Author Topic: Nottingham Borough Asylum  (Read 10610 times)

Offline EJ419

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nottingham Borough Asylum
« on: Saturday 04 June 11 22:49 BST (UK) »
Greetings, Everyone. 

According to the 1901 census, one of my ancestors, Susan Sansom, was a patient in the Nottingham Borough Asylum in Mapperley.  The brief bit of information I have been able to find says it closed down in 1994, so I'm hoping that records still exist.  Does anyone know if there are records and, if so, how to access them?  I live in America, which makes tracking down items like these a little more difficult. 

Thanks for any help you can give.  :D

EJ 

Offline andy_h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham Borough Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 June 11 23:04 BST (UK) »
Nottinghamshire

Offline EJ419

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 June 11 06:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 June 11 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Nottingham Archives have the Admissions and case books for Nottingham Borough Asylum I was looking at them only last week. If you like I can have a look for you as I go there every week.
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline EJ419

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 June 11 18:10 BST (UK) »
That would be tremendous!  Thank you so much.  I'd be grateful for whatever you can find. 

Some of the particulars that might help:
Name: Susan Sansom
DOB: 1853 (give or take a year or two) in Mansfield
lived in Lenton, Notts prior to the asylum

Thanks again!

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 June 11 18:20 BST (UK) »
OK I'll do that for you may be on Tuesday or Friday as they are the days I go on, the archives is closed on Mondays.
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I went to the archives today and had a look for the Admin and case books for Sarah Sansom but the case book I need to look at covers the years 1888-1913 which covers the years we need being 1891-1901 are closed until 2014 so I cannot access it. Also looked for Adminissions books but 1891-1893 and 1898-1906 are missing, had a look at the book for 1894-1897 and she wasn't admitted in those years so we need the case book. You could email the archives to see if they would look at the case book for you which I'm sure they would but may charge a fee.

However I died find a burial for Sarah Sansom, she died 12 March 1915 a spinster aged 61yrs at City Asylum (Borough Asylum) buried at Nottingham Church (Rock) Cemetery on 16 March 1915 in Family Grave 5907.

As its a family grave I had a look to see who else was in the Grave;
John Reason died 22 Aug 1904 at Nottingham General Hospital aged 56yrs of 348 Radford Rd, buried 25 Aug 1904 grave purchased by Hannah Reason widow (wife)
and Hannah Harris died 27 April 1917 aged 65yrs wife of Charels Harris a gardener of 348 Radford Rd buried 1 May 1917.

Hope this helps.

Offline EJ419

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 18:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your hard work.  Though, the person I'm looking for is Susan Sansom, not Sarah Sansom.  Even so, the same obstacles would apply because of the dates.  Regardless, I still have more information now than I did before, so thank you.  I really appreciate all your help.  ;D

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Sorry did I put Sarah should have put Susan sorry about that, I'm so used to typing Sarah did it with thinking. 
I have a copy of the burial record so if you pm me your email address I can send you a copy :D