Author Topic: Snedden\Stanners of Bo'ness  (Read 38013 times)

Offline Helensj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Snedden\Stanners of Bo'ness
« on: Thursday 09 June 11 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have just started tracing my family tree and thought I'd post on here to find out if anyone had any information about these families. Unfortunately my grandparents died long ago so I know very little. I have ancestors in common with Meggy1 through Thomas Stanners and Christina McCallum but I don't have much info on their children and grandchildren.

The info I already have is
Richard Snedden married Janet Williamson Stanners (daughter of Thomas & Christina) in 1896 and had 9 children that I know of.

George, Thomas, Joan or Johan or Johanna, Richard (my grandfather) and Robert. I have a document showing these people were deceased by 1980, the other 4 I haven't listed as I don't know when/if they died. 

My ggrandfather Richard Snedden is listed as a stonemason and master builder and was one half of the partnership of Jipps & Snedden in Bo'ness. His parents were George Snaddon and Johanna, possibly Lumsden.

I tried to search for both George Snedden and Joan's death cert  (she became Joan Calder) on Scotland's people but had no success. 

If anyone has any info or family stories about these people I would be very grateful if you could share them with me.

Thanks,

Helen

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Snedden\Stanners of Bo'ness
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 June 11 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen.

Firstly, Welcome to RC.  I know folk on here will help you.

I used to be on this forum a lot but haven't been regularly for a long while.  Your post made me jump!  I have only ever known one family called Stanners.  Not relatives, but neighbours. 

I've sent an email to (*them*) directing to your post.  At this point, I'm not sure whether they will be interested or not but I hope there is some connection.

You WILL get help on Rootschat, (maybe not on THIS thread although I'll do my best).

Good luck.

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 June 11 00:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome Helen!

Your first port of call should be Douglas grant's excellent research at:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=djgrant&id=I03229

Click on each name to find out more about the person and also let you see who the parents were.

Douglas has got your Snadden line going back to John Snadden, b.1715.

Check out the index - there are enough Snaddens in there to keep you going for years!

With regard to Stanners - let me know if you need more info going back from Thomas & Christina, as I've got their ancestors on my tree going back to Malcolm Stanners b.1716.

All the best,

AG
Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 June 11 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
I don't think we've crossed paths before.
However, If my Stanners friends are interested, I'll get back in touch... if you don't mind.

Off topic..... I notice you have Rooney.  I assume Irish.  My Grandmother was a Rooney but I'm struggling with her family.  Always a remote chance we're connected or that you've found Rooney's relevant to my family.  Do you mind if I send you a PM?

Dave
-------------------

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 June 11 08:17 BST (UK) »
Dave,

No bother, got tons of info on both fronts.

Send me a PM.

AG

Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 June 11 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen, welcome!

Interesting that we have ancestors in common through Thomas and Christina! My Granny was one of their daughters - Margaret Stanners who married James Finlay Stanners Bell.
They went on to have 3 daughters.( only 1 still alive) I've heard the name Sneddon being mentioned, but didn't realise the connection. Sadly, I wish I'd started this when people were still with us.

I've traced back to Christina's parents Neil McCallum and Julia Campbell in Argyllshire. Let me know if you would like the info. I also have a photograph of the Stanners Family.

The names I have to hand Of Thomas and christina's children are Margaret Stanners, Julia C.,
Janet W., Christina McC., , James who emigrated to USA and Gilbert, Neil and Thomas. These last 3 all died in WW!. I have the info if you would like it.

I've had a lot of help from Alan Gow and Carol W on RC.

It would be nice to "pool" our knowledge!

Regards

Meggy1
Stanners, Bell, Ramsay, Kerr, Scougall, Gibb, Archibald, Todd, Laird Johnston, Cosgrove, Robertson.

Offline Helensj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 June 11 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks everyone for all your replies.

Thanks for your help Dave.

I'll check out Douglas Grant's tree for the Snaddons, thanks for that Alan.

Meggy, it would be great to pool information. My grandfather died in 1949 so my mum doesn't remember much as she was still a kid. My info has mostly come from an elderly aunt who is in Australia, she started the family tree but isn't online so couldn't go back further than her grandparents. I'm trying to find out what happened to her aunts and uncles and then trace it back while she is still with us so I'd really appreciate your info.  If it would be possible to see the photo you have of the Stanners that would be great too. Thanks for your help.

Helen

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 June 11 19:41 BST (UK) »

Your first port of call should be Douglas grant's excellent research at:

Hey Alan,thanks for that link,I think some of my Snaddons and Gibbs must be related there somewhere,they were lurking around the same area Corbiehall and the names Richard and Euphan in particular crop up in my lot as they do on there.Will have to look into that when I have some time.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 June 11 03:28 BST (UK) »
Helen, I haven't heard from my Stanners friends yet.  I'm not sure whether that means they are uninterested, but they may be on holiday.  I'll let you know if I hear from them.

Alan, I sent you a PM re Rooneys earlier.

Dave
-------------------