Author Topic: Parents of Ann Henderson (abt 1853 -1923)  (Read 20299 times)

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
Parents of Ann Henderson (abt 1853 -1923)
« on: Monday 06 June 11 13:46 BST (UK) »
Good morning Chatters. Can you help me please?

I'm looking for information on Ann Henderson (abt 1853 - 18 Feb., 1923) who married Robert Bain (1858-1913). They lived at Crommie Cottage, Kingswell. I have the inscription from the tomb stone (which gives me death dates) & the statement of the disposition of the estate following Ann's death (so I know she was still living at Crommie Cottage.)

Here is the link to my prior research on the Bains & Cheynes of this branch of my family.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,510123.0.html

Ann Henderson married Robert Bain. I can't find a birth or marriage record that would tell me the names of her parents. Can you help?

I also can't find a record of her death (except the tomb stone & the disposition of the estate.)

The reason I'm asking is that I received a message from a very distant cousin by way of An****y, who says that Ann is a descendant of (apologies for uppercase, but that's how it came to me):

"... MARY FINDLATER/DAVID WATT / EDWARD MARTIN THEN STAY WITH MARTINS ..I WAS BLOWN AWAY TO FIND OUT THAT WE BOTH ARE DECEDENTS OF CHARLEMAGNE AND I TRACED BACK 89 GENERATIONS OF TO THE TIME BEFORE CHRIST OF LONG LINE OF FRANK KINGS AND ROYALTY THAT IS UNBELIEVABLE"

Of course I'm curious, but I have learned my lesson well.  Everything that goes into my tree is cross referenced & verified. I've spent too many hours backtracking & correcting.  ;D

Can you help please?
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Ann Henderson (abt 1853 -1923)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 June 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
If you look at the Scotland's People site you will be able to find the marriage and death certificate, both of which will give the parents' names. The death certificate will be easy as you have a year and area. I'm sure the marriage certificate will be easy to find if you search using both surnames.

Re Charlemagne et al, his ancestry can't be traced back very far. There are mediaeval genealogies which take his line back to Adam, but there is no hard evidence for it at all. It is not impossible to get back that far if you can find a definite ancestor descended from a king or one of the major noble houses. I have one line where I have been able to do this with documentary evidence all the way, but I have had to wade through lots of fiction and weed out lots of wishful thinking and nonsense to sort it all out. The key thing is to work back all the time and establish proven links from generation to generation. You will sometimes see posts from folk who are pretty confident about 12th century ancestors, but don't really know who their great grandparents were.

Graham.

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 June 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
If you search Scotlandspeople for Ann Bain with no other surname dying between 1920 and 1925 you get 6 deathes there is one for Ann Bain in Peterculter west aged 70 and I would think this would be a good bet for your Ann

Sorry I don't have anymore credits or else I would have looked for you

Norma

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 11 16:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the direction GR2 & higgsy. I'm in the process of registering with Scotlandspeople - just waiting on passwords & such to arrive in my inbox.

If I were in Aberdeenshire, would the information regarding the marriage exist there or is Scotlandspeople the one-&-only source? (Just curious as I'm coming to Scotland this summer.)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 June 11 16:54 BST (UK) »
Scotland's People has the births, marriages and deaths from 1855, the censuses from 1841 - 1911, wills up to 1900 and the Church of Scotland parish registers from the 1550s up to 1854. If you visit their headquarters in Edinburgh, it costs £15 a day to search and see everything, including bmds to date. You can do similar searches from some of the larger registry offices elsewhere, but their spaces are very limited. The kirk session minutes can be useful for the 18th and earlier 19th century if you have a case of illegitimacy that can't be solved by looking at the parish registers. They are in the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh. They have an on-line catalogue. The Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire Archives are in Aberdeen. They have an on-line catalogue. It is worthwhile planning very carefully in advance what you want to find out before visiting Scotland.

Graham.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 June 11 17:02 BST (UK) »
TX for the advice GR2. I'm trying to nail down as much as I can before we get on the plane so that I can spend my time trying to bring down my brickwalls. You've been very helpful on some of my other queries. TX as always.

My great aunt's notes indicate that Ann Henderson was born in Locel Cushnie, Aberdeenshire. After doing some Google searches, I'm guessing that  what should be reflected there is Leochel-Cushnie. Would that be your thought as well?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 June 11 17:33 BST (UK) »
Leochel-Cushnie is the current spelling. When you get onto Scotland's People, first look at her death certificate (you have the year and know where she died, so you'll get it first time. You can search under her maiden or married name or both). Then look for the marriage certificate using both surnames. If you have a definite place and date for the birth of one of her children, the birth certificate will also give you the date and place of marriage. If you check the 1901 or 1911 census (as you now know her age and you already have her address in 1911), that will give you her parish of birth (she should be under her married name). When you have her parents' names and her age from the death or marriage certificate, you can look for her birth/baptism in the parish registers and her parents' marriage (if they were recorded). If she was born in or after 1855, you will get her birth certificate under the bmds. If her parents were alive when she married, that will help you pin down possible locations for them in a census or enable you to find their death certificates.................. and so it goes on, one thing leading to another.............

Graham.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 June 11 17:47 BST (UK) »
TX again GR2. I had to read that over 2x to fully absorb it, but I think I'm following you now.  ;D

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 June 11 19:18 BST (UK) »
There is an Ann Henderson born c 1854 in  leochel-cushnie on the 1861 census. She is living with grandparents William and Ann Dewar

and in the 1871 census there is an Ann Henderson stepdaughter to a James Procer?

Norma