Author Topic: CHASTON/HARMER/CABLE Families  (Read 9982 times)

Offline dmtmdmtm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CHASTON/HARMER/CABLE Families
« on: Wednesday 05 August 09 18:31 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the link between these families. My great grandfather William Arthur Harmer married Caroline Chaston in 1905. I can find no trace of her in the census' before her marriage. William was killed, at sea I think, soon after in 1907/08 and Caroline went on to remarry but I do not know to whom. I know that there is some kind of strong link between the Harmer and Cable family as my grandfather used to regularly visit a Norman Cable in Aldeburgh and often referred to a James Cable as being close family. I have discovered that approx. 1880 an Emma Chaston married a Thomas Cable so I am wondering if the link is via the Chaston Family. Can anyone help with more info?

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Chaston/ Harmer/ Cable families
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 August 09 17:58 BST (UK) »
Do you have the marriage cert? Hopefully this will show Carolines father and his occupation. Also what was Carolines age and the witnesses may yield useful clues.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dmtmdmtm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CHASTON/HARMER/CABLE Families
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 09:12 BST (UK) »
Yes I have the marriage certificate now but no clues really. Caroline's father is not given -- just a line drawn in the box. according to the certificate she was 21 years old and her address was 49 Mariner Street. One of the witnesses was an Elizabeth Barnard -- I think there is a connection between the Barnard and the Cable family but not sure exactly what yet. The other witness was a George Tasker who I think was the parish clerk so I don't think that will help. Not sure where to go now but hoping to stumble across a breakthrough soon !!!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 13:47 BST (UK) »
I cannot find Caroline in 1891 or 1901 either.

Think your only option is to get her birth certificate - Caroline Chaston's birth is registered June quarter of 1884 at Plomesgate district.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Indigogirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 August 09 23:50 BST (UK) »
I've seen Cable as Keable (and that as other variations like Keeble/Keble/Kable) so it might be worth bearing that in mind when you are searching.
Edwards, Williams, Griffiths, Gittins in Denbighshire, Merionethshire
Edwards, Price/Peirce in Monmouthshire.
Kosh in London and Newcastle.
Turnbull, Elder, Forster in Newcastle
Smart, Raycord/Record in Rowley Regis,Staffs
Edwards in Pontefract, Castleford, Matlock
Frith, Gregory in Matlock
Wadsworth, Shephard in Brotherton
Fagan, Lawless in Sheffield

Offline chaston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 August 10 23:45 BST (UK) »
Know about Cable and Chastons. My aunt. Ethel Chaston, visited Norman Cable a lot. He left her his cottage in Aldeburg when he died. One of the Cables was married to a Chaston, then he went on to marry another Chaston. He had at leat 9 children from both. Have info in my family tree.
Regards Colin Chaston

Offline chaston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 August 10 00:04 BST (UK) »
I am Colin Chaston. My aunt Ethel chaston used to stay with Norman Cable in Aldeburgh, and he used to vist her in Haringey and Enfield. I have a family tree with the link to the Cable's (One Cable married two Chaston sisters)

Offline bluebell08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
chaston/harmer/barnard
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 June 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
My grandmother, Elizabeth Barnard, nee Harmer, was the witness at the marriage of William Harmer and Caroline Chaston mentioned in a post in 2009. I would like the writer of that post to communicate with me if possible, as cannot respond to post as locked.

Moderator comment: topic unlocked and merged

Offline bluebell08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cable/Chaston/Barnard/Harmer
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 June 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
Moderator comment: this post was "orphaned" elsewhere - now merged with relevant thread.

Hi Theresa,

Re locked post concerning Chaston/Harmer/Cable

Elizabeth Barnard, witness of marriage of William Harmer and Caroline Chaston, was my grandmother and her maiden name Harmer, so believe that William was her brother?

Elizabeth left her husband and lived with my grandfather, Thomas William Cable, born 1887 in Aldeburgh, son of Thomas Cable and his wife, Emma, nee Chaston.

Billy Harmer and his wife used to holiday/weekend in Aldeburgh and bring Norman Cable, brother of my grandfather to visit.  Colin Chaston, who is also in the thread and whose Aunt was Ethel Chaston, had relatives Fred and Ktty Chaston, who also used to visit Aldeburgh and bring Uncle Norman to visit us.

I was of the understanding that Billy Harmer, was a double first cousin of my fathers, i.e. brother and sister married another brother and sister, but am unsure how Caroline Chaston fits with the Cables.

Regards,

Sue