Author Topic: Snedden\Stanners of Bo'ness  (Read 38013 times)

Offline dagny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Snedden\Stanners of Bo'ness
« Reply #45 on: Monday 20 April 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
Yes.  Alexander Brown's parents were James Brown and Mary Anderson.  Alexander Brown (b. 6 Feb. 1803 in New Monkland) married Jean Sneddon 24 Nov. 1838 in Polmont, Stirling.  Record says Jean was "in the parish of Bo'ness."  I think this could have been Alexander Brown's second marriage as he seems to have had a son George born ca. 1821.  Spelling on surnames of Sneddon and Bouch seem to vary.  Jean became the widow of Alexander and remarried to a Thomas Smith in 1862.  Unfortunately on Jean's death record in 1903 in New Monkland, her mother's maiden name was recorded as "Butch."  On her marriage to Thomas Smith (1862) it was recorded as "Budge."  Are you related to any of these folks?

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 08:37 BST (UK) »
Not to any of these, though I do have Brown and Sneddon ancestors in Bo'ness. I wondered about the Alexander you mentioned but he's not one of mine.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Just been browsing through the STANNERS posts and wondered if my great grandmothers 2nd husband, JOHN STANNERS, belonged to any of the families mentioned.
He was born to parents John and Ann Stanners nee McIntosh, Bo'ness Scotland on the 2nd Feb 1871 and had siblings Agnes, Annie, George, James, Julia, and Jeannie.
He came to Australia around 1909-1911 (best guess) and married my great grandmother Hilda Hickey, (a widow with 4 children) in Victoria in 1912.They had two more children together Jeanne McIntosh Stanners in 1913 and Douglas John Stanners in 1914.These two children were sent to Canada by their paternal Aunt, Jeannie Hastie nee Stanners in the early 1920's  when they became orphaned (John died in 1919 and Hilda in 1920). I think that they went to another paternal aunt or uncle to be raised but not really sure.
Do this lot of Stanners fit on anyone's family tree?..I don't know very much else about them, or anything about John before he came to Australia.
Kasden

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Kasden,

Yes - but I think you have John's father's name wrong - should be JAMES Stanners?

If that's right then your John is part of this branch http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=djgrant&id=I2415

If you click on the links to each ancestor you will end up at Malcolm Stanners and Agnes Taylor (b 1722).

Hope this helps but let us know if you need any further help?

G67
Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 00:48 GMT (UK) »
yes , your right G67, I did mean JAMES not John.. sorry , my error :) thanks for the link.
Kasden

Offline Jac66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 30 January 20 23:47 GMT (UK) »
   I stumbled across this site/thread and am so excited! I am a descendant of the Stanners-turned-Stanhouse line. I have researched off and on for years. I have to admit I am still confused. I am even unsure of exact name spellings.
   James Stanhouse, born 1840 in Bo'ness, Ann Snaddon, born 1836 in Bo'ness are my great great grandparents. Their daughter, Katie, born in 1864 in Bo'ness (not long before they emigrated to the United States) is my great grandmother.
   Any information welcome!

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 31 January 20 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jac66,

It is confusing trying to follow the various Stanners! My limited understanding is that possibly one set of Stanners travelled with Brigham Young, of the Mormon Church and the name was changed to Stanhouse because of accent difficulties! I'm guessing you possibly already know this.
They ended up in DuQuoin?  As I say, my knowledge of this part of the family is limited. Gow67 is more knowledgable than me I think.  Are you on Ancestry at all? There are a few trees on there with Stanners branches, (including mine ) . It might be worth a look.

Meggy
Stanners, Bell, Ramsay, Kerr, Scougall, Gibb, Archibald, Todd, Laird Johnston, Cosgrove, Robertson.

Offline Jac66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 31 January 20 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Meggy,
   I had not heard of the Mormom following. I believe they were already established out west by the time my direct line arrived. They were coal-miners in the Randolph/Perry county area and did end up in DuQuoin. I am on Ancestry.

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 20 February 20 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jac66,

Nice to hear from you!

If you start at page 1 here and work forward there is a lot of info for you.

The Brigham Young ref comes from https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DXp9Gkkh8Z8C&pg=PA278&lpg=PA278&dq=malcolm+stanners+Bo%27ness+Scotland&source=bl&ots=MV7dG3hGqW&sig=sCiOCRrmPVTDQYcoo9cHdMkWXhI&hl=en&ei=A-QmS_GSFYj-nAfzv_ivDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=malcolm%20stanners%20Bo'ness%20Scotland&f=false mentioned earlier.

Not sure about that but it seems to come from a local historical source in Perry County.

What is your user name on Ancestry?

G67
Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard