Author Topic: Gillow family and a George Scattergood  (Read 11193 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gillow family and a George Scattergood
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 June 11 21:42 BST (UK) »
1891 Census- 23 Bridgewater Ave., Salford, Lancashire, England
Class: RG12; Piece: 3221; Folio 86; Page 28; GSU roll: 6098331
William Scattergood, 40, b.Salford, polisher furniture cab[ine]t
wife Frances Scattergood, 38, b.Mirfield Yorkshire
son William T. Scattergood, 10, b.Salford, scholar
son George F. Scattergood, 9, b.Salford, scholar
daughter Annie G. Scattergood, 6, b.Salford, scholar
daughter Edith E. Scattergood, 4, b.Salford
son Herbert H. Scattergood, 1, b.Salford

1901 Census- 65 Ellor? St., Salford, Lancashire
Class: RG13; Piece: 3733; Folio: 84; Page: 24
William Scattergood, 50, b.Salford, furniture packer
wife Frances Scattergood, 48, b.Mirfield Yorkshire
son William T. Scattergood, 21, b.Salford, French polisher
son George F. Scattergood, 19, b.Salford, cabinet maker
daughter Annie G. Scattergood, 16, b.Salford, weaver? (calico)
daughter Edith E. Scattergood, 14, b.Salford, dressmakers appren[tice]
son Herbert H. Scattergood, 11, b.Salford

Marriage: William Scattergood July/Sept.1877 Salford 8d65 (Frances Tattersall on same page)
Birth: William Tattersall Scattergood, Apr./June 1990 Salford 8d174
Birth: Annie Gertrude Scattergood July/Sept.1884 Salford 8d162
Marriage? Scattergood Annie G  Apr/June 1914 Salford 8d155 (groom Harold Kinley, twins born 1915)
Birth: Herbert Henry Scattergood, Apr./June 1890 Salford 8d126 (possible marriage, birth of son on Free BMD)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline badmama

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 September 12 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey

If you don't have this info:-
Frances Tattersall, she is the daughter of William Tattersall and Alice nee Irlam.
Frances was born in Mirfield Yorkshire, her father was sent there for a short time when he was a policeman.

Are you following the Tattersall family ? if so I have another 2 generations that you might want.

Ann

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 16 September 12 11:26 BST (UK) »
It was fastfreddie that started the topic and I was just helping find information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline badmama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 September 12 23:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry, thanks for letting me know, fastfreddie will probably read my post and post a reply if he wants the Tattersall infomation.

Kind regards
Ann

Offline fastfreddie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 September 12 10:10 BST (UK) »
Ann

Thanks but I am not really following the Tattersall family, my interest is in the Gillow family.  The link to the Scattergood family is because one of the children - George - moved over to Belfast in 1900/01 and eventually married Martha Gillow (her family came from nr Poyntzpass).  At this point the tree becomes a little complex as it involves an adoption of one of their offspring.  It was this branch that aghadowey very kindly helped me sort out. 

Thanks again
Dermot

Offline Ballyhoy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 December 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Just trying to trace family roots and was wondering what the connection was with the scattergood  and gillow families,I have been to a grave near poyntspass both names are on headstone ,I have read some posts and now see the connection but still wonder how they are related to my family(also Gillow) of ballyhoy,brootly Armagh,

Offline Lorna Liggett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 February 19 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I’ve just come across your post. My husband knows a little of this family.
Annie scattergood married a Liggett and lived in Acton poyntzpass. Her sister Martha Caroline gillow married George scattergood. Martha was a seamstress in Belfast and may have met George there.
They had Gladys, Bernie and Ida. Martha died during the birth of Ida. Her sister Annie left Acton and went to Belfast on the train and brought the baby home to Acton.
Ida was called Ida Liggett. Not sure if officially adopted. My mum went to poyntzpass primary school with her.
Ida married a George McCann and had 2 children George and Elizabeth who are still alive and living in portadown.
When Ida was about 14 her father George came from Belfast to take her home as she was on working age!!  My husbands grandfather supposedly chased him!! 
The father George remarried and had a daughter Kathleen Francis  I think in Manchester.
Gladys married Pask. My husband used to visit her in Hove and he went to her funeral many years ago.
This is all I know
Hope it helps.
Lorna

Offline Lorna Liggett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 February 19 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Noticed a spelling error sons name was Herbie.
Herbie scattergood lived in Belfast, inherited a farm near corcrum poyntzpass but sold it!!  Married someone called hazel from Dublin.
Then he went to England. Bolton we think. Buried in England though his name on a heAdstone at Tyrone’s ditches poyntzpass.
Herbie had a son and 2 daughters.
Kathleen Francis died age 12 from scarlet fever.
Lorna

Offline Facts1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 16 February 19 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Just wanted to clear up some facts on George Fredrick Scattergood.
I am related to George's 2nd wife Ann O'Connor.

Martha Scattergood did not die in childbirth but a few weeks after Ida was born.
Martha's family came and took Ida away to live with them on the day that Martha was buried.
George still had his other 3 children in his care and wanted Ida with them too. However, despite numerous attempts by George to bring Ida back home, and NOT when she was of work age but from when she was a baby, Martha's family did in fact chase him when he went to see his daughter and they refused for some reason that only they know but George had his own thoughts regarding.

George remarried 2 years after Martha's death and did have a daughter with his 2nd wife but her name is not Kathleen Francis, as Lorna states, she is called Alice Joan.

The 3 children from the first marriage lived with George, his 2nd wife and their daughter Alice Joan. Gladys lived with her father and stepmother until she left home to go live in England when she was 35 years old which would suggest that she was quite happy with them.
Herbie visited his father twice a month whilst he lived in Northern Ireland.

George Scattergood was a hard working man who did all he could to support his family and he loved them all dearly.
If this happened today I daresay Martha's family would not get away with removing Ida from her family home.
In fact it was cruel in a way that she didn't know her siblings or her half sister.

There are always two sides to every story and I feel I have to tell the facts and not have a good decent man vilified by hearsay.