Author Topic: Tully/Buckham of Roxburghshire  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Nobska

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tully/Buckham of Roxburghshire
« on: Friday 03 June 11 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hello -

I am looking for information regarding James Tully b. abt 1786 possible in Morebattle. It could also be Roxburgh or in Jedburgh. He married Newton Rebecca Buckham abt 1805 in Roxburgh and they had three known children (all in Scotland), Mary, John and Janet Newton. James, Rebecca and Mary all died and are buried in Athelstan, Quebec.

The entire family emigrated in 1814 to Quebec, Canada. I have a note that his parents may be John Tully and Catherine Walker. I have searched Scotland's People and other sites and can find no additional information on the family. There are plenty of Tully lines, especially from this area, but none of them seem to match up. I am hoping there might be someone here who can give me an idea where to look next.

Thank you in advance,

Beth
Oregon, USA
Elder, Tully, Munro, Hosie, Gardner, McKinnon, Luke
Boase, Ellacott, Pain, Pengelley, Bone, Millett, Lugg, Marrack,
Rowe, Read, Green

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tully/Buckham of Roxburghshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 11 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Beth

I did a search on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk   for banns marriages  using the name Buckham  with Spouse  tu* no dates in Roxburgh  you get 2 results. Have you checked these out.

Remember spellings in the time period you are looking at may not be how we spell these names today as I know to my cost.

Yours Aye

BruceL

Offline canadianamerican

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi...I found this...
James Tully...Burial....1856/12/30
                     Death...1856/12/26
Elgin county Ontario
witness Alexander Anderson
notes aged 76 years, native of Jedburgh Scotland
Scotch Church Huntingdon and St.Michael's Church in connection with the Church of Scotland
Minister Alexander Wallace
Source:3.221
www.swquebec.ca/index

Offline Rustey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 June 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi:
The James Tully family you are seeking info on is my direct ancestry line. James Tully and Newton Rebecca Buckham had eight children, five born in Scotland, most likely in Morebattle, the rest in  Ste. Foy and Elgin Quebec, Canada. One named Mary died at the age of two and a subsequent girl born three years later was given the same name!  Their children were in order of birth: Janet Aug 6 1806, Mary Apr 9 1808, John Oct 1 1809, Mary Aug 2 1811, Elizabeth Jul 8 1813, Adam Jun 20 1815, Hannah Buckham Jul 16 1818, and Newton Rebecca Jan 13 1820.
I note in one of the responses to you that the burial site for some is Elgin, Ontario. That is incorrect. It is Elgin, Quebec!
I am searching further back for info on the family James comes from, i.e. did he have siblings? His parents, John Tully and Catherine Walker are the oldest ancestors in my record and are referred to in the old notes in my possession kept by my ancestors. I am interested in their background as well but seem to hit a dead end in the info available on the internet. Perhaps their info was lost in a fire or indeed may never have been recorded. I'd be most interested in any info in this regard you may come across.