Author Topic: meaning of 'scholar at home' 1851 Great Crosby  (Read 1776 times)

Offline maytime

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
meaning of 'scholar at home' 1851 Great Crosby
« on: Tuesday 31 May 11 17:55 BST (UK) »
What is the meaning of 'scholar at home' when the child is not living with family?

In 1851 my great grandfather, Edward CHADWICK, 10, and his sister Elizabeth, 12, were at 1 Adelaide Terrace, Great Crosby. Head of the household was Matilda Watson, schoolmistress. Also at the address were Matilda Smith, niece, 19, 'scholar boarder,' and John Leigh, 6. All three children were classed as 'scholar at home,' in the occupation column. Edward and Elizabeth were from Ashton-under-Lyne, where their large extended family, fairly affluent millowners, lived. Their father was overseas and mother Mary not yet located in 1851. She may be deceased, doesn't appear in Great Crosby or A-u-L and isn't with father. Matilda Watson was in A-u-L in 1841 but isn't related as far as I know.

Would 'scholar at home' mean simply that the children lived with Matilda Watson and were taught by her? Is there a difference between 'scholar boarder' and 'scholar at home' other than age?

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: meaning of 'scholar at home' 1851 Great Crosby
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 19:52 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it simply means that yes, they were scholars in someone`s home  where they lived rather than a larger boarding school where there would be more staff and dormitories etc.
Genteel ladies who were widowed or not married and financially constrained often earned a living by opening a "Dame`s School". This was relatively more respectable than other ways of earning a living, and there were very few open to such ladies.
Hope you get a clear answer.
                                                 Viktoria.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 19:52 BST (UK) »
Would 'scholar at home' mean simply that the children lived with Matilda Watson and were taught by her

Yes - that's what it means.  
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline maytime

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 03:02 BST (UK) »
Viktoria and Carole, your responses corroborate what I was thinking. Matilda Watson was widowed in 1842 which probably led to her starting her small school. It could be she knew the Chadwick family from her time in Ashton-under-Lyne and they sent the children to her. I think it very likely that their mother, Mary Chadwick, had died by that time. I've searched for her death but the three likely certificates I bought all turned out to be the wrong person so I need to do more searching there.

Many thanks for your help.

Offline PeterinScotland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 16 00:22 GMT (UK) »
"CHILDREN.—If children are regularly pursuing or assisting in any occupation it should be stated. If daily attending a National, Denominational, or private school, or receiving tuition under a master or governess at home, it should be specified by writing against the names "attending National school," "attending Denominational school," " attending private scliool," " scholar at home," as the case may be. When only in the relation of Son, Daughter, or other relative, write •* Domestic Duties," as in the case of women."

Taken from the act for census in Victoria, Australia, 1857:
www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/hist_act/aaftaaotp387.pdf

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 January 16 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Taken from the act for census in Victoria, Australia, 1857:
www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/hist_act/aaftaaotp387.pdf

The query above relates to an English census which possibly had different instructions for such entries
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline maytime

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 16 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Peter and Carole,
Thank you for these new responses. It's possible that the census requirements in Victoria were based on English ones in the early days. I found an English explanation which said only that children receiving regular tuition were to be classed as scholars. I've concluded that the phrase, "scholars at home," may mean that this school literally was a home for these children as their father was in New South Wales, and their mother could be deceased, as I haven't located her in 1851, nor her death at any time. Mary Chadwick is a common name in Lancashire. It's an ongoing quest.