Author Topic: EDGAR sisters from UK to USA between 1911 and 1929  (Read 4006 times)

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
EDGAR sisters from UK to USA between 1911 and 1929
« on: Tuesday 31 May 11 09:36 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone can help with a passenger list (I am not sure they emigrated together, but that's the story) for two sisters who emigrated from Glasgow to USA, and married in Pittsburgh on the same day in 1929:

Elizabeth Dunlop EDGAR, born 1904, Glasgow, Scotland, married 16 Dec 1929, Pittsburgh, PA

Christina Dewar EDGAR, born 1907, Glasgow, Scotland, married 16 Dec 1929, Pittsburgh, PA

Both sisters are on the 1911 census in Glasgow, Scotland.

Many thanks for any help.
CRUST - Kent (Kingsnorth, Mersham)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: EDGAR sisters from UK to USA between 1911 and 1929
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 09:46 BST (UK) »
New York Passenger List - Christina Edgar. Aged 19 Years born Scotland -  Travelling Glasgow to New York on the California.  2 September 1925. Occupation Saleswoman. Also travelling Elizabeth Dunlop Edgar. Aged 50 yrs. Widowed. .  Housekeeper. Elizabeth Dunlop Edgar. Aged 21 years Shop Assst. Address from whence came:- Janet Mann, 60 Arissig Drive, Mosspark. Glasgow
Going to son -  David Edgar. 309 No Lindean Avenue. Pittsburg.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Sandra.  So David EDGAR (the sisters' father, born 1873, Glasgow, in Glasgow for the 1911 census) was already there, presumably emigrated earlier.  So, you can guess what my next question is  ;)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 10:36 BST (UK) »
When the son David (aged 21 yrs -  Fitter) arrived 5 October 1923 on the California, he was destined to a friend in Pittsburg -  William Simpson, 311 East Linden Avenue, Pittsburg PA. Named his Mother as the nearest relative:- Mrs Elizabeth Edgar, 327 Clarkston Road. Glasgow. Manifest markings indictae a date of 3 July 1931 - perhaps Naturalization. There is a note on the passenger list that David had defective speech - stammering.

No sign of the father David going earlier, maybe he died in Scotland.  ???

Minnie Blair (aged 26 yrs. Secretary - single)  arrives 15 May 1939 on the Caledonia, going to fiance:- Mr David Edgar, 1455 1/2 Cresson Street. Wilkensburg. PA

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 10:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry Sandra, I got carried away asking questions and should have checked David EDGAR snr's dates.  Just found his death in Glasgow, 1916.  Informant is his sister-in-law, Janet MANN.

David EDGAR jnr did have a stammer.
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 11:55 BST (UK) »
No problem Jonathan, pleased you have found him and mystery solved.

Sandra

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 17:31 BST (UK) »
The family appears to be in the 1929 Pittsburgh city directory here:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0dis/

David M. and Elizabeth (widow of David) appear to be in the 1930 Pittsburgh city directory here:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0dit/

1930 Census, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 7617 Hamilton St.

Edger, David, head, rents home for $50, owns radio set, male, white, age 28, single, b. Scotland, parents b. Scotland, language spoken in home before coming to US - Scotch, immigrated 1923, first papers filed for naturalization, machinist - electrical products

Edgar, Elizabeth D., mother, female, white, age 55, widowed, b. Scotland, parents b. Scotland, language spoken in home before coming to US - Scotch, immigrated 1925, alien, no occupation

Barcley, Christine D., sister, female, white, age 22, married, age at 1st marriage - 21, b. Scotland, parents b. Scotland, language spoken in home before coming to US - Scotch, immigrated 1925, alien, no occupation

Barcley, John B., brother-in-law, male, white, age 29, married, age at 1st marriage - 28, b. Scotland, parents b. Scotland, language spoken in home before coming to US - Scotch, immigrated 1922, alien, machinist - automobile co.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
In case you don't have it already, I think this is your Christina:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0div/  I found an obituary for her that includes survivors, which I can send to you via PM if you need it.  I also found another obit that mentions that she was the sister of the late David Edgar and Elizabeth Anderson.

I also found Christina on a passenger list from Glasgow to New York arriving 25 Nov. 1934.  She was going to join her husband John at 1455 1/2 Cresson St., Wilkinsburg, Pa.  She had been in the US/in Wilkinsburg from 1925-1934.  Her mother was listed as Mrs. Elizabeth Edgar, 183 Pollock Street, Glasgow C.5. 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 18:25 BST (UK) »
I also found an obituary for Elizabeth D. "Bess" Anderson of Wilkinsburg, who died 8 May 1994.  She was the wife of the late William Anderson.  Her sister was listed as Ina Edgar Barclay, and two nieces and a nephew were mentioned.