.   I found that at the time of his death he was playing for Kingstonian F.C. and it appears his brother did too.

I shall mention Dulwich hamlet to my Dad and see if that rings any bells with him, although the family story was that the football club was either Chelsea or Fulham!

Look forward to hearing from you again, once you have made three posts we will be able to correspond via the personal message system and swop email addresses without putting details on the net.

Best wishes, Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline booboomac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 October 11 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Heather, hi.

George Ernest and Evelyn Rassell were my mother's cousins and I knew Evelyn well.
Rose, their mother was my mother's aunt and my mothers sister lived with the Rassells when she was younger.
My grandfather, Rose's brother, read about Ernest's death in the News of the World. So the family were aware of it. Yes it was Kingstonians, and it was possibly another relative who played for Dulwich. When younger, football was a big thing in my family.
I have no recollection of my aunt saying that Ernest played for Fulham or Chelsea. The family did live in Fulham as Matthew Dunkley, the eldest brother and his and Rose's mother  Emma lived with them together with my grandfather and they had a dairy business.

So, are your father and my father cousins?
Are you a Rassell or a Dunkley descendent?

Love to hear from you again,

Christine

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 October 11 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

My maiden name was Rassell, and I'll have to study the tree to see the connection (I'm at work at the moment).  I think that means we're connected by marriage?  I'm sure my Dad will be very interested to hear of another branch of the family, he's over 80 and memory is not quite what it was but he remembers lots from the old days.

If you make one more post on this thread then I can send you a link to my online tree  :)

Regards, Heather

p.s. I don't think Ernest did play for Fulham or Chelsea but that was the family story I was told.  It seems he was Captain of Kingstonian at the time of his death, I'm trying to find the newspaper report again to send you.
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline burston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 May 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Im trying to research 93 Robert Street, Chelsea which I believe may have been changed to Sydney Street. On a birth certificate for George William Chubb, born at 93 Robert Street it states his father Harry or Henry was a plumber. On 1891 census 93 is shown as a workshop but with no names attached. No 93 doesnt appear on any other census. I cannot seem to find this family on any census apart from GW Chubb on 1911.  When I googled Robert Street Chelsea, Thomas Crappers biolgraphy came up as being an apprentice for a plumber on Robert St and then starting his own business in Marlborough Works, Chelsea in 1861. So I thought maybe Harry/Henry Chubb may have been employed by him and therefore lived nearby.  If anyone has access to electoral rolls from 1884 to 1904 when he died and could find them I would be extremely grateful. He is Harry/Henry Chubb (birth date not known) and wife Elizabeth Jane Chubb (formerly Kingston) birth date not known. George William Chubb born 1884

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Im trying to research 93 Robert Street, Chelsea which I believe may have been changed to Sydney Street. On a birth certificate for George William Chubb, born at 93 Robert Street it states his father Harry or Henry was a plumber. On 1891 census 93 is shown as a workshop but with no names attached. No 93 doesnt appear on any other census. I cannot seem to find this family on any census apart from GW Chubb on 1911.  When I googled Robert Street Chelsea, Thomas Crappers biolgraphy came up as being an apprentice for a plumber on Robert St and then starting his own business in Marlborough Works, Chelsea in 1861. So I thought maybe Harry/Henry Chubb may have been employed by him and therefore lived nearby.  If anyone has access to electoral rolls from 1884 to 1904 when he died and could find them I would be extremely grateful. He is Harry/Henry Chubb (birth date not known) and wife Elizabeth Jane Chubb (formerly Kingston) birth date not known. George William Chubb born 1884
Hi,
Can't help regarding the electoral roles, quite possible because at that time men had to be "of a certain means" to have the vote, so he may not have been entitled.
But further to the couple themselves and their "birth date not known", should Elizabeth's maiden name be Hingston (I couldn't see a Chubb - Kingston marriage)?

If so, this would tie in with a marriage indexed as Henry Stephen Chubb to Elizabeth Jane Hingston in Plymouth Sept Qtr 1878.  This itself ties in with a 1881 census entry of the same couple living at the same address as William and Mary Hingston (in-laws?) in Summerland Place, Plymouth. Henry is shown as a plumber. Henry is shown as 25 (b.Devonport), Elizabeth 24 (b.Plymouth). This then leads to a few possible births for Henry, but my favourite would be the Dec Q.1855 in Stoke D(amerel) [an area of Devonport]. Whilst Elizabeth looks good for June Qtr 1857 in Plymouth. By 1891 he was widowed, still in Summerland Place, Elizabeth having died in Plymouth in Dec.Q.1890 (age 32).
But....this seems a bit weird though, with George being born in Chelsea.
Forgot to mention, if this is him, then in 1901 he is in Plymouth with second wife Annie (married 1894?) and by 1911 they have moved to Bigbury, nr Kingsbridge.
PPS - In 1891, there is a George of the correct age living with Henry Stephen's probable parents in Bigbury, down as grandson (although he is stated as being born in Plymouth). Of course, may not be relevent, but....

Offline burston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help.  The marriage certainly seems to fit as does other things that you have mentioned, except that the birth certificate states George Wm Chubb 1884 was definitely born in Chelsea. Also on his marriage cert in 1911 to Florence May Archer, his father Henry/Harry is stated as deceased.  Its so annoying that lots of things seem to fit but then theres seems to be something saying otherwise.  Im really grateful for the trouble you have taken finding this info and will certainly keep checking into it.