Author Topic: Sandys / Speer / Litchfield  (Read 5739 times)

Offline genial

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sandys / Speer / Litchfield
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 04:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that info - it's been a while since I looked at this family;  I have had access to the online Westminster archives for some time, and also TD registers online.    Will reply in 2 parts

Here's what I have found:  (only included what is different from/additional to your info above):

Mary Speer

William Speer b 8 Dec 1785, bp 3 Jan 1785 St Margaret,  buried at TD 3 Jul 1796 (another sibling named William born Sep 1796)

Thomas Wilson Speer

Eliza Katherine Speer died 16 Apr 1859, bur 21 Apr TD  (spinster)
The Morning Chronicle, 21 Apr 1859  on 16th inst, Eliza Katharine, eldest dau of the late Wm Speer, Esq of Weston, Surrey, and Park Prospect, Westminster, aged 72
Gentleman's Magazine,   death;   16 Apr 1859, aged 71, Eliza Katherine, eldest dau of the late William Speer, Esq, of Weston Surrey and Park Prospect, Westminster     

Maria Speer
Daily News, Friday 13 Oct 1871 died 5 Oct at Weston, Thames Ditton, Maria Speer, dau of the late W Speer, Esq, of Park Prospect, St James's park and Weston, Thames Ditton, Surrey, aged 83.
The Pall Mall Gazette, Friday 6 Oct 1871 Speer, Miss M, at Thames Ditton, died 5 Oct

Ann Matilda Speer bur 26 Dec 1790 St Margaret

Frances Speer b 26 Jun 1791, bp 25 Jul 1791 St Margaret bur Jan 1861 Thames Ditton (spinster)
London Times, 5 Jan 1861, death.  On 2nd inst, Frances Speer of Weston Green, Thames Ditton, Surrey, third dau of the late William Speer Esq of the Treasury, Whitehall.
The Morning Chronicle, Monday, 7 Jan 1861 (also in London Times, 5 Jan 1861) On 2nd inst, Frances Speer of Weston Grove, Thames Ditton, Surrey, third dau of the late William Speer, Esq of the Treasury Whitehall

Edward Speer b 30 May 1792, bp 25 Jun 1792 St Margaret bur 17 Nov 1859 Addlestone (bachelor) 
The Morning Chronicle, 16 Nov 1859 On 11th inst, at Addlestone, Surrey, Edward Speer, Esq, formerly of HM Treasury

Henry Speer bur 25 Sep 1793 St Margaret (surname indexed as Speers)

Arthur Speer

Wilson Speer - apart from bur at TD 24 Apr 1796, I have no more about him except that I believe he was not just an infant and from the Bank of England note, it seems he is a son of a William Speer who died c 1805-1806 whereas William Speer husband of Mary died in 1844.  He is possibly then some sort of cousin.
Bank of England will extract;  Wilson Speer of Park Prospect Westminster, Esquire, died possessed of £200 of these annuities and dying intestate Letters of Administration dated at Doctors Commons the 29th of Apr 1796 were granted to **William Speer, Esq, the natural and lawful father of the said deceased who may dispose of this stock.  Registered 10 May 1796. ( ** refers to a note in the margin - William Speer is dead as appears by Letter of Admon of the goods unadministered of the said Wilson Speer granted at Doctors Commons 19 December 1805 to William Speer Esq the son and administrator.  Registered 2 January 1806)

William Speer b 21 Sep 1796, bp 22 Oct 1796 St Margaret, bur 20 Nov 1796 St Margaret (bur indexed as Spear)

genial :) Sydney Aus 8 Aug 2017   end part 1 of 2
BARNES  JELLICO  *WATERS  Ken
BECK Dev/Canada
BIRKLEY BOWMAN  CHATER  COWENS  MUNDLE  OGILVIE   STEPHENSON  STEWART    Dur/Nbl
*BULL  MEAD  *SHADWELL  Wil
*CHASELING  DIXSON   GOLDING   *GOODMAN  JELLICO   RYALL  *SNOWDON  WHITE  *WILBOW  *WILSON  Lnd/Mdx
COVER   GOLDRING   *PANNELL   Ssx
DAY  RANDALL  Gls
FARLEY  GOLDRING  JELLICO  Sry
FURMAGE  Dor
*GOODMAN  WHITE  Bucks
JELLICO  India
*McLAREN  Per Sct
*MCWATERS  Lanark
OGILVIE Rox Sct
*PANNELL  PAYTON  Ham
*WIGHTMAN  Dow (NI)
* = also in Aus

Offline genial

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 04:32 BST (UK) »
reply part 2
Cecilia Speer d 18 Aug 1863 Kingston, Sry, bur 25 Aug 1863 Brompton Cemetery
The Morning Chronicle 7 Dec 1825  On Monday, 5th inst, at St Margaret's Westminster by the Rev William Johnson Rodber, Hannibal Sandys jun Esq of Great Queen Street, Westminster, to Cecilia 4th dau of Wm Speer, Esq of Weston,Surrey

Wilfred Speer d 25 Oct 1856 TD, bur Oct 1856 Woking, Sry.  Married Sarah Speer 26 Aug 1830 St Margaret.   (Sarah b c 1799 London, d 10 Nov 1865 Worthing, Ssx, bur Nov 1865 Woking, Sry)

re his wife Sarah =  her  birth may be one of these although various census records indicate a birth year of 1806 or 1811.  Said to be aged 66 when she died
*  St Dunstan in the East - Sarah Speer dau of Robert Speer and Amey, born 13 Aug, bp 27th 1799
*  St Mary at Lambeth - Sarah Speer dau of Daniel and Ann Speer, bp 23 Nov 1800
Morning Post, 14 Nov 1865  On 10th inst at Worthing, Sarah, widow of the Rev W Speer of West End Lodge, Thames Ditton, Surrey

Adelin Speer

Eleanor Speer - have no record of a death for her between 1803-1811.  Census records for 1841, 1861, 1871 all indicate birth year of 1811 - I can find no bp for her at St Margaret around 1811.  Eleanor Dancer d 22 October 1880 Battle, Ssx.  Married William Dancer in 1855 at Wandsworth.  No children.  (age given for Eleanor in 1861 and 1871 census indicates birth year 1811 but when she died in 1880 her age was given as 77 indicating birth year 1803 - I wonder whether there was only one Eleanor and she put her age down for the census because she was older than her husband.
Hastings and St  Leonards Observer (Sussex) 30 October 1880.  Died Oct 22 at Battle, Eleanor, widow of the late W Dancer and last surviving dau of the late William Speer of Thames Ditton and Park Prospect, Westminster, aged 77 years

Wilhelm Speer d 4 Mar 1857 West Hill, Dartford, Ken;  married Mary Taylor 1853
London Times, 12 Mar 1857 On Wednesday, 4th inst, at his residence West Hill, Dartford, Captain Wilhelm Speer, late of Her Majesty's 71st Light Infantry

Constance Speer b 11 Apr 1806, bp 10 May 1806 St Margaret, d 13 September 1865 Hailsham, Ssx (spinster)  census records variously give her birth date as 1806, 1809, 1812
Evening Mail (London) 25 Sep 1865  Died 13th inst Miss Constance Speer of Hailsham, Sussex, aged 60
-----------------------------------
The letter from John Litchfield in 1964 to ?I think the local historical society says William Speer and Mary Jellico had 19 children - 16 of them in 16 years.  He may have been guessing the number because it was such a big family and/or he may have included other Speer family members who may have been cousins and not children of William Speer and Mary nee Jellico. 
----------------------------
I have also found bur at St Margaret's for two girls, but can find no corresponding bp (perhaps they weren't bp), and can't slot them into the rapidly-reproducing family of William Speer and the perpetually pregnant Mary Jellico - perhaps they belong to a cousin of William Speer (he had no brother)

Lucy Speer bur 26 Aug 1795
Clare Spear bur 6 Oct 1797
--------------------------
Rev Wilfred Speer and his wife Sarah nee Speer had 3 sons:
William Speer b 20 Jul 1831, bp 1 Sep 1831 St Margaret, bur 19 Jan 1835 TD

Wilfred Dakins Speer b 19 Dec 1833 TD, bp 23 Dec 1833 St Margaret;  d 7 Jun 1867 USA (murdered);  bur 2 Sep 1867 Woking, Sry (bachelor)  Much has been documented about him and the events surrounding his murder. 
Pall Mall Gazette, 3 Sep 1867 The remains of Capt Wilfred Speer who was shot on board the steamer "Octavia" near Fort Buford, Missouri River in Jun last, were yesterday interred in the family vault at the Necropolis, Woking, Surrey.

William Speer b 10 Oct 1836, bp 12 Nov 1835 TD, d 5 Apr 1868 Park Prospect, Westminster, bur Apr 1868 Woking, Sry. (bachelor)
The Morning Post, 8 April 1868 On 5th inst at Park Prospect, Westminster, Wm Speer, Esq of West End Lodge, Thames Ditton, Surrey, aged 33

Genial :)   Sydney Aus  8 Aug 2017
BECK Dev/Canada
BIRKLEY BOWMAN  CHATER  COWENS  MUNDLE  OGILVIE   STEPHENSON  STEWART    Dur/Nbl
*CHASELING  DIXSON   GOLDING   *GOODMAN  JELLICO   RYALL  *SNOWDON  WHITE  *WILBOW  *WILSON  Lnd/Mdx
DAY  RANDALL  Gls
FURMAGE  Dor
*GOODMAN  WHITE  Bucks
JELLICO  India
*McLAREN  Per Sct
*MCWATERS  Lanark
OGILVIE Rox Sct
*PANNELL  PAYTON  Ham
*WIGHTMAN  Dow (NI)
* = also in Aus

Offline ThamesDitton

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
"Wilson Speer - apart from bur at TD 24 Apr 1796, I have no more about him except that I believe he was not just an infant and from the Bank of England note, it seems he is a son of a William Speer who died c 1805-1806 whereas William Speer husband of Mary died in 1844.  He is possibly then some sort of cousin.
Bank of England will extract;  Wilson Speer of Park Prospect Westminster, Esquire, died possessed of £200 of these annuities and dying intestate Letters of Administration dated at Doctors Commons the 29th of Apr 1796 were granted to **William Speer, Esq, the natural and lawful father of the said deceased who may dispose of this stock.  Registered 10 May 1796. ( ** refers to a note in the margin - William Speer is dead as appears by Letter of Admon of the goods unadministered of the said Wilson Speer granted at Doctors Commons 19 December 1805 to William Speer Esq the son and administrator.  Registered 2 January 1806)"

Excellent - this must mean Wilson Speer is the brother of William Speer (1764) and son of William's father William Speer (c. 1717 - late Nov 1805, buried 2 Dec 1805 at TD) who also rose to Chief Clerk in the Treasury and married Katherine Wilson.  I have the following summary in my notes:

"William Speer was born on 24 October 1764 and baptised on 6 December at St. Margaret's, Westminster,  the third child of William Sr and Katherine.  Their probable first, Elizabeth Speer born 1758, named after Katherine's sister,  died in 1827 (buried St Martin in the Fields).  The second, their first son named William after his father, was born 18 January 1760, baptised 5 February 1761 and died later that year, being buried on 6 Aug 1761 in St Margaret's.  Honor Katherine Speer, named Honor after Katherine's deceased mother, was born 18 October 1762 and buried 5 June 1763, St Margaret's.  William jr. - the second attempt at an heir named after his father - survived and thrived.  A further son, Francis Townley Speer, was born on 25 August 1771 and buried on 17 October that year."

However, I have not been able to find the birth particulars of Wilson Speer as son of William & Katherine.

Offline genial

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 August 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
Agree Wilson Speer must be brother of Wm Speer (b 1764) and I now believe I've located his baptism - at St Margaret, Westminster, b 20 Oct 1768, bp 19 Nov 1768 - he is entered as "William Speere, s of Wm Esq by Katherine".

As their son William b 1764 survived to adulthood, this then must be Wilson, but entered in the parish reg as William.

Have you seen the PCC will of Catherine's father Robert?  PROB11/825, made 20 September 1754, proved 10 September 1745.  The wording of it is interesting if a little repetititive - wonder what were the reasons behind it.

That's interesting about Elizabeth Speer c 1758-1827;  I had no record of her.  I had found the births of other siblings to William b 1764  - but my interests lie more with the Jellico-Speer descendants rather than the Speer family itself.

Katherine would have been a fairly old mother when her youngest child was born in 1771 - she was born in March 1722/23!
BECK Dev/Canada
DAY  RANDALL  Gls
FURMAGE  Dor
*GOODMAN  WHITE  Bucks
JELLICO  India
*McLAREN  Per Sct
*MCWATERS  Lanark
OGILVIE Rox Sct
*PANNELL  PAYTON  Ham
*WIGHTMAN  Dow (NI)
* = also in Aus