Author Topic: John & Christina MacK/McKenzie  (Read 7229 times)

Offline smidget

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John & Christina MacK/McKenzie
« on: Tuesday 07 June 11 02:08 BST (UK) »
I have received the following death notice that was published in the newspaper when my great aunt passed away.

MACKENZIE – At 218 Rosslyn Street, Kirkcaldy on the 4th August 1960, in her 96th year Christina Alexander, beloved wife of the late John MacKenzie late of Watergate, Cleish.

Christina and Johns youngest daughter Jessie Burns Mackenzie passed away in 1977.
John MacKenzie passed away in Glasgow in 1924.
Would anyone have any knowledge of this MacKenzie family? There was another daughter Mary McDonald MacKenzie born in 1908 which I've been unable to locate.

I would like to know if they are buried in Cleish and if so, would there be a stone with maybe a clue as to where I might look for information on Mary.

Thanks
Janet

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: John & Christina MacK/McKenzie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 June 13 20:09 BST (UK) »
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.britisles.scotland.krs.general/635/mb.ashx

You may be lucky enough to get someone to have a look or may already have the info. I just had a quick look, not read it all.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 June 13 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

When you say you can't locate Mary McDonald, do you mean you can't find her birth nor a marriage nor a death?

Not quite sure what you mean exactly - sorry  :-\

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline smidget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 July 13 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
I have seen Mary McDonald MacKenzie's birth certificate and she is listed in the 1911 census so I know she existed. I can find no further trace of her after that. A relative has told me that she believed Mary was handicapped in some way and never married.
This person has also told me that she recalls meeting Christine & her daughters Jessie and Mary sometime in the 1950's so Mary definitely survived to adulthood. I have found Christine and Jessie's death notices in Kirkcaldy but cannot find anything regarding Mary.
Janet

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 July 13 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

The fact that Mary MacDonald was handicapped could make a big difference.
She may have lived in a home for handicapped with her parent's having her possibly for visitation rights if they were unable to look after her full-time themselves?
This is only a suggestion of course so you could maybe post another query as to whether there was such a place in or near Fife?
I believe there may have been such a place in/around the Dunfermline area but don't want to send you on a wild goose chase as I'm not certain. I was only thinking that, if she died in such a place her death would possibly/probably be recorded in that area?

Hope it helps a bit.

Annie.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

On www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  there are only 2 deaths in Fife of a " Mary Mackenzie" with a birth year of 1908 if you use +/- 2 years this moves to 11

Yours Aye
BruceL