Author Topic: Baptism NEWMAN Rebecca c1834 Southrop - possibly non-conformist?*COMPLETED*  (Read 1686 times)

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am seeking assistance to find a baptism/birth record for Rebecca NEWMAN born abt 1830-35, 
probably in Southrop.  Her parents married there. Her parents were John NEWMAN and Marion/Miriam/Mary/ Mary Ann WILKINS

I think they might have been non-conformists
       Rebecca migrated to Australia in the 1850s and married in the Independent Congregation         
       (Congregational Church)

Thanks

Barb

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism NEWMAN Rebecca c1834 Southrop - possibly non-conformist?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

John and Mary Newman had their daughter Rebecca baptised at St Peter's Southrop 6 April 1834.  John was a labourer at the time.

Hope this helps you.

Elizabeth

Offline adoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi there, I am new here and am looking for information on Rebecca Newman's parents if you have anything? I am stuck on her. Thanks in advance.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Just for background

Ancestry

Marriage at Southrop - 8 April 1833

John NEWMAN of this Parish, Batchelor

Mary WILKINS - resident in the same Parish, Spinster

witnesses: Elizabeth & Robert SELLARS

1841 census
Southrop Hook

Miriam NEWMAN - 25 - Ag Lab (not born in County)
Rebecca NEWMAN - 7
George NEWMAN - 5
James NEWMAN - 2

---

Tree on Ancestry gives

Lydia 1843

and then Mary NEWMAN died 13 March 1848 Eastington Workhouse

---

I would expect there to be family names to be used - either from Miriam or John

? any records

---

John NEWMAN isn't at home on the 1841 census

but could be

???

1841 census, North Cerney (about 15 miles away)

John NEWMAN aged 25 Ag Lab  (along with other Ag Labs)

people often went around the area for work as labourers

Offline adoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism NEWMAN Rebecca c1834 Southrop - possibly non-conformist?*COMPLETED*
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 June 17 10:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I have most of that information. I cannot get any more information about Rebecca's parents apart from their names really - they do not even have "hints" on Ancestry.

I have had numerous names for Mary Wikins (Miriam, Marian, Mary, Mary-anne) and the other information I have is that she died in India. However, I do not know if this is correct.

My grandmother told me that Rebecca was Jewish - possibly assimilated? She was always adamant that her father-in-law Leonard was Jewish and he was the grandson of Rebecca.

Offline gayenz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi
Good to see another Malcolm / Newman researcher. Welcome.

There actually is a lot of data on Ancestry about Rebecca Newman's family as it has been thoroughly researched at various times by a group of us. We were all brought up with various facts ie the fact that she had been apparently Jewish and that they had gone to India. The last one was from one of the 1st family trees posted online about 10 years ago. Both "facts" or assumptions have since been disproved. Believe me I wanted that bit of Jewish to back up the fact that I had "bunked" school on Jewish Holidays.

I am assuming that the Leonard you mention was Leonard M Carr, son of Grace Malcolm & John Bryan Carr, daughter of Rebecca and John Frederick Malcolm. If that is the case - excellent as I don't have any data for his specific line.

I go down the line of a brother of Grace Malcolm, John Alexander Malcolm. Other researchers go down the various sister's lines - Vida Elaine Malcolm, Florence Starling Malcolm and Blanche Mary Malcolm.

Anyway, happy to help out where you need it. My Ancestry Tree is under GayeNZ - Grieve Family Tree.

Cheers and good to meet you.
Gaye

Offline adoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Gaye,

nice to meet you and thanks for posting.

Yes Leonard M Carr was my great grandfather. My grandfather was John Finlay McCallum Carr, son of Leonard M Carr.

The information I had about India I had found (I think) on Ancestry about 10 years or so ago online and at the time I thought it a bit strange but still have it in my tree in the absence of any other data.

The information I had about Leonard being Jewish came orally from my grandmother Irene Matilda Carr (nee Simpson). She had always maintained this and I remember hearing it from her from a young age.

I am actually not a member of Ancestry anymore, it costs too much and I do not use it enough to warrant the cost, it is only now and then as I get spare time that I look into my tree.

My email address is gypsylee8@gmail.com and I can give you information about our line. My mother is Margaret Carr, daughter of John and Irene Carr.

Regards,

Alana