Author Topic: Reid family Waterside Londonderry  (Read 4795 times)

Offline Kaz206

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reid family Waterside Londonderry
« on: Tuesday 07 June 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, wonder if anyone could help me?  Have been researching Reid family and feel I'm at a dead end. 

1901 census - 10 Irish Street Londonderry, Michael Reid 40 and Lizzie Reid 31.
1911 census - 4.1 Bond Street Londonderry, Michael Reid 60 and Elizabeth 45.

I know these to definitely be my relatives but can't seem to get further back.  As Michael aged 20 years between the two census's it's hard to know which is correct and I can find no clear birth records for him.

His wife Elizabeth nee Doherty was from Donemanna and again there is a discrepancy in her age and i can find no record.  I think the later age may be more accurate as her son Samuel is aged 16 in the 1901 census which would mean she was only 15 when she had him.

Michael was a protestant and Elizabeth a roman catholic.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks Kaz
McGahey Londonderry, Jarvis Londonderry, Fulton Londonderry, Dunn Londonderry, Reid Londonderry, Guy Londonderry, Canning Londonderry, Brown Londonderry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reid family Waterside Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 21:00 BST (UK) »
For reference here's the family in 1911 census- Michael Reid apparently wasn't able to write so it's not surprising there are differences in the 2 records-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_No__5_Urban/Bonds_Street/605925
According to census marriaed 27 years so c1884. The marriage certificate should list fathers' names and occupations as well as residence and bride and groom at time of marriage.

Here's that same family in 1901- notice that Lizzie's listed as born Londonderry City (Co. Tyrone in 1911)- strangely enough this census says Michael can read & write-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Waterside/Irish_Street/1540430
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    29 May 1884 Michael Reid married Elizabeth Doherty in St. Enochs Church of Ireland, Londonderry.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
Correction. Church above should read All Saints Clooney Church of Ireland, Londonderry.
Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Kaz206

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 21:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to getting back to me so quickly.  You have both given something to go on and it's much appreciated.

Kaz

McGahey Londonderry, Jarvis Londonderry, Fulton Londonderry, Dunn Londonderry, Reid Londonderry, Guy Londonderry, Canning Londonderry, Brown Londonderry

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 16:12 BST (UK) »
A little more info, if the above marriage is correct, fathers name is also Michael Reid,

I see a Church birth record for a Michael Reid, father Michael Reid in 1854 Glendermott COI, All Saints Clooney wasn't built at that time so Glendermott would have been the COI Parish church for the Waterside area of Londonderry in that time period.
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Kaz206

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 20:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Joe for your help.  It would seem "Michael Reid" was a popular name in this family!

Offline Niamh Reid

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 July 15 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hello. My name is michael reid. My father was Samuel reid, born 1925. We are originally from 4 bond street. His father was michael reid and his father was also michael reid. From the parish of glendermott. A lot of your details are matching with mine apart from a few dates. I would interested in hearing more from you.

Offline Kaz206

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 August 15 19:42 BST (UK) »
It is the same family Niamh as you now know.  It just occurred to me that I should have asked if Elizabeth Doherty's father's name was listed on her marriage record as I still have had no progress with this line of the family.  Can anyone check for me please? Thanks