Author Topic: 93 Sydney Street Chelsea/Kensington 1930  (Read 9596 times)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
93 Sydney Street Chelsea/Kensington 1930
« on: Saturday 28 May 11 22:57 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to look up the above address on the 1930 electoral roll?  My father's cousin died 'on the way to 93 Sydney Street' after sustaining an injury playing football.  My father was only 2 years old at the time but he knew the story of this poor man's demise.  He vaguely remembers there being a family connection with Sydney Street but cannot recall any more than that.  The family name I'm looking for is Rassell or possibly Dunkley or Bunyan. 

Thanks for reading and any help you may be able to give.
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: 93 Sydney Street Chelsea/Kensington 1930
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 11 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

"On the way to 93 ........"

Isn't(wasn't) 93 (part of) the hospital?
Could it be that they were taking him to the hospital after the accident?

R

Added - Apologies, Royal Brompton Hospital
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 11 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

Yes that does seem a distinct possibility, having looked at Google streetview the nearest visible house numbers to the present day hospital are 63 and 117 so 93 would have been in the middle somewhere.  Many thanks for that suggestion.

I'd still be interested in viewing the electoral roll if it's available anywhere because of my father's recollection of there being a family connection.  He was living in Edith Grove at the time and that house had been in the family for a good few years (sadly it was sold about 50 years ago!). 

Thanks again, Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather

Researchers in and around London who are able to do research are few and far between.

The local studies for Kensington & Chelsea may have a copy

http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/leisureandlibraries/libraries/localstudiesandarchives.aspx

I suggest you send them an email asking for the look-up for that address in 1929 and 1930.

If they can't help, there's a copy at the London Metropolitan Archives but they charge £50 per hour for research. I should be back there in a couple of weeks time if you haven't been able to get the information you need by then.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply Dawn, luckily I only live about an hour from London so can visit from time to time. 

I'll send a mail as you suggest, I've been researching the Royal Brompton Hospital trying to see when the site spread as large as it is today.  In 1911 there are two households listed at 93 Sydney Street but that house may have been demolished and the land used by the hospital by the time my relative died 'on the way to 93 Sydney Street' in 1930.

I'd be very grateful if you get a chance to look at the LMA, I have visited there last year but doubt I'll be able to go again til later in the summer.

Thanks again, Heather

Offline Chocmonster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 11 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Heather,

I too have an interest in 93 Sydney Street as according to a Probate report my Great Great Grandfather died there in 1931.

Having done some digging I've found that the address might be something to do with St Luke's Workhouse & Infirmary.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Chelsea

That would make sense for your injured footballer and my elderly relative.

I have also found other probate reports stating that was the address of St Luke's Hospital.

Regards
Emma

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 July 11 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma and welcome to Rootschat!

Thanks for that information, that's very helpful.  Seems very likely my footballer was on the way to get medical attention when he died then. 

Good luck with your research, you're going to love this place  :)

Best wishes, Heather

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 July 11 08:48 BST (UK) »
In the 1921 PO Directory, number 93 is the home of builder Oswald Craske. Per the phone books he seems to have left that address circa 1926.  In the 1934 Directory, St Luke's Hospital is mentioned at number 87 and the next listing on Sydney Street is for number 117.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 July 11 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Shaun, very interesting.  I'll ask my Dad if the name Oswald Craske means anything to him - quite a memorable name I think!  Probably more likely he was being taken to the hospital than a builder's house so sometime between 1926 and 1930 St Luke's must have taken over the site.  Although of course I suppose it's possible the whole road could have been renumbered at some point.

Thanks again, Heather