Author Topic: James Seery  (Read 13277 times)

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Seery
« on: Wednesday 01 June 11 16:01 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on a James Seery a member of the Irish Citizen Army.  He was one of the men in the ICA company commanded by Captain Sean Connolly who took over the Dublin City Hall on Easter Monday 1916.

Offline ForeverEnding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Seery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 May 12 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hey wondering if you've found any information on this James Seery, come across him in some family research and wanna see if he's a relation

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 May 12 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi There Forever Ending

Can't say that I have solved this mystery but I can give you a little background.  My father George Connolly was in City Hall on Easter Monday 1916 and with a group of five others they captured the guard room of Dublin Castle, in the group was James Seery.  Subsequently my father married Kathleen Seery in 1917.  However, I knew her brothers (my uncles) Dan, Walter, Christopher and Patrick.  Never came across James and at this stage, none of the family can help me, I think James may have been my mother's uncle, but so far have not been able to verify.  I know that after the surrender my father and James went on the run and hid out at the Seery house.

If you can contribute any more information on this mystery, I'd be grateful.

Shiraz

Offline ForeverEnding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 May 12 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hey Shiraz,

I'm still looking into it as I have Sheery Decendents as well, Of which there is a James who would have been my great grandmother Esther Seery's brother.

The 1911 Census has the surname misspelled as Seary but in the original you can clearly see that it says Seery. He was 17 in 1911

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0mj8/

and I'm having trouble trying to figure out if it's the same guy though it might be.
Their fathers name was Jeremiah (Born C1876), who married a Winifred Fitzgerald, who had two other sons that I know of, Bartholomew and John.  Bartholomew married an Elizabeth Ferguson. I haven't found out anything about John yet. Is it possible Kathleen was the daughter of John or Bartholomew?
There are a few seery families around dublin at the time and it's likely that they are related. There are a few other James Seery's in the census though

Moderator Note: long link shrunk. Please use 'shrink link' at bottom of page

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 May 12 11:54 BST (UK) »
To: Forever Ending

The 1911 census entry is interesting as Mary is listed as the Head of the Household and James is listed as a brother...must be her husband's brother.  Do you know the name of Mary's husband?.  My grand mother's maiden name was Mary Anne Brady and she married a Patrick Seery. The other names John, Bartholemew, Jeremiah don't ring a bell with anything I've traced so far.

Shiraz

Offline ForeverEnding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 May 12 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hey Siraz,
I don't know about Mary's husbands name. There is a Mary Seery who was the daughter of Jeremiah and Winifred though then her son's name should different, Esther and James are her siblings. I have Esther's baptisimal information below. They were baptised if St. Nicolas of Myra on Francis St. in Dublin and there was a John Seery as well.

/1896-1899. 1949- Seery, Esther Mary- Jeremiah Seery, Anne Tierney (15 Coombe St) Sponsers: John Seery, Mary Seery- Dob: 24/03/1898 Bap:27/03/1898

2/1893-1896. 1116- Seery, John Joseph - Jeremiah Seery, Anne Tierney (15 Coombe St) Sponsers: Thomas Nolan, Anne Smyth Dob: 27/12/1894 Bap:31/12/1894

Jeremiah Seery, 6 there, is named after his grandfather and is Mary's Son. So if you don't know a Jeremiah then maybe it's not the same one. ( I know his birth info is at https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBL6-FZK so next time I'm in town I can check the general register's office for the fathers name) Though there is also the chance he could have died young. I came across a reference of a Jeremiah marrying in the 30's though which might be him.

Jeremiah Seery
Date of Registration:    Jan-Feb-Mar 1936
Registration district:    Dublin South
Volume:    2
Page:    445

The 1901 census info for these Seery's (Again misspelled and with Jeremiah spelt wrong)  is

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Merchants_Quay/Coombe_Street/1344461/

It could be a seperate branch of the tree going back further though.

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 May 12 13:11 BST (UK) »
To: Forever Ending

I think we are talking about a totally different branch of the family, probably related some where back in history.  I'll keep looking if I find anything I'll let you know. As I live in South Africa, I'm sort of cut off when it comes to research.

Regards
Shiraz

Offline furie1335

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 June 13 03:42 BST (UK) »
That James Seery was my grandfather.
He was Born in 1898 in Philidelphia, PA but after the death of his mother and his father (Thomas) suffered an accident on the railroad, James and his older sister Mary were sent back to Ireland to be raised by relatives (Crom in County Fermanagh) in 1905/6. All I know is that he fled to Scotland then eventually ending back the US, New York, in 1921.
he had three other siblings Thomas, Ann, and Kathleen all of whom were raised by relatives in New York.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 June 13 09:41 BST (UK) »
This looks like your James Seery with relatives in 1911 but Mary is shown as 2 years younger-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Crum/Derryhooley/523244
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!