Author Topic: Benjamin Lamoon  (Read 27804 times)

Offline TerryW6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Lamoon
« Reply #27 on: Friday 25 May 12 16:26 BST (UK) »
Well now I am confused. which shows that I am in a new area I suppose.

It would appear that my Joseph the elder was a soldier who came from York (north east England). It also appears that we have two Martins! Time for some more investigation.

What I have noticed is the apparent matching of names of children between the three family groups in England. If one family had a William then within a year one of the other families would too. I guess they were in touch by post but probably never met again.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 25 May 12 18:04 BST (UK) »
I just wondered if anyone has followed-up my suggestion re the army records? Knowing a regiment would enable you to trace where he was and when, allowing you to confirm families by birth places of children.

Martin

Offline Avance0306

• RootsChat Extra
  • History Teaches About Our Past, Present, & Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 26 May 12 01:38 BST (UK) »
I just wondered if anyone has followed-up my suggestion re the army records? Knowing a regiment would enable you to trace where he was and when, allowing you to confirm families by birth places of children.

Martin

Hi Martin,
Thank you for your suggestion - I've tried to look up military records but I'm afraid that I might have done something wrong because I couldn't find a regiment?
I don't have funds to hit the Find My Past site either - Google searching is all that I have available to me right now.
I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind once I'm able to go further with my research.

If you have any insight on what to look for, I'd appreciate the help!

Thanks again,
sara
Feder, Avance, Cantle, Wilson, Whitehead, Morton, Lamoon, Allen - American, English, Scottish, Irish and German.

Offline TerryW6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 27 May 12 15:15 BST (UK) »
Crimea,

I have picked up Joseph's military record from somewhere on here and his time in Ireland with his regiment coincides with the birth of his children there.

I am going to use the search facilities at my local library this week (I hope!) we can use "Ancestry" free with a library card.

As Sara has really moved me on with this, I am planning a trip to the National Archive, in Kew, later in the year. As it is a full day out I will have to make a list of all the things that I want to research for both myself and my wife.

Offline Avance0306

• RootsChat Extra
  • History Teaches About Our Past, Present, & Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 27 May 12 15:32 BST (UK) »
Terry!
I am so jealous! I would give just about anything to be able to go through the archives! Oh my word, the history there!
Sorry, I'm a history nut lol

I will help wherever I can!

Sara
Feder, Avance, Cantle, Wilson, Whitehead, Morton, Lamoon, Allen - American, English, Scottish, Irish and German.

Offline TerryW6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 27 May 12 17:03 BST (UK) »
Yes Sara, having a National Archive that contains almost everything that has ever happened in this country is certainly a bonus.

Mind you, if you ever get to visit The Tower of London, the Yeoman Warders ( or Beefeaters as they are commonly called, usually start off their guided tour by asking visitors where they come from.

Citizens of The United States are told, tongue in cheek, that; "If you had paid your taxes, all of this would have been yours!" :)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 27 May 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
Have you guys seen that Benjamin Lamoon is on the 1861 census in Clifton Glousteshire - his surname was mistranscribed as Samson

He is listed as being a Chelsea Pensioner and just has a housekeeper living with him

He is also on the 1851 Census - surname mistranscribed as Lemon this time - he is down as being a pensioner, living by himself.

Benjamin Lemoon
Apr-May-Jun 1866
District: Clifton
County Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a Page 71

George Curdell and Robert Chapman were the executors of the will

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 27 May 12 19:25 BST (UK) »
There has been mention here that one branch of the family were tailor's and I was wondering had you seen this:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__Anne_s_Ward/Alexander_Street/959583/

While doing searches the surname Lemon and Lamon are coming up so it might be worth taking these into consideration when doing your searches.

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 27 May 12 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi 'avance0306'

can you just clarify where you got the name Benjamin as Martin's father !!

It would appear to me that there was a Joseph and Mary / Benjamin and Bridget having children in Ireland at the same time.

Both Joseph and Benjamin were military men so that does seem to be confusing issues.

I just want to make sure that you are tracing the correct family line !

Tara