Author Topic: Snedden\Stanners of Bo'ness  (Read 38322 times)

Offline MUCKLEJOCK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Snedden\Stanners of Bo'ness
« Reply #36 on: Friday 03 October 14 03:10 BST (UK) »
I posted this in the wrong place at first. My first attempt after signing up. Meggy1, I noticed the names Finlay Stanners. My Grandmother was Helen Finlay Stanners Bell. Her husband was John Thompson Bell. Her sons were Alexander (Band Sandy), John (Old Kirk beadle), James (coop baker) and Walter (Carriden pit). She lived at the Anchorage on Philpingstone Road and died in 1941. Are we related?
GIBB, BELL, STANNERS, GRANT,

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 03 October 14 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Mucklejock 

We are indeed related! My Grandfather was James (the baker) and he married my granny who was Margaret Stanners Bell. I have a picture of your grandparents hanging on the wall! I remember hearing of Band Sandy too. James (Jimmy) and Margaret had three girls - Christine, Helen (twins) and Margaret, my mum. Sadly, only Helen is still alive (93), Christine died in 1996 and my Mum passed away in 1998. Coincidently, it would have been her birthday today.
If you would like, I can email you some pics. Just send me a Private Message, as we are not allowed to post email addresses publicly on the forum.

Kind Regards,
Meggy1
Stanners, Bell, Ramsay, Kerr, Scougall, Gibb, Archibald, Todd, Laird Johnston, Cosgrove, Robertson.

Offline MUCKLEJOCK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 05 October 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
Alan, We've established that meggy1 and Mucklejock are related through Helen Finlay Stanners and
John Thompson Bell, third cousins. Now, where do you fit into the picture? Are they in your family tree? What branch are you on?
Regards.
John

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Please forgive my late response Mucklejock!

I'm not a Stanners descendant but my Granny's sister Mary Jane Murray McMeeking was married to Thomas (Tom) Hamilton Stanners so I've accumulated a lot of Stanners info through the years.

To summarise the ancestral line:

Tom < Walter < John (bro of Helen Finlay Stanners) < Walter < Malcolm < Malcolm < Malcolm Stanners (b. 1716).

Let me know if I can help in anyway?

All the best,

G67

Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard

Offline MUCKLEJOCK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jock,
That line goes back three generations further than I was able to find. I got as far as Walter Stanners married to Helen Finlay. Can you let me have the rest of that line of Stanners. Did you identify when the Stanners brothers came down from, I believe, Glen Morriston area?

Offline MUCKLEJOCK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Alan, Why did I call you Jock?
Going back into the communication thread, I see that you probably have provided some of the information I wanted. Thanks for your help. I am a great grandson of Helen Finlay Stanners.
Keep in touch.
Mucklejock.

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 14:00 GMT (UK) »
OK John.

If you go back to page 1 of this discussion and work your way through it should all become clearer.

See also https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:M723-48B

Malcolm Stanners b. 1781 married Elizabeth Adamson.

They were the parents of Walter Stanners b. 1806 who married Helen Finlay.

I've also sent you a private message.

G67
Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard

Offline dagny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 20 April 15 04:08 BST (UK) »
Richard Sneddon (b. 1801) was my 2nd great grand uncle!  Anyway, I've been researching this branch recently and believe that Richard's parents were John Snaddon and Elisabeth Bouch.  They married "clandestinely" 8 June 1794.  Richard's sister Jean Sneddon (who married Alexander Brown) was my 2nd great-grandmother.  Some folks have Elisabeth Bouch as "Agnes Elisabeth" Bouch and her surname has been recorded in a number of ways.  I would love to know her ancestry too.  Anyway, other trees that I've seen online do not have my Jean Sneddon and I think that is because 1)  she was married before 1841 and cannot be found with the rest of the family as she married in 1838, and 2) I am told that there was a gap in birth records around the time she was born (ca. 1816). 

If you'd like to compare notes or share info, you could email me:  libertybelle76@comcast.net

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 20 April 15 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Dagny, do you know who the parents were of the Alexander Brown you mentioned.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth