Author Topic: Niblett family - mayor of Swindon  (Read 8209 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Niblett family - mayor of Swindon
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 January 14 07:59 GMT (UK) »
This might your man in 1871?

Class: RG10; Piece: 2638; Folio: 53; Page: 1
New Lodge Inn, Littleworth, Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire

Niblett, Edwin  Head  M  61  Builder & Inn Keeper  b Avening, Glos
Niblett, Eliza  Wife  F  61  b Avening
Niblett, Edwin  Grandson  M  8  Scholar  b Dalston, Middlesex
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 January 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I noticed that, on his original attestation records, his next of kin was Paul Niblett, Uncle.
This was later crossed out and replaced with his wife's name.

The 1881 census has a William P Niblett, a Builder, living at The New Lodge in Minchinhampton?
Could that be the same address as Edwin & Eliza in 1871? ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Nic011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 January 14 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A surprise to see this thread in action again after nearly 9 years!  Geoff, I will dig out any information I have on Harry's wife Sarah and let you know.  Lots of further interesting information today too.  Thank you.  I will have a proper look at it later and respond again.

Nicola
Leswisse  Swansea
Davies  Swansea
Milliner Gloucestershire
Melsome Gloucestershire
Niblett Gloucestershire

Offline Nic011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 January 14 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry for delay.  Details I have of Sarah Milliner are as follows: 
Sarah Jane Milliner born 1868, Stroud, Gloucester. She lived in Hawthorn House, Lower Littleworth, Amberley, Glos.

Father - Albert Isaac Milliner -  b. 6.5.1843 Stroud, died 15.11.1896 in Stroud.

Mother- Annie Gardner/Wright /Milliner - b.26.11.1840 in Bisley Glos. died 29.12.1915 in Morriston, Swansea.

Sarah's brother William Robert was my great grandfather.  If you would like names/details of her brothers and sisters let me know and I will forward those.

Would you be able to confirm the names of Henry and Sarah's children please? I have some, but don't know if they are complete/correct.  Also, wondering if you knew where Henry went to when he left the army?
Leswisse  Swansea
Davies  Swansea
Milliner Gloucestershire
Melsome Gloucestershire
Niblett Gloucestershire

Offline Woodflute37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 January 14 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nicola
Thanks for your response and sorry for my delayed reply.

We seem to be on the right track regarding Sarah Jane Niblett (my granny) and her husband Harry E. Niblett. I have some information, much of it in the form of press cuttings from their time as Mayor and Mayoress of Swindon in 1937/38. My sister, Pat Bowen, has more of the family archives at her home in Porthcawl. I infer from some of your postings that you live in South Wales. If this is so, there may be the possibility of meeting to discuss the family history.

As for the children of Harry and Jane Niblett, I can confirm three of the names for your earlier list:-

Dorothy - my Auntie 'Dolly'; Jessie Rosa - my mother; Robert - my Uncle Bob. All deceased.
There was a fourth son, the eldest, always known to us as Uncle 'Jock', I think because of his association with Scottish Regiments, but I don't know his proper name.

After a long distinguished, much decorated career in the army, mostly in India, Sergeant Major Niblett retired in 1912. The family then moved to Swindon. When war broke out in 1914, he was recalled to the army and given a commission. He spent a large part of the war in Mesopotamia (Iraq), and finally retired in 1920 with the rank of Major and a Military OBE.

I am not sure of the procedure for making direct contact with you, but if you are interested I and my sister have more information on this subject.

Regards

Geoff

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 January 14 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure of the procedure for making direct contact with you, but if you are interested I and my sister have more information on this subject.

Geoff,

You must first make 3 posts (so post once more - any old rubbish will do!).
Then you will be able to use the PM (Personal Message/Private Message) system.

Click on the document symbol, underneath the other poster's name and avatar (on the left).
It will be green if they are currently online; else white.

The PM messages are private between the 2 of you, so you can exchange information (email addresses for example).

Anything put into a normal post can be viewed by internet browsers (Google, Bing, and the like) - which is why you should never put your email address in a normal post! ::)

Offline Woodflute37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 January 14 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information on messages

Offline jb39

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 June 16 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicola,

I met up with my uncle Geoff today and he told me about the communications that he's had with you about my Great Grandparents, Harry Edwin Newton Niblett and Sarah Milliner family.  He told me to sign up to Rootschat and make contact with you as you have explored the history of the Milliner family, so it seems that we may be related! From your earlier posts, it seems your Great Grandfather and my Great Grandmother were brother and sister.  Any further information you can give me on the Milliner family would be gratefully received.  I'm only just starting my search and it would be great to get some help, my mum and Geoff have shared what they know on the Niblett/Millner side.  Let me know if you have any questions yourself.  Hopefully you will get this message as it's been a couple of years since the last post.

Warm regards,
Joanne