Author Topic: Gillow family and a George Scattergood  (Read 11195 times)

Offline fastfreddie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gillow family and a George Scattergood
« on: Wednesday 01 June 11 15:19 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with any info about the family of John Gillow who lived in Ballynaleck nr Poyntzpass.  I cannot find exactly when he was born but I estimate it was around 1840.  He had two daughters - one was my grandmother - the other was named Martha Caroline and she married a man named George Scattergood (what a great name!) in Belfast in 1908. 

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gillow family and a George Scattergood
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   There is a will complete with image for your John in PRONI. See http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline fastfreddie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 16:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for pointing it out to me - I had not noticed the image was available - the inclusion of the images has just been a huge improvement by PRONI - they make the data so much more real and yet very sad at the same time. 

Dermot

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 16:21 BST (UK) »
Dermot,
           I also had a look for George Scattergood and found a 17 year old in an army barracks in Dublin in the 1901 census. He says he was born in Canada, The 1911 census has your George with his wife and child. He is now 29 ( age errors are common in the census) but he is now a cabinetmaker and says he was born in Co. Down. Can there be two George Scattergoods??? See http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline fastfreddie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 16:50 BST (UK) »
Surely we only have the one George Scattergood - I found him in a 1918 Belfast St Directory - but then he seems to go 'missing'. But the Canada idea is something new I will try - I wonder if he went back home?  Like you, I found a George Scattergood in the Irish Lancers in Dublin aged only 17 but then I have to ask how a young Martha Gillow from Ballynaleck ever met him? 
I did ask my Dad once about George and the Gillow Family and the only thing he would say was that George had a "colourful past!

Dermot

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 June 11 11:20 BST (UK) »
Think the confusion over George Scattergood's origins stems from the details in 1911 Census- says he and wife Martha are born Co. Down (would have thought she born Co.Armagh).

The first clue is George's full name as on marriage certificate- George FREDERICK Scattergood- and the names of his children: Gladys Caroline (1909), Herbert John (1911), Kathleen FRANCES (1915), Ida (1920)- and sadly looks like Martha died around the time of Ida's birth. Second clue is George's occupation in 1911- cabinetmaker.

In 1901 George F. Scattergood, age 19, cabinetmaker, is living with parents (William and FRANCES) and siblings in Lancashire, ENGLAND. He's also listed with them in 1891 census.

Have to go out now but let me know if you need more information on George Scattergood.

Also found more on Gillow family which I can post if you wish.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fastfreddie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 June 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
aghadowey

As you suspected, Ida's mother did die during childbirth.  I did know about Gladys - but the other children are completely new to me. 
But I am still confused about George and the Gillow family  The census details must be wrong - George cannot have been born in Ireland but when did he/they decide to come to Co Armagh?  I know he lived in Belfast after he and Martha were married - but he and the children must have left Belfast after Martha died (I think?)

And yes I would love to see any other data you have!

Thank-you so much for your help on this one.

Dermot

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 June 11 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   There is a military record of a George F Scattergood who was born in Halifax Canada in 1883. His father, not named was in the 1ST RMF?? George may have had a sister called Honor Lucy borg in 1881 in Canada.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 June 11 12:32 BST (UK) »
Am fairly sure that the George F. Scattergood in 1901 English census that I found is the correct person and George F. Scattergood born Canada is a different person. See reply #5
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!