Author Topic: 10 park street gloucester  (Read 3931 times)

Offline killys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
10 park street gloucester
« on: Friday 03 June 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
I have been doing my family tree and found that my gt gt grandmother.
was born in 10 park st gloucester in 1876, i have looked on map cant find park street
only upper park street can any one tell me if that is the street and are them houses still there.

hoping keith.

Offline west

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 10 park street gloucester
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 11 19:55 BST (UK) »
If you go to Google Street view it will show you what is left of the street.

West.
Wilts; Willis/Paintin;
Gloucs; Willis.Westbury on Seven.Hathaway Churcham.Sterry Westbury.
Glam; Hopkin.Daniel.Gethin.Brooks
Devon; Jackson.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
There's not much left of Park Street apart from the Park Street Mission Church http://www.gloucesterevangelistsassociation.org.uk/park_street_mission/index.htm  with 2 or 3 small houses and opposite this what was an old church, but is now a furniture warehouse.  The rest is a large car park and on the same side as the Mission the mainly modernish classrooms of the King's School. 

I shall be walking past there today and will look at the numbers of the houses just in case number 10 is still there. Unfortunately it may have been knocked down when a dual carriageway was constructed.

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
Keith

There are just 3 houses left now, 17, 17A and one without number, all in a row to the right of the Park Street Mission.  It looks as though number 10 would have been on the other side of the road where there is now a car park.  As you would see from the Mission website, the other houses were demolished about 20 years ago.

Sorry not to have better news for you.  Don't know why it was called Park Street, as there doesn't seem to have been a park there - there is one now, of course, but only for cars! ::) (Sorry!)

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
Looking at Old Maps from the late19th early 20th centuries there was some open land, to the NW of Park St, between the Cathedral/Bishops Palace and the railway (which is just to the North of Gouda Way) This open land also has a building at the edge of it marked as Pavillion.
Perhaps the B's palace grounds were known or used as a park.
The 1960-70 map shows it as a sports ground.
Just had a look at Google earth view and the sports ground is still there.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 June 11 09:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's now the sports ground and garden of the King's School, which is closely connected with the Cathedral and provides its choristers.

Offline west

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 June 11 16:41 BST (UK) »
There are two photo's in the Francis Frith collection of Park Street dated 1892 and 1950.

www.francisfrith.com explore your past  Gloucester

West.
Wilts; Willis/Paintin;
Gloucs; Willis.Westbury on Seven.Hathaway Churcham.Sterry Westbury.
Glam; Hopkin.Daniel.Gethin.Brooks
Devon; Jackson.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 June 11 10:41 BST (UK) »
Great find, West!  Park Street is divided into two parts by the railway line and the more modern dual carriageway which runs alongside it.  These two photos on page 6 show the lower half, whereas  I was describing the upper half in my earlier posting.  In the Francis Frith photos of 1950 and 1872 the building on the right was Robert Raikes' original Sunday School (see picture on page 1).  That is still there, though it's a pub now.  The other buildings have gone and have recently been replaced by some modern flats facing yet another car park.    It looks as though the railway line was built in the 1840s or 50s, so the street would have been divided around then.

Gillg

killys'Keith
Are you receiving all this?