Author Topic: Snedden\Stanners of Bo'ness  (Read 38012 times)

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
Re: Snedden\Stanners of Bo'ness
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 June 11 08:53 BST (UK) »
Ok Dave.

Received the PM.

Yesterday was the Bo'ness Fair over 30s Football Tournament and I've sare legs this morning.

Get back to u soon. 

AG
Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 June 11 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks everyone for all your replies.

Thanks for your help Dave.

I'll check out Douglas Grant's tree for the Snaddons, thanks for that Alan.

Meggy, it would be great to pool information. My grandfather died in 1949 so my mum doesn't remember much as she was still a kid. My info has mostly come from an elderly aunt who is in Australia, she started the family tree but isn't online so couldn't go back further than her grandparents. I'm trying to find out what happened to her aunts and uncles and then trace it back while she is still with us so I'd really appreciate your info.  If it would be possible to see the photo you have of the Stanners that would be great too. Thanks for your help.

Helen

[/quote

Hi Helen

Would love to send you the photo - my husband is going to scan it at work as we don't have a scanner at home, so please bear with us!

I have a newspaper cutting that you might be interested in. It's pretty worn but from what I can make out, it's about "Granny Stanners" (Christina McCallum) It tells of how she belonged to the West Highlands and how her father lived to 107! (Neil McCallum)
It goes on to talk about the 9 children and the boys who were lost in WW1. Also mentions one son in the states and one son in Alloa. At that time, she had 22 grandchildren and 22 great grandchildren! She was living with her eldest daughter Mrs Wallace in Glasgow. It also mentions my granny as being another daughter (Margaret) and her daughter in law who lived at Post Office House.

I'm not sure when the article was dated or even why it was deemed newsworthy, but interesting never the less!

I have Thomas Stanners being born 6.5.1848 in Carriden with his parents Gilbert Stanners and Janet Williamson marrying in 1837.

Would love to hear what you have!

Regards
Meggy
Stanners, Bell, Ramsay, Kerr, Scougall, Gibb, Archibald, Todd, Laird Johnston, Cosgrove, Robertson.

Offline Helensj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 June 11 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Meggy,

Thank you very much. That all sounds very interesting. Would the daughter in law be Helen Stanners, wife of Gilbert by any chance? She was the only wife I noticed named in the WW1 records.

I haven't got anywhere near as far back as you yet, I am working on Janet Stanners family at the moment but it is very slow. I still haven't managed to trace all her children yet. Five of them show up on Douglas Grant's tree (the link provided by Alan) and I found them on Scotland's People too but I haven't had any success with the rest yet. I now know she had at least 10 children, one died in infancy. Janet married Richard Snedden in 1896. She was a domestic servant and he was a stonemason. 

There is a story in the family that there is a swedish connection through Janet so I would like to find out if it is true. I have a copy of a photo of Janet with her husband Richard Snedden and 6 children which must have been taken around 1906, if you would like a copy let me know. At the time her husband was a master builder in partnership with a Mr Charles Jipps in Bo'ness and they built a number of properties which were tenanted. They lost the business, I don't know if they actually went bankrupt or not and then moved to Linlithgow.   

My grandfather Richard Snedden was born in 1904 at Hopetown Terrace, Bo'ness, married Margaret Bain in Bridge of Weir, Renfrewshire in 1931 (name became Sneddon) and died in 1949 after a car fell on him (he was a motor mechanic). I believe he would have been your mother's cousin. Two of his sisters moved to Saltcoats in Ayrshire and Janet's husband also moved there to live with his daughters, no mention of Janet though. I'll let you know when I find out more.

Regards,

Helen

Offline Helensj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 June 11 22:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome Helen!

Your first port of call should be Douglas grant's excellent research at:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=djgrant&id=I03229

Click on each name to find out more about the person and also let you see who the parents were.

Douglas has got your Snadden line going back to John Snadden, b.1715.

Check out the index - there are enough Snaddens in there to keep you going for years!

With regard to Stanners - let me know if you need more info going back from Thomas & Christina, as I've got their ancestors on my tree going back to Malcolm Stanners b.1716.

All the best,

AG

Hi Alan,

Wow, there is so much information here, you could be right about keeping me busy for years! Thank you.

I copied the info you posted on Stanners for Meggy last year, following back the paternal line. Do you have Thomas Stanners' siblings names? Which Stanners are you connected to Thomas through?

Regards

Helen

Offline Helensj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 June 11 23:05 BST (UK) »
Helen, I haven't heard from my Stanners friends yet.  I'm not sure whether that means they are uninterested, but they may be on holiday.  I'll let you know if I hear from them.

Alan, I sent you a PM re Rooneys earlier.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for trying them anyway. The Grant tree is great. I've been taking a while to trace Snaddons as I first thought they were Sneddons, then found out it was Snedden and now Snaddon.  It should be  a bit more straightforward now.

Regards,

Helen

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 June 11 23:54 BST (UK) »
Helen,

Just to confirm for others:

THOMAS STANNERS B.1848 was the son of GILBERT STANNERS & JANET WILLIAMSON.

Backwards from From GILBERT STANNERS  Christening:  07 MAY 1815   Carriden, West Lothian

Father:  JAMES STANNERS   Mother:  KATHERINE KENNEDY   

We have JAMES STANNERS:

Birth:  12 FEB 1791   Grangepans, Carriden, West Lothian, Scotland
Christening:  17 FEB 1791   
Death:  26 SEP 1860   Grangepans, Carriden, West Lothian, Scotland
Burial:     Grangepans, Carriden, West Lothian, Scotland
Spouse:  Catherine Kennedy and/or McDonald 
Marriage:  22 JUL 1810   Grangepans, Carriden, West Lothian, Scotland

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/igi/individual_record.asp?recid=700123379831&lds=1&region=2&regionfriendly=&juris1=&juris2=&juris3=&juris4=&regionfriendly=&juris1friendly=All+Countries&juris2friendly=&juris3friendly=&juris4friendly=

Then his father JAMES STANNERS
Birth:   15 Aug 1753   Grangepans, Carriden, West Lothian, Scot.
Marriage: Christian MCNAUGHTON
Marriage:  5 Jun 1778  Grangepans, Carriden, West Lothian, Scotland

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/af/individual_record.asp?recid=3023966&frompage=0

Then his father MALCOLM STANNERS
Birth:   Abt 1716   Scotland
Spouse:  Agnes TAYLOR
Marriage:  May 1753  Grangepans, Carriden, West Lothian, Scotland

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/af/family_group_record.asp?familyid=590554&frompage=0

From the family group you will also see that Malcolm and Agnes also had a son called MALCOLM STANNERS b.1755 - one of his descendants Tom Stanners married my Granny's sister Mary, so I'm not personally descended from the Stanners but still interested.

One of Malcolm's other descendants is James Finlay Stanners Bell, who married Margaret Stanners, the one of the daughter of Thomas Stanners & Christina McCallum!!

As well as Margaret I have six other siblings - Julia, Janet, Christina, Gilbert, Neil and Thomas - although Meggy talks in a previous post about there being nine.

I'd also be grateful to have a copy of any photos and press article if possible?

Other Stanners descendants from Malcolm emigrated to the US, changed their name to Stanhouse and took part in the American Civil War.

But that's a story for another day...

AG

Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 June 11 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Would love to hear about the American Civil War!!

My Auntie used to say that wherever you went in the world, you'd find somebody connected to Bo'ness!!

Meggy
Stanners, Bell, Ramsay, Kerr, Scougall, Gibb, Archibald, Todd, Laird Johnston, Cosgrove, Robertson.

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 June 11 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

I've sent you a PM.

Just for interest, I have, according to the 1851 census, Neil McCallum and Julia Campbell living on Deer Island (Jura). He was aged 63 and she was 40 also had 2 children,Margaret age 6 and Christina age 2.
Oddly, Margaret doesn't appear on any other records. I've been trying to find out why but not having much luck!

Regards
Meggy

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 June 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
More on the Stanners worldwide tree:

First port of call should be the extensive research by Cindy Hawkins from Dallas, Texas:

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/h/a/w/Cindy-A-Hawkins/GENE5-0001.html - click on the links just like the Snadden webpages as before. NB - for some reason going to the index page is making my internet explorer close down.

Malcolm Stanners (b.1781) is the son of Malcolm Stanners b.1755, mentioned in earlier posts, who is the brother of James Stanners b.1753.

For more background info see:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/stanhouse/messages/1.html

And

http://books.google.com/books?id=DXp9Gkkh8Z8C&pg=PA278&lpg=PA278&dq=malcolm+stanners+Bo'ness+Scotland&source=bl&ots=MV7dG3hGqW&sig=sCiOCRrmPVTDQYcoo9cHdMkWXhI&hl=en&ei=A-QmS_GSFYj-nAfzv_ivDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=malcolm%20stanners%20Bo'ness%20Scotland&f=false

Looking through my own info I've also found another Snaddon/Sneddon & Stanners connection.

This time it relates to Nicolas Stanners b.1805 who was also the daughter of Malcolm Stanners b.1781 and Elizabeth Adamson mentioned above.

Nicolas (female) married Richard Sneddon/Snaddon in Bo'ness. Some of the descendants are in New Zealand, although I've lost their contact details.

Try searching on GenesReunited for Stanners and dates and you may find more info.

Hope this is of interest?

AG