Author Topic: muir  (Read 4522 times)

Offline bzjane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: muir
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 August 11 18:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone who has responded to my plea for help. Sorry I haven't replied for a long time - death in family. My mum died in 2006 and I know my grandmother Annie died in 1983 and my mums half brother died some time ago but obviously any subsequent children of Annie and Thomas Laidlaw will probably still be alive so I am sensitive to that fact.

Offline miss muir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, my name is Jo Muir and I am trying to find out about my grandfathers mother and father.  All I know is that my grandfather was born in Ayrshire in roughly 1922 and his mother was called Annie Jane Muir and she was some sort of house maid I think. She gave him up for adoption but not before making sure the father of the baby Andrew McGowan was named as his paternal father.  She named my grandfather Andrew McGowan Muir after him.  My grandfather died over ten years ago and two years ago my father died and I remember as a child trying to find things out in census's in Muirkirk.  If any of this sounds familiar please do get in touch.  My grandfather always thought he was an orphan, even though he lived to have a large family himself.  It would be great if this was the same person and our family trees were somehow linked!

I look forward to hearing from you!  :)

Jo Muir

Offline bzjane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 August 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo, Great to hear from you. It certainly sounds like your Annie Jane Muir might well be the same as my Annie Jane Muir.
My mum was born in 1932 in Victory Park Cottage in Muirkirk and was informally adopted by the a local family. Mum was aware that she was adopted and that she had an older half brother called John Muir who also lived in the village.

I found out that mum was adopted when I was about 14 but it was quite confusing at times working out who was part of the adopted family and who was a blood relative. Annie Jane's sister (my aunt Margaret came to visit us in England when my sister was born in 1968 and we went to see her a few time when we visited Scotland. - Aunt Margaret looked after my great grandmother Margaret Muir nee Alexander - we went for tea occasionally and I don't really remember too much about her other than the fact that she was incredibly ancient (she was 92 when she died) and she was a Glasgow Rangers supporter. My dad used to tease her and call her a bluenose!

I believe Annie Jane had brothers but I don't think we had any contact with them. It's quite a complicated story but maybe we can fill in some of the blanks for each other. I have a few certificates I can share with you if you are interested.

Offline miss muir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 August 17 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, wow, this is so exciting! Can't believe I've possibly found the same people....I'd love to see some of the documents you have.  I can't seem to find a way to private message you on here and since this forum is so public do you think we could correspond through email instead?

If your happy to do that, I'd be really keen to try filling In the gaps.

thanks again,
Jo Muir

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, wow, this is so exciting! Can't believe I've possibly found the same people....I'd love to see some of the documents you have.  I can't seem to find a way to private message you on here and since this forum is so public do you think we could correspond through email instead?

If your happy to do that, I'd be really keen to try filling In the gaps.

thanks again,
Jo Muir

You should be able to use PM (Personal Message) system now that you've made 2 posts-
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!