Author Topic: HOLLINGSWORTH Family - butchers in Hertfordshire?  (Read 16938 times)

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOLLINGSWORTH Family - butchers in Hertfordshire?
« on: Friday 10 June 11 15:10 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about the Hollingsworth family who are descended from John Hollingsworth (c1653-c1740) and Elizabeth Smith (c1658-c1711). There seems to be a long tradition of the men being butchers. I have seen a note that they had stalls in Ware and Hertford markets - but have no idea how to verify that. In the next generation, Smith Hollingsworth appears to have been a butcher in Benington and three of his sons moved to London.  Ralph and Joseph seem to have been apprenticed to their older brother Thomas. Thomas is my direct ancestor and it looks as if he married three times. His second wife was Elizabeth Winder (.. they married in Bishopsgate, London in 1765). It  looks as if Elizabeth may also have come from Herfordshire, but I cannot find any record of her birth. Any connections or info about this family would be very welcome (as would any suggestions as to where I can find out more)
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: HOLLINGSWORTH Family - butchers in Hertfordshire?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 June 11 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Before we start ....................

"It  looks as if Elizabeth may also have come from Herfordshire"

Hertfordhire or Herefordshire?

::)
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 June 11 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry, should have put my glasses on... HERTFORDSHIRE was what I meant!

I think that the Thomas Hollingsworth I am looking for was christened (according to an IGI record) on 5 April 1738 in Ware, Hertfordshire. Only the father is named, and he was Smith Hollinsworth (sic). The same father is named for the brothers, Ralph and Joseph, mentioned in my earlier post. (For Joseph, the mother's name is also given as Alice - but I cannot yet find the marriage of an Alice to a Smith Hollingsworth)

Thomas Hollingsworth married Elizabeth Winder at St Botoph Bishopsgate, London, on 8 October 1765. The record states that Thomas was a widower, while Elizabeth was a spinster of St Peter le Poor (a parish in the city of London). I had assumed from this that Elizabeth was a Londoner and the only hints that she may not have been are two mentions in the National Archives on-line search:

"Thomas and Wm {William?} Hollingsworth (sons of the late Eliz {Elizabeth?} Winder)"  dated 1788 and relating to the sale of land.

and

" Elizabeth Winder now having married Thos {Thomas?} Hollingsworth. Youngs, etc. Signature - Thos {Thomas?} Sheppard. [Hertfordshire Archives, Title deeds, manorial...]
Date: 1743 - 1766 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives"

This seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be the same family, but I cannot (again 'yet') locate the birth of an Elizabeth Winder in Hertfordshire. If she came from London, then why would there be references to her, apparently, in documents relating to that county?

I have to say also, that the only children I have found from the marriage of Thomas Hollingsworth and Elizabeth Winder are the (presumably) twins, Jemima and William, christened on 4 November 1767 at St Giles Cripplegate - again back in the city of London.

So, whilst I had already found a link to Hertfordshire for Thomas Hollingsworth I had not, and still cannot, find a connection for his wife, Elizabeth Winder.

Any advice on where to look, or indeed any information which might be relevant, would be greatly appreciated.

Alan
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 June 11 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Winder may be a name by (a previous) marriage and not her birth name?

R

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 June 11 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

"Thomas was a widower, while Elizabeth was a spinster of St Peter le Poor " is what the marriage record states. That doesn't mean it is totally accurate, but that is all I have to go on.

Alan

Offline Redbourn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 13 20:01 GMT (UK) »
In London on 12 June 1848 my Thomas Skillman, butcher of Redbourn, Hertfordshire, married one Susannah Hollingsworth whose father was a butcher. They then lived in Redbourn and had a butchery business. She was born im Hoddesdon, Herts and he in Redbourn. This Hollingsworth family may then be linked to yours but I would like to know more about Thomas. We may have some common ground.

Offline Redbourn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 13 20:04 GMT (UK) »
P.S. her father was Thomas Hollingsworth. He's the Thomas I know very little about and would like to know more.

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 January 13 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. I've got a bit overwhelmed with the Hollingsworths! I don't (yet) have a Susannah but I have 15 Thomas Hollingsworths to date.

My direct link to the Hollingsworths ended when my 5x great-grandmother (Jemmima Hollingsworth) married at St Stephen's, Coleman Street in the city of London in 1791, so I haven't especially gone further into the 1800s. The extended family does seem to have lots of butchers in it however, and so it is quite likely that a connection between out families will emerge.

Keep in touch, and I'm sure that between us we will find a link. It seems too much of a coincidence.

Offline Dolphindoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
Alan H-From what I've seen Thomas and Elizabeth Winder had twins, Jemima and William Thomas.
I too am a descendant of this particular line of Hollingsworth and am interested in any and all information on their ancestors as well as descendants.
Redbourn- there are many susannah's but I don't recall one having a father named Thomas. but I could be wrong.

I would particularly like to know who Henry William Hollingsworth Jr.'s first wife was. On his marriage certificate to Frances Ellen Baxter, it states he was a widower. Unfortunately I don't have any records of a previous marriage for him.
Any  help would be greatly appreciated