Author Topic: Skippers Hill Manor School in the 1950's  (Read 4168 times)

Online corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Skippers Hill Manor School in the 1950's
« on: Sunday 29 May 11 13:24 BST (UK) »
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know if there are any archives to do with this school?  I'd be interested in old photos of the school as it was in the 1950's, and in particular lists of staff, or photos of staff?  My father, Warwick Curtis taught there for a year or so (on a working holiday from New Zealand) somewhere around 1953-1955.  I'm trying to both pin down dates, and see if there are any photos or other records of his time there.  Its Skippers Hill Manor Prep School, Five Ashes, Mayfield, East Sussex

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Skippers Hill Manor School in the 1950's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 11 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi corinne

The School is still there,found it on google.It gives a contact email addy.

Maybe they can help.If they are the same as other schools,the Schools  have Half Term Holiday this week.

Hope this helps & good luck

Kind Regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline a1emslie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 11 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Corinne,
Yes, as mentioned, the school is still there.   I'm sure that they would have an archive section if you contact them.If you need someone to pop in there, I could possibly do this before the summer or in the autumn.
Best wishes,
Annabel.
Jenkins-Hackney(Tottenham),Colchester,Suffolk.
Gamble,Webb,Hall-Norfolk.
Brokenshire,Burt,Mitchell,Chenoweth- Cornwall.
Percival-Northumberland.
Emslie-Aberdeen,Christie,Dempster-Cupar (Fife).
Tyler-Bristol,Adelaide.
Harris-Guernsey.

Online corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 11 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you.  I found the website and also their facebook page and have emailed them.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 11 15:45 BST (UK) »
Your welcome

Hope you have success

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline a1emslie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 May 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, happy hunting!
Annabel.
Jenkins-Hackney(Tottenham),Colchester,Suffolk.
Gamble,Webb,Hall-Norfolk.
Brokenshire,Burt,Mitchell,Chenoweth- Cornwall.
Percival-Northumberland.
Emslie-Aberdeen,Christie,Dempster-Cupar (Fife).
Tyler-Bristol,Adelaide.
Harris-Guernsey.

Offline Luciferin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Skippers Hill Manor School in the 1960s
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 July 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
Researching 'Skippers'
I'm currently researching the ownership of Skippers Hill Manor, near Five Ashes, East Sussex, from build date to 1945. This research forms part of a 'monograph' I am writing about 'Skippers', which includes a concise history of the ownership of the building prior to it becoming a boys school in 1945.

Monograph
Most of the monograph contains a personal and detailed account of boarding-school life between 1960 and 1963.

Floor plan
I have also managed to draw a detailed floor plan of the buildings (ground floor) from memory. A copy of the monograph, with floor plan, will be sent to the school shortly, so that they can have a better idea of their roots.

Former pupils' recollections
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who attended the school during those years, or from anyone with photos of the school or of the masters, or anything about the ownership of 'Skippers' between 1893 and 1945, so prior to J.R. Ward turning it into a school. Any of your recollections of those times (1960-1963) would be most welcome.

School photograph
I have a digitised copy of the boys at 'Skippers' taken opposite the Refectory in 1962. Ca. 90 boys. None of the masters are in the photograph. If you were at school then and would like a copy of this B&W 'panoramic' photo, please let me know.

Former masters or teachers
If you have photographs of former teachers who were at the school between 1958 and 1965, please let me know, and especially so if you can identify the master concerned. Does anyone out there have a photo of J.R. Ward, or of the school building ca. 1958-1965? I'm particularly trying to find more details about Colonel Faro and his origins, who taught Latin, as well as the origins and background of Mr Mander ('Skip') who, as I recall, taught mathematics and ran these Sea Scouts there (1960-1963).

Archive | Alumni society
There is no archive that I know about for the dates in question, nor was there an alumni society set up for boys leaving the school in the 1960s. Consequently, it is virtually impossible to trace any of former pupils without resorting to advertising in 'The Times'.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 July 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
It might be possible to discover which school the pupils went on to.  You could try contacting info@schoolarchivistsgroup.org
I assume you have looked at the National Archives site.  Several hits on that.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=%22skippers+hill%22

Online corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Skippers Hill Manor School in the 1960s
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
Former masters or teachers
If you have photographs of former teachers who were at the school between 1958 and 1965, please let me know, and especially so if you can identify the master concerned. Does anyone out there have a photo of J.R. Ward, or of the school building ca. 1958-1965? I'm particularly trying to find more details about Colonel Faro and his origins, who taught Latin, as well as the origins and background of Mr Mander ('Skip') who, as I recall, taught mathematics and ran these Sea Scouts there (1960-1963)

My father would have been a teacher there around 1955 to 1956.  He was a New Zealander who had come to the UK for a working holiday.  I think my mum was also a matron there in 1955 before she married (in April 1955)  This is before the time period you are wanting (1958 to 1965) so PM me if you want photos.